Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Perplexed new starter

Ryskviking

Gentlemen,

Currently am starting my round from scratch and need your advice as things don't seem to go as expected. I'm not completely new to window cleaning - did it for nearly 2 years 4 years ago and stupidly sold my round being spooked by the harsh winter with snow and freezing conditions.

Now I'm starting anew, and as I cannot afford buying a round I need to canvass it up from scratch (doing my cleaning with a blade and a ladder).

I do not expect everybody I meet to agree their windows being cleaned - but reading your posts I find myself in a state of confusion.

Seems that people here can easily canvass up up to £60 or more within few hours, but in the last 3 days I've spent around 12 hours of knocking/asking and all I've got is £20 clean and a few weak "maybes".

I've tried a really old village, 18 years old estate as well as brand new houses - in all cases it either "no", "we have a cleaner" or (rarely) "we will think".

I'm confused. Few years ago canvassing was ever so easy - seem that every few houses there would be a willing customer waiting - and that was during recession!

Now it seem as if all houses are taken. I really want to get into this business as I love being out and about and being my own boss, increasing my salary at my own pace, but so far it is only frustration.

I live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire area (200k inhabitants) plus villages, so no lack of windows to clean. Or so I would like to think.

Are those times of window cleaning gone now? Too many window cleaners? What am I doing wrong?

Any sensible advice is welcome!

Thank you.

Welcome matey. :thumbsup:

Window cleaners are 10 a penny these days, but the good news is that decent ones are rare,so theres still plenty of work to be had. Its a tough time of year to be looking for work, so don't be downhearted, just keep pushing. I'm a cambridge lad, so not too far from you. If you need anything just ask.

Thank you for your welcoming message!

Yes, this is probably the worst time of the year to start window cleaning business, and the sound of a rain behind the window only confirms that.

:thumbsup:

ask ukip..../emoticons/biggrin.png hi and welcome

Ryskviking.....these have been very very strange times so perhaps your right...but sooner or later....you will get there...every business has to take a first step....keep plugging away...i think a certain other member has most of cambridgeshire on his books:rolleyes:

ask ukip..../emoticons/biggrin.png hi and welcome
Ryskviking.....these have been very very strange times so perhaps your right...but sooner or later....you will get there...every business has to take a first step....keep plugging away...i think a certain other member has most of cambridgeshire on his books:rolleyes:
Hope not, certainly so. I wonder if it is just me this "lucky" at canvassing or is it like that across the whole isle nowadays?

Wheresyour avi pic taken? Looks like the lake district.
Kinder Scout. Took a dip in a small lake on top of the mountain too. Think I've qualified to be a window cleaner after such shenanigans.

i dont canvass at present much...but i deliver 250 magazines every two weeks with the wife and if i see dirty windows in goes a card.....i usually find about 4 in every 250...and yes i do move around the area....and i have just had five jobs....months later....well four and one interested.....so it takes time.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Maybe just a bad area

Try moving half a mile and see what response you get

60 quid is realistic but so is 100 or bugger all

Luck of the draw on the day

And welcome fella

Maybe just a bad areaTry moving half a mile and see what response you get

60 quid is realistic but so is 100 or bugger all

Luck of the draw on the day

And welcome fella
Thank you, David.

Village, 18 years old estate and brand new houses are miles and miles apart - and that's what puzzles me. Looks like every street is covered.

You've just had bad luck so far

As norman stanley fletcher once said

"Don't let the bas tards grind you down"

Chin up and carry on mate

You'll find a good patch

I have found work in roads with at least 2 other windies

Thinking cos they are busy they ain't knocking on doors so the odd ones slip through

You've just had bad luck so farAs norman stanley fletcher once said

"Don't let the bas tards grind you down"

Thinking cos they are busy they ain't knocking on doors so the odd ones slip through
What I'm after is probably statistics - how many houses I need to visit before getting that coveted "yes"?

And yes, even today I've spoken to a woman whose current window cleaner does her £20 house for a fiver. True story.

:eek:

how are you looking when you doorknock? you need to look like you are doing the job , pray dont ever wear dapper bowls- club type shoes,u need scruffy trainers and a black beanie hat ,in my opinion . look ready n eager to clean immediately .

ask a few friends their honest opinion of your appearance and act on their recommendations ,dont ask family cos theyll tick you off and might try to give you uncles bowls club gear .

nothing about you should look expensive ,dont wear a watch either

No way to answer that mate

First time i started canvassing for myself after 23 years doing windows for others i got 5 out of the first 6 i knocked on

Admittedly they were all my father in laws neighbours who already knew me to say hello they obviously had no windie around there

Never had such a good day canvassing since

60 quid for 15 minutes knocking

But could knock all day for a tenner

how are you looking when you doorknock? you need to look like you are doing the job , pray dont ever wear dapper bowls- club type shoes,u need scruffy trainers and a black beanie hat ,in my opinion . look ready n eager to clean immediately .
ask a few friends their honest opinion of your appearance and act on their recommendations ,dont ask family cos theyll tick you off and might try to give you uncles bowls club gear .
I look pretty much ready to do the job. Even more - while canvassing I wear my belt with blades etc. holder attached to it - so you won't mistake me for anyone else.

And I'm very polite even if they say no. People must sense they deal with a decent human being.

years before i ever was a window cleaner ,a guy started up where i lived, wearing a nancy boy Russian fur type hat .what was worse he wore a brand new looking quilted jacket . even after all these years i recall him trying to start a convo with me about the weather, i glanced over at his expensive clothing and thought "id never want you,you posh tit "

i can remember in my erly days as a windie i used to doorknock,when they answered id tip my hat,well touch my forelock as i didnt have a hat, and say "want your windows cleaned ma"am/chief?" "iv just done next doors" gesture vaguely in next doors direction [ a lie but it works] [chief is a respectful word that men love to be called,im forever using it even now]

when they reply no,we dont, id grasp at straws,if a dog was behind them id say "awww,lovely dog,iv got one a bit like him,is it a him? whats her name? does urs drive u nuts? no? mine does,its badly bred

keep the chat goin and theyll likely enjoy the chat and might know a mate who needs the windows doing/ or need a shed knocking down, i did that cos id nothing else better to do , for free! - 2 hours not wasted cos gained a customer for life who spread the word

Last edited:
Did three hours one day got nowt, three hours next day same area got three at £30 quid each. It's luck amigo. Getting bored of saying the same spiel though...rolls off the tongue without thinking.

I'm happy to target isolated affluent properties, that other windies haven't bothered with. Guessing thers loads in rural Cambridgeshire.

I'm happy to target isolated affluent properties, that other windies haven't bothered with. Guessing thers loads in rural Cambridgeshire.
Yes, many window cleaners once get going drop such properties as they are too "inconvenient" to do. I don't see them as properties, I see them as people who need my service. Loyalty is key.

gained a customer for life who spread the word
...or not. A bit tricky with that - might end up doing odd jobs and not concentrating on canvassing. I don't mind when people say no to me as this is the nature of canvassing, but I still want to come home with some results, even if that would be only 2-3 new customers.

Back