Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trials and tribulations of door knocking

S

SolarPanelCleaning

Started at ten today, got nowt til 2pm and then four on the trot.

For those out there, I feel your pain. But keep chipping away..........,

Sorry been on the gin again.

My van is feeling it though, stop start stop start poor belt .

Some weird lady answered the door in a cloak. I immediately thought 'no'. Not sure what witchy stuff was happening but she came good. A regular £15 clean. Witches eh?

Door knocking can be sole distroying for sure so well done to you for keeping at it :thumbsup:

Knock every door thinking positive and that you have got a great service you can offer them. If you sound disheartened they will pick up on this and you will not get your foot in the door so to speak.

Well done mate, thats given me some inspiration that has. Thank you

Well today, I flyered 80 flyers and then door knocked, done about 40 houses then I went to do a clean I had booked, completed that and then door knocked 30 more. I have not felt so low in ages. I really have spent time getting my ideas down and presenting them in a really professional manner, nice flyers, done by vista, web site and FB, its going slow, so today out of 70 doors knocked not one! I got in the car and I will admit I had tears, felt worthless and low, just not felt this before, its really tuff, the thing is I am sat on FB non stop all day night plugging away, groups checking etc, its given me 9 custys. So worth it but lot of work, I then go out, smart and I have a clean image and good speach, I worked in ofice and customer service for 12 years, so I am comfortable and come across easy going and genuine, just do not get it, where is it going wrong? Or is it? am I expecting too much too soon.

Felt so dam low, I actually thought about all the comments on here and that turned me around. Going back out tomorrow shift some flyers then door knocking, then FB and online to search for ideas.

I see so many windies, I think this area is all taken, but there are 1000,s and 1000's of houses and I am getting some 12 in total now, but I do wonder how many are left, I just need to keep motivated, losing it a bit. I feel there are a lot of wanna be windys that have no real life plan and I am losing to them, all i hears is £6 our windy, WFT on a large 3 bedroom, I can not compete with it, I think thats too little to even take. 12 windows £6. I prob would have to if offered.

Anyway, any tips on how to stay motivated, I am now again but worry a bit now, I really want this, I really want to grow and learn and become a good windy and push the business further....

Thanks guys, cheers SPC post is motivating me:)

could be you lads who are finding it slow going are living in a depressed area- if so, travel to towns where things are booming. id think that LONDON would be easily within your reach Scottie .sleep in your car if necessary - take a huge quilt as its winter now.

you never hear of london boys bleating that they cant find work is the point im getting at .

i live in a depressed coastal town and i travel inland and south to big towns rather than make great efforts in my own town. [ as it happens iv slowly built up a 1- days -work - a -week in my own town,but its took 6 yrs to get it !]

now and again i see a local lad new startup attempt to get a round going in this fading town,theyre doomed unless they travel to get work in other more lucrative towns .

Last edited:
I live in an affluent area, lots of solar panels! it's just one of the most sparsely populated areas in the country. Nearest town is 7 miles away and that has a population of only two thousand! About 3/4 of people aren't in when I go looking for work, even on Saturdays. Everyone is very polite though. Had no rudeness yet. It's all good.

I live in a nice area, it has a split of lower class houses and high class, 60k houses and 2 million houses. I have not really fliered the council ones much or town areas, I am today now and there small 1 and 2 bed houses, terraced, I may have been silly and should have done them and been caught in that if you have a decent house youw ill pay mind, but anyone whom has a house small or big wants clean windows, so trying a new area today, the houses are close so should shift a good 100 today before I have to be elsewhere.

The door knocking will kick tomorrow, its raining hard, not ideal to turn up on a door step. So tomorrow I want to see again how door knockign goes and if it is cracked up to what people say. I will do minimum 50 houses, I hope I cna get one form 50 ratio, say 2 out of a 100 would that be asking too much? I wonder what a ball park ratio is, must be soem data out there.

Where's that bloke from Grimsby gone who was getting a minimum of 8 new jobs a day? I'm sure he could give you a few tips /emoticons/wink.png

Another thing to try is this. If you have more than one job in a street, don't do them both the same day. Do them on different days to up the odds of you being seen working. Of course, when you're up and running you will be condensing the round as much as possible.

