Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rude customers

Fairy

8 in the morning, starting my first house. All cold, ready for another day. Customer opens the door and says NO. And slams the door. What a good start of the day..

By the way, Hi all! First thread!

Hi & welcome @Fairy
Was it a woman by any chance /emoticons/biggrin.png
Haha no, but it was a bloke on his period I recon.. It's a shame I work for a window cleaning company.. Or else I would've binned his ass straight away!

& cheers mate

Welcome mate./emoticons/smile.png

I reckon I would have poured the dirty water from my BOAB through her letterbox- why else are they shaped like that and at waist hieght.

I'm still in bed sound a sleep at 8am...:eek:

Why I said that as my missus is defo not a morning person either. /emoticons/biggrin.png

8am /emoticons/tongue.png i was still in bed

I never start until 9 at the earliest, if i was going to start at 8 i think it would be wise to ask the customers in advance if that time is acceptable, or maybe u did? Some customers do **** uoff though eh Fairy?

I believe in a cull, u get a much happier healthier no nonsense round if u weed these troublesome sorts out /emoticons/wink.png

Welcome mate./emoticons/smile.png
I reckon I would have poured the dirty water from my BOAB through her letterbox- why else are they shaped like that and at waist hieght.

Haha genius, I was thinking about parking the company vehicle in his living room.. Cheers mate!

8am /emoticons/tongue.png i was still in bed
I never start until 9 at the earliest, if i was going to start at 8 i think it would be wise to ask the customers in advance if that time is acceptable, or maybe u did? Sme customers do **** uoff though eh Fairy?

I believe in a cull, u get a much happier healthier no no sense round if u weed these troublesome sorts out /emoticons/wink.png
Thing is mate, I work for an ignorant boss. I start at 7, even though I told him the customers are not really keen on me knocking on their door at half 7. ( don't blame them ) .. But oh well, as long as I'm getting paid I'll do everything he says

Thing is mate, I work for an ignorant boss. I start at 7, even though I told him the customers are not really keen on me knocking on their door at half 7. ( don't blame them ) .. But oh well, as long as I'm getting paid I'll do everything he says
F##k, it never ceases to amaze me how things don't work well when other people are telling u what to do, start your own round is my advice then. :cool:

7!??? I think doing commercial stuff like shops before they open makes sense at that time but nobody wants theirs house cleaned at 7am o_O

F##k, it never ceases to amaze me how things don't work well when other people are telling u what to do, start your own round is my advice then. :cool:
7!??? I think doing commercial stuff like shops before they open makes sense at that time but nobody wants theirs house cleaned at 7am o_O
Haha exactly, but some people just don't want to listen.. I wish I could start my own round.. I've got about five years of experience. It's just that I recently moved to the uk and wanna settle in first before making big boy steps haha

Where r u from fairy?

I suggest u get some of your own tools for starters, nothing too expensive.

then on your day/s off go and try your luck, knock a few doors, just dont undercut prices, u will know prices well by now i assume after five years. Pick roads where u live so u dont have to drive far. Build up a small round to do, once u have more than u can manage on your day off u can quit and then go mental and build up a bigger round.

I can give u canvassing tips if u want
Ah that would be great mate, would you still recommend me starting my own round even though my boss has customers all over the place where I live? Guess I just have to be a bit more aware /emoticons/smile.png

Where r u from fairy?
I suggest u get some of your own tools for starters, nothing too expensive.

then on your day/s off go and try your luck, knock a few doors, just dont undercut prices, u will know prices well by now i assume after five years. Pick roads where u live so u dont have to drive far. Build up a small round to do, once u have more than u can manage on your day off u can quit and then go mental and build up a bigger round.
I'm from the Netherlands, moved over a year ago!

Ah that would be great mate, would you still recommend me starting my own round even though my boss has customers all over the place where I live? Guess I just have to be a bit more aware /emoticons/smile.png
Well obviously u dont want any trouble, but u can canvass where u like, at least u know what are his customers and what are not? He doesnt own the road.

What i do is this. I pick some roads as i like the house style, easy with ladders etc, know the price u are charging for average, say £10 for example. What u want to do is walk up to each house looking at the windows, u should be looking for dirty windows which is evidence they dont have a window cleaner. Then knock the door and smile as they answer ( dont do this at 7am) /emoticons/tongue.png you want to ask them ne simple question, dont prepare some crazy script to reel off to them, just ask this "would you like a window cleaner" the answer will be either yes no of maybe and then all you need to sort out is the price, wheather there are windows you cant reach, how often you plan to come, and clean them right there and then, tell them your name, and tell them your number, tell them any arrangments if they are not in, say you will leave a note and call back for money,or u can text or ring the day before as a reminder and they can leave the money out for you.

I highly recommend u go dressed as a window cleaner and they will know what you are all about if they see u through the window.

If the windows on a house look very clean or as if they are done regular, walk n, dont bother them, u do t need to hear "ive already got a window cleaner" on repeat all day. Just knockon the doors of dirty houses is my advice. Any houses that are dirty and nobody answers write down the house number, and you will get a "dirty list" together, use this for prime time canvassing, between 4-6pm and during that time u should gather customers to clean the next day starting at 9! /emoticons/smile.png)

So get these dirty house lists and the odd customerin the daytime from say 11-4. You will get days where u get none, but then days where u get 6-7

8 in the morning, starting my first house. All cold, ready for another day. Customer opens the door and says NO. And slams the door. What a good start of the day..
By the way, Hi all! First thread!
Welcome to the forum Fairy

Lol when the custy said no...you should have said ..."I ant asked the question yet"

Welcome.....

Customers can be so rude sometimes.

I think if someone has been kind enough to give you a job, then you are very lucky. I employ someone and I would be p!ssed off if he started up on his own in my area. Actually I think I may put a contract in place stating he cant within a 4 mile radius of my area...

Welcome.....Customers can be so rude sometimes.

I think if someone has been kind enough to give you a job, then you are very lucky. I employ someone and I would be p!ssed off if he started up on his own in my area. Actually I think I may put a contract