Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lighting ideas?

nick666

I do mainly gutters and with the dark nights was think of using some type of portable light.Have tried 72 led flat torch 2 or 3 might be OK -I think I can get eleci from customers but was wondering if anyone had found a good way of doing this safely-save me buying 50 torches ;-)

Do it in natural daylight is the safest way bud. Not only that ppl will think you are odd trying to check & clear guttering in the dark.

After saying that the only thing I might use if on a quote before it gets dark is when doing a quick gutter camera survey if the light is starting to fade a wee bit is to stick a light on the gopro pole cam so could record a vid properly to see what's inside the guttering. Other than that I only would work in natural daylight.

You just need to plan in advance to make sure whatever jobs you take on are finished before it starts to get dark.:thumbsup:

After saying that the only thing I might use if on a quote before it gets dark is when doing a quick gutter camera survey if the light is starting to fade a wee bit is to stick a light on the gopro pole cam so could record a vid properly to see what's inside the guttering. Other than that I only would work in natural daylight.
You just need to plan in advance to make sure whatever jobs you take on are finished before it starts to get dark.:thumbsup:
Exactly. All I'd add is to quote accordingly- so make sure your job/s are earning you enough for an early knockoff.

If you get caught out in an evening, then you probably can't beat a good quality head torch, that wayyou keep your hands where they belong- on the ladder.

I've just stitched myself up as was wanting a day off tomorrow but now have two gutter clearing only jobs to do (subject to weather)

One is a small easy front only for £65. The other is for an easy front, one side & back £125. Both are very close to each other and should take me no more than 3 hours to do both including travel time there and back..../emoticons/smile.png

Having the bottle to price jobs up properly is the key when doing gutter clearing quotes I think.

When I first started I would have charged £25 for that front only and around £65 for the other one but soon learnt that was way too cheap.

id say one of the best lamps is a Vapour lamp . they are normally 12 volt, i spose you could run a cable from your car/van

Thanks Smurf,Boar and Tolish.Compared to some I thought I got reasonable gutter cleaning prices but a hell of a lot to learn to get near Smurf's prices.When telling the client what I do I say we clean them and do a "gutter health check", which I think I nicked the phrase off Smurf -I used to call it an "mot for the gutter",,the health check includes examining down pipes and taking them off wall if needed,checking all seals and siliconing them if needed,making sure all clips are on properly,removing dead birds(no prizes for guessing how many in the last 7:years) and removing contents off site if it smells because of said dead birds or bird pooh.

Has anyone else any ideas on how to present the service to the customer or what they find justifies a higher price than just saying " I'll clean your gutters for £25". I am convinced the key to premium pricing is the presentation to the customer of the quality of the service and the importance of it to prevent potential big bills for damp.I would be very interested in your thinking regarding this Smurf if you have any top tips or would you have to shoot us afterwards ;-)

I think customer perception is the key for gaining premium priced work.

Anyone with a ladder could go knocking on doors asking ppl if the want there gutters cleared out. They would probably get loads of work selling on price alone too as many don't like using ladders to do it themselves. However the trick is to come across that you offer a professional gutter clearing service and will do the job properly and safely unlike a bloke with a ladder going around offering a cheap gutter clearing service for say £25.

Having the right kit, different methods and tools at your disposal and a wealth of experience tackling awkward jobs also proves to potential customers that you take your job very seriously so many will pay a premium knowing the job will be done properly & safely too.

Here are some sample pics of those jobs I did today if interested.

small front only job - downspout found to be blocked

View attachment 3205

Other job - side & back gutters & downspouts blocked

View attachment 3211

View attachment 3213

View attachment 3214

View attachment 3210

View attachment 3208

View attachment 3206

View attachment 3209

View attachment 3207

View attachment 3212

Tools & methods used

Guttercam - Gopro Hero 3+ with lcd touch screen bacpac

Iphone G3 - running gopro app

Guttervac - 3000 watt

Gutter Clearing Ladder System - Triple 12 rung combi ladder by BPS, Ankalad & Microlite Standoff

And even got me hands dirty too :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention I also use ppe....

hazard warning cones - for paving etc

hard hat - as I'm a bit of a headbanger

hi-viz jkt or vest - as I like to be seen

work boots - appropriate safety footware

work gloves - appropriate gloves for the job

I also have a ladder fall arrest system that I may use when doing ladder work if I feel it's required.

All this helps towards portraying a profesional image and also serves a purpose.

I always wear hi viz when on the gutters. Don't forget audible warning device smurf.... the clangy bucket. :thumbsup:

Back