Where's that bloke from Grimsby gone who was getting a minimum of 8 new jobs a day? I'm sure he could give you a few tips /emoticons/wink.png
Another thing to try is this. If you have more than one job in a street, don't do them both the same day. Do them on different days to up the odds of you being seen working. Of course, when you're up and running you will be condensing the round as much as possible.
Thanks tuffers. Wow 8 jobs a day, I hear people on forums and they say this and that but when you go out its nothing like it. I have got 2 jobs form 2000 flyers, the flyers are smart and well printed and have all the info on them. If someone wants a windy they want one, I just feel so many out there its locked down, but then I have got 12 so must be some bits about. The thing that gets me is I see some guys about doing 3 beds for £5 and £6 I can not compete with that, or I may have to?

Must be the time of year also, but then again peeps on here are getting customers in flyering door knocking.

The door knocking, I am fine with, dont like it much but I can communicate well and come across easy going and genuine but have confidence due to my previous work of talking to hostile people and problems. So its easy, I stand side wasy to door all the usual good tactics, smart/casual, well spoken, (polite) and happy. Just not working, maybe its the aftershave, Ill change that. Thing is these peoples windows are ******* awful, all of them and the house are nice house's, I could not live with frames and windows that bad looks ****.

Just gotta plug on, flyering and door knocking tomorrow, well flyer the ones that are not in and note em down and go back another time. Just got to try do 100 tomorrow, must get one form 100. come on!!!!

Either I dont I will have to pay Whizz Bizz a visit, I am not giving in on this. Then hit the local papers and any media promotion.

FB is working, slow, I put non stop hours in on it, but got 9 I think it is form it.

Thanks

Of ten doors I knock, I'm getting one result. But they are spreeeeeeead out. No streets round here, very few terraces even. Hey ho. It's still moving forwards.

I would love to hear some data from people whom have door knocked and whats true ratio they were getting. 1 from 10 houses to me is really good, I would snap that right away. Cheers.

I think it depends on area I done 70 and nout, not all were in ok, but maybe need to try different properties.

Of ten doors I knock, I'm getting one result. But they are spreeeeeeead out. No streets round here, very few terraces even. Hey ho. It's still moving forwards.
Hey mate, it will snow ball for u on some roads and others will be stagnant, important thing is u keep going to all these new customers on time, i recently this year started doing some new roads because i had moved house and decided to get some very local customers, one road i got a £5 front on only, but small road of 30 houses and small modern 3 bed houses, which i charge £10 front n back, anyway my point is 6 months later this road is £45 which i agree is nothing to shout about but what will it be in another 6 months or 2 years? U have to play the patience game, every customer u get can lead to a full days work eventually, some roads will take off big time but u dont know when, but strike when the iron is hot. Other roads will never take off and dump those as u develop the strong roads

One from ten sounds good, but it takes over an hour to do ten houses, out here in the wilderness. Perhaps one result every hour and a half is a fairer comparison.

Where are you living Scottie?

doorknocking & leafletting on council estates is the surefire winner-as long as you look the part - this is critical- no flashy boy clothes or you will fail . colour in a few of your teeth with a black or yellow marker pen,

council estates have loyalty you simply dont get anywhere else-plus blocks of flats, what more can you possibly want???

I would love to hear some data from people whom have door knocked and whats true ratio they were getting. 1 from 10 houses to me is really good, I would snap that right away. Cheers.
I think it depends on area I done 70 and nout, not all were in ok, but maybe need to try different properties.
Its hit and miss isnt it mate, ive got £100 a day canvassing before now, and other days £0 from doing more walking, you know that much walking u are totally knackered

When I get one it's a £20 clean or thereabouts, so they add up quick. Gonna try somewhere real remote tomorrow, capel y fin, bang in the middle of the mountains. Can't be a windy there yet.

Boar city, thatcher sold all the council houses round here! My teeth match the part though. Leopard skin teeth.

I have had hard days door knocking and then find a road with only 75 houses and got 8 of them..no way to judge it just keep going

The money peeps are usually too tight to have a windy

Boar hit it on the head with council estates and normal run of the mill streets with us scummy working class people

As to working out what you should say i know whiz bizz is good at what he does and has the patter to go with it but i just ask "do you need a window cleaner"

I am always happy and have no problem having a good chinwag with people but also am straight to the point with them

I have never gone out canvassing and not got at least 1 job so must be doing something right

Bet you've been up it though..i have..nuff respect for those sas boys who yomp up it

Back