Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

So what are your top five ways to get customer in?

Scottie

Hello guys,

So what are your best five ways in getting in new customers. From door knocking to Facebook, whats good for you?

I think we can make a good thread here for people to pick up tips and learn. Seems to be various threads about getting custys in, so this thread might be a one stop shop for promotion ideas?

Mine are:

Flyering - little comeback so far

Door knocking - Yet to do it but people swear by it, whats the ball park ratio?

Facebook - Working best for em at present

local ads in paper /online - Yet to see the rewards

flyers/cards left in chip shops, newsagents - Yet to see the rewards

Cheers.

Customer recommendations – word of mouth is the most powerful way to gain new business.

Company Website - search engine optimised, professional, informative website is a must as works 24/7 promoting your business.

I picked up my first 60 customers through Facebook without knocking a single door or posting a single leaflet.

Now I get a lot through leafletting.posted 100 last week and got 5 regular customers.

A lot by word of mouth and people coming out when I'm cleaning the Windows.

In the process of posting 5000 leaflets in 3 different areas. One area is proving alot better response than the others so I'm going to be focusing there.

Door knocking just isn't for me.done it twice. Got a few people but not again.

Today I just picked up 4 gutter clearing jobs that as customer sold for me as I already gave a price to her for doing the block of four including hers when I was last doing a bit at her house /emoticons/biggrin.png

Don't worry I did have a look at all 4 first so I did not sell myself short either. /emoticons/smile.png

Customers will go out of their way to get you extra work if you know how to ask for it.

Yes smurf you are so right, For my tiny little round at present it has grown due to two customers getting there friends on board. I am yet to door knock properly but will be on Friday all day10-3 but I want to get rid of 750 flyers before then and see what that gets me. I hope to find recommendations and people just seeing me work, I am not out there yet enough so I hope that works out.

I really find facebook good, it has got 70% of my work so far, I need to step it up a bit and am going at it this week non stop on all front.

However I did today run into a windy and its really made me feel ****, but I no from here you all say ingnor it and carry on so I am going to keep my chin up. He said "seen your flyers, very smart but you wont get any work round here mate its locked down" I said what is it a jail? he said basically we have it all covered no point in wasting your time round these areas. I thought, **** you, but bit my lip and said oh well, plenty of other areas I'll see how it goes here all the same. Then I got wathed down the road by the other two windys in the team. Its the this is my area thing, think I might have the old try to rough you up thing soon lol, well they can try but they dont no whom they pick n and what training you have had, so let em. But seriously, do people actually think they own streets? WOW! Still went off feeling down as usual as seeing other windys and thinking who the hell am I, how am I gonna get anyone? But perked up a bit now, feel positive again, I am building slowly and sure, just gotta work harder now.

For a newbie, you can not get much in recommendations and people seeing you out as your not out much so what is the best ways to gain more, just plug away flyering and door knocking. Do ads in local papers work for anyone here?

Oh the stress, still in it for the long haul and have plans I want to stick to and great advice on here to keep practicing, so forward ever backwards never...... /emoticons/smile.png

However I did today run into a windy and its really made me feel ****, but I no from here you all say ingnor it and carry on so I am going to keep my chin up. He said "seen your flyers, very smart but you wont get any work round here mate its locked down" I said what is it a jail? he said basically we have it all covered no point in wasting your time round these areas.
What a peen-****. I have a bunch like this on my round. You'll often find that they have a few discontented customers. Not to mention the ones that never took them on in the first place as they didnt like the look or attitude of them. Just carry on as normal. get your own s*** locked down, keep your prices reasonable so they can't undercut you, and take your time to get the windows right. Pricks like this often rush their work, and because they have a paid workforce that comes and goes, their quality can be inconsistant in the customers eyes. This can work to your advantage if you can just get your foot in the door. When they are not about, drop your flyers and door knock their houses and put the option in the customers hands. All of this is just my opinion, not trying to be gospel.

See if I ever get someone saying stuff like that I always say something along the lines of "yeah, but I do a good job", works for me, but I'm a big lad so no one bothers getting angry with me /emoticons/smile.png

To be honest though, no one gives me much lip anyway.

Just ignore them and do your thing mate, I got quite a few new customers last week who already had a window cleaner but their windows and frames were bloody awful, they also all came to me through facebook, and I matched their current prices, actually I raised the one and got them all.

Cleaned them the end of last week and all were happy campers /emoticons/smile.png

To be honest if someone did that to me I would be even more determined to get work in "their" street.

If anyone tries it again just say to them...."oh I am sorry, ...I only got into this because my psychiatrist thought it would be good for me,....you see work is a good way to help with the rehabilitation, ...and as nobody wants to employ you when you've been in for murder....I thought been self employed window cleaner was the way to go....NOW FU@K OFF.....before I start to get angry and slip back to the old me....

works every time....lol :devil:

I love telling this story; my biker mate is nearly 30 years younger than me, about 6' and skinny. He went to a club with his girlfriend a few years back and it seemed he was the wrong colour. One of the 'locals' pinched his girls bum in front of him. My mate waited for this geezer to go to the toilet. My mate followed him in and sorted him good and proper. My mate represents England at Tae Kwon Do /emoticons/smile.png.

Take no sh1t Scottie, these type of blokes are bullies and are only handy in a group. They are feeling vulnerable and are scared that you might take work off them, because the only way they are keeping their customers is through the intimidation that the customers may get if they sack them.

Keep plodding on.

I had a similar experience to that, but long story and not one I want on the net /emoticons/tongue.png

It can be daunting people having a pop

My problem is i have never given a toss what people think or say so it tends to get me into a bit of aggro when my reply would be fuc k off you *****

I would happily door knock their custys doors while they are cleaning..lol

My top 5 is

1 door knocking

2 door knocking

3 door knocking

4 door knocking

5 facebook and the recommendations come to me so i don't have worry about that

I very nearly did time, not a good story really....
Didn't because it was pretty justified.
My mate had that problem

We were in bagleys and he went to toilet to see his cousin getting a kicking

Battered the guy and old bill arrested him

Did a stretch for that

No justice

It was my then girlfriend getting hurt, luckily the bouncers saw me and what was happening and stood up for me in court.

Believe me mate if it was my wife or son i would be doing life

Totally justified imo

Back