Diwrnach

New window cleaner basing business off bashing wfp

Diwrnach

That is a really good point, depends where you live as well, see I live in the Cotswolds, and if you drive through some of the villages where I clean you would be hard pressed to find a house that doesn't either have Georgians or leaded windows, round this way there are tons of them, its only the fairly new estates that don't have them, and even half of those have Georgians.

Diwrnach

That is actually something I wanted to ask, went to look at a listed building the other day, they only wanted certain windows that weren't leaded done as the lady had tried to clean the leaded ones on the inside and ended up knocking some out and cost them a few hundred to fix.

Best to completely ignore these? I did consider offering to just rinse them with pure, and maybe they would come clean after awhile, but then the rain hasn't cleaned them so?

Any ideas?

Tuffers
That is actually something I wanted to ask, went to look at a listed building the other day, they only wanted certain windows that weren't leaded done as the lady had tried to clean the leaded ones on the inside and ended up knocking some out and cost them a few hundred to fix.

Best to completely ignore these? I did consider offering to just rinse them with pure, and maybe they would come clean after awhile, but then the rain hasn't cleaned them so?

Any ideas?

Proper leaded windows can leak water in using WFP as they are individual panes held in the lead and they can also be very delicate. Try using a very light brush like a Gardiners Xtreme.

TolishAPurd
Like he said, he knows both methods and for him WFP gives the best results, in his opinion. Not being disrespectful TAP, but have you used both methods?

I personally feel that there is a place for both, but if I can WFP a job instead of trad it, I will. It's quicker, safer, earns you your money quicker and on Georgians and leaded lights it definitely cleans better.

There you go, that's my opinion and I'm right :thumbsup:

Like fck are you :thumbsup: J/k.:)

I haven't tried both, but I don't need to have. I pick up customers every month that start the phonecall with "You don't use one of those pole things do you?". But I have the common sense to know that its the cleaners fault, and not the method. And I have the respect to not spout rubbish against WFP on the forum, despite what my opinions are on it. I know that each of these methods has its users here, but most importantly I know that people on here rely on each method for their livelihoods so a bit of tact is in order.

I've got no issue when people say about WFP being better for leaded, georgeans etc. Common sense would say that it is easier to brush these with a big brush then it is to squeegee each one individually, or using a cloth. But when someone says its better results, then its going to get the backs up of any tradders in the same way the trad muppet did on his website.

Also, what's best for the window cleaner, is not necasarily what's best for the customer.

For the record, I'm hoping to get a WFP trolley soon to use it for the times when WFP is desired or essential.

Smurf

Hi & welcome to the forum @Bilko&\#039;s Privates :thumbsup:

I could not agree more as I would much prefer to use a 30ft pole than a 30ft ladder for sure;)

Iv'e been window cleaning for well over twenty years now, so I know all about traditional and wfp methods.

You can talk all you want about which method gives the best results but in my option it's always wfp because it's about health & safety.

Natty1972

Might be better just to buff by hand than having water running inside on old lead windows ,,, Hell ive missed a good topic. M8 i wouldnt worry about that bloke. I live in a small village . We get 6 window cleaners coming and going . There is loads of work to get by word of mouth .keep cleaning your custies , keep your standards high , youll have nothing to worry about,

Guest SolarPanelCleaning

In the words of 'Dave Rabbit',

'Fuck it, before it fucks you'

That is all.

Tuffers

@TolishAPurd, read this quote and then re-read it. What I think he is saying is that you can argue which is best, but for him, he opts for WFP for health and safety.

Iv'e been window cleaning for well over twenty years now, so I know all about traditional and wfp methods.

You can talk all you want about which method gives the best results but in my option it's always wfp because it's about health & safety.

TolishAPurd
@TolishAPurd, read this quote and then re-read it. What I think he is saying is that you can argue which is best, but for him, he opts for WFP for health and safety.

I see what you mean now. It read a bit differently in my head. No offence meant, but I've read a lot of anti trad propaganda on here in the past so I think I just took this as another example of that. If you're still reading then sorry for jumping to conclusions Bilko.

Smurf

Trad ladder work is crap compared to wfp work. The only thing you get is a very tight bum hole when the ladder starts to slip or if you are very unlucky follow through. Then follows the aerobics in slow motion trying to land on your feet at the bottom. I should know I've been there :D

Guest boarcity

sure theres no risk of falling ,but with wfp long term theres the risk of dying early from obesity[very common, iv seen plenty who use the big gut to their advantage counterbalancing the pole ]never mind the neck problems iv read about. wfp is in its infancy so long term deficiencies are only now starting to appear

cant remember who offhand ,but somebody with an established firm was posting for advice on what to do about a worker of 23 yrs old who after a few yrs [5 ish ]fulltime pole now couldnt do it , i think it was his shoulder that had weakened badly from overuse

TolishAPurd
Trad ladder work is **** compared to wfp work. The only thing you get is a very tight bum hole when the ladder starts to slip or if you are very unlucky follow through. Then follows the aerobics in slow motion trying to land on your feet at the bottom. I should know I've been there :D

TBH, apart from the money, and ease of use on awkwards windows it just doesnt appeal to me. I couldn't think of anything more tedious then scrubbing each and every window with a long brush. At least with the squeegee you get to show off some skills. :)

TolishAPurd
sure theres no risk of falling ,but with wfp long term theres the risk of dying early from obesity[very common, iv seen plenty who use the big gut to their advantage counterbalancing the pole ]never mind the neck problems iv read about. wfp is in its infancy so long term deficiencies are only now starting to appear

cant remember who offhand ,but somebody with an established firm was posting for advice on what to do about a worker of 23 yrs old who after a few yrs [5 ish ]fulltime pole now couldnt do it , i think it was his shoulder that had weakened badly from overuse

Good point. I was out ofaction for 18 months due to a shoulder injury related to overuse. And believe me, it sucks.

Smurf

You big show off :D

Once you have a go with wfp you will soon realise it's not as easy as it looks as requires a whole new skill set to do it properly.

Same as trad really as if you don't have the skill the job will turn out shite.

cheapncheerful

ahhh did i miss all the fun....i :h: em both....and at times i :swear: at both too...

as for the full out attack by the bloke on wfp.....do a full out attack on trad.....me....as i say...i love em both...and use em both...every day....

which is better...what a load of :turd:...we should all leave a window clean...a clean window is clean...however it was cleaned...and at the end of the day...thats where our wages come from....

ahhh sorry to upset you all but.....i had to redo two jobs from yesterday....it wouldnt have mattered which method got em clean...hail makes a mess....all little black bits on the sills....nature is the boss..:D

Smurf

RSI occurs in all trades including trad and wfp window cleaning. The most common long term effects of trad window cleaners is knackered knee joints, back, shoulder, wrist and hand issues all down to repetitive strain on the body.

J D

Diwrnach your taking this too much to heart! If it helps then I'm willing to give you the number of the Knee Breakers Club ? Just ask for Tony Knuckles' and tell him i said this one is on the house.

All they do is call with the problem person , have a chat and a cup of tea, then break his knee caps. Its all very professional and you get a receipt for all work carried out.

And they are fully insured these days as well, just for piece of mind.