Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ryskviking

Perplexed new starter

adamangler
I'm not trying to come across holier than anybody else here, but I think our window cleaning business is a direct reflection of our outlook and mentality.

Yes, if to look at it from the point of view of it being a money making machine - then you are probably right. Sleek it down to the best and most expensive customers - and then drop the rest.

I am not fanatical about clinging to customers who are outright nasty or not paying. But somehow all of my current customers are nice (some are even very nice/pretty), so it doesn't seem I will be needing to drop anyone any soon.

People here are saying to eventually drop those under £10. Call me altruistic - but I firmly believe that one of my roles in my life is to take care of others. We won't always win money wise, but the point still stands true - giving is happier than receiving.

Haven't you even been treated by someone in your life just as a mere subject, as if you were just a means to an end? How did it feel? People are intelligent - most of them will understand why you stopped coming to clean their windows or might ask you when they see you next time, and if they are low paying customers - they are probably living in more modest accommodation and most likely of lesser means. I think they had too many reminders in their lives of being underdogs, and I'm not going to be yet another reason for them to feel that way over again.

Not everything in life is money. Love for each other is what makes us human, and if that means combining business with charity - I am happy to oblige. This is where I feel I belong.

love the sentiment, but im in this game to make as much money as possible enjoy life to the max, whilst having the freedom that comes with not being chained to a 9-5 to live life on my terms.

honestly if i wanted to be charitable id give money to good causes.

unfortunately customers are just money, that doesnt mean i wont enjoy a chat or a cuppa but im not there for the sake of it, im there to make money

Ryskviking

I start seeing your point, gentlemen. I'm very loyal to my customers, but they start testing my loyalty.

When you are starting from scratch - you tend to compromise on some things. For instance - not charge your new customers double price for your first clean. I have some clients living in newly built houses in some area where construction work is ongoing, so their windows are jolly dirty with some serious crust of dirt, spider web/nests and what's not.

Obviously takes time to clean. Then you come next time and they pull a surprised face to see you cleaning again - "oh, we don't need them cleaned now, we'll call you back [3 years later] when we need them cleaned".

Really? I thought we agreed to clean them every 4 weeks. Felt quite angry.

Thinking now whether I should do their windows next time or just tell them to forget it. I doubt other window cleaners will be keen on dealing with them either.

Having said that - it took me no more than 30 minutes (with doing/undoing ladders etc), so that's £10 in 30 min. Probably should not be too uppity and leave them door open.

Otherwise I'm inching toward my financial goals. Lots of canvassing, my knuckles hurt from knocking - but it's all good.

Still haven't decided whether to keep on doing windows traditionally or switch to WFP. I'm a bit of a snob - doing with WFP makes you look more professional and more safe as you don't have to climb the ladder.

Besides, WFP guys says you basically double your income if you switch from traditional to WFP.

I wonder how true this statement is? Anyone here who made a transition from traditional to WFP with this sort of increase of income?

Mark Foster

Hi

I would like some advice on canvassing a new round. Am probably just being really thick but I cant figure how to start a new thread?

Dave B

Just quoted 2 jobs

Another £59 a month trad lol

Mark you need to get some business card (you can start without them but i get new custys to hand them to friends/family)

Then you pick a few roads right on your doorstep and knock every door

Then next day you knock the next nearest roads and work outwards until you have enough work

If you find nothing that close then when you do get a good response somewhere target that area

Simple as that really

Canvass 1 day if you get a few do them next day latest..don't let them cool off

Once you get a bit of work clean for the day and then canvass for an hour when you finish and just keep going

It sounds daunting but once you have knocked a few doors you will think nothing of it

Google whizzbizz as he has some very good advice on how to approach potential customers at the door

Hope this helps

SPCleaning
Yes, many window cleaners once get going drop such properties as they are too "inconvenient" to do. I don't see them as properties, I see them as people who need my service. Loyalty is key.

Don't get confused and mistake these people as your friends, or go overboard with being loyal. They won't in the most part be loyal back. You can't grow your business if you are holding on to customers for ever and if it is all too friendly you will feel awkward putting up prices or charging for those 'just jobs'.

I see them all as clients, they come and go.

TolishAPurd
Don't get confused and mistake these people as your friends, or go overboard with being loyal. They won't in the most part be loyal back. You can't grow your business if you are holding on to customers for ever and if it is all too friendly you will feel awkward putting up prices or charging for those 'just jobs'.

Best way to be mate. I think I've pi55ed offa few of my handyman customers recently since I've started taking on bigger jobs + windows- I'm not as available as I used to be. Its almost a natural progression, when you first start out you pick up the scraps, but when things get going you have to be in it for you. Thats not to say you ditch your morals, but charity begins at home.

Ryskviking

I understand the notion. With a number of my new customers absolutely ruthlessly and cynically cancelling after just one or two cleans - I can't help but think that loyalty for these people is a discount card the take to their shop.

Having said that - I know a window cleaner who now and then treats his best and loyal customers to a bottle of good wine.

Now that's an epitome of awesome!

Ryskviking
Best way to be mate. I think I've pi55ed offa few of my handyman customers recently since I've started taking on bigger jobs + windows- I'm not as available as I used to be. Its almost a natural progression, when you first start out you pick up the scraps, but when things get going you have to be in it for you. Thats not to say you ditch your morals, but charity begins at home.

Well yes, agree about scraps. I still cancel only those who don't pay, or start messing around with "not this time" or "we'll call you", or mega awkward to find at home. Am not as rigid to cling to them as when I've started. Still, I'm trying to use my heart making my decisions whether to continue with these customers or not.

Guest boarcity

dont act soft . or theyll milk u .

TolishAPurd

A bottle of wine is an unnecassary purchase IMO mate. Custommer pays you- you do the job to the standard they paid for, simple. There is no need to buy there loyalty so long as you are working to the right standard.

Ryskviking
dont act soft . or theyll milk u .

I'm not sure how they can milk me. I do their windows - they pay me. I don't think I would do anything beyond that unpaid.

Ryskviking
A bottle of wine is an unnecassary purchase IMO mate. Custommer pays you- you do the job to the standard they paid for, simple. There is no need to buy there loyalty so long as you are working to the right standard.

He is not buying their loyalty - he expresses his gratitude for being his customers. We all done something good to complete strangers for no reason - let alone to our customers who put bread and butter on our table and much more.

peter rogers

Jus hang in there some days uel get them some days u wont jjust be happy and confident

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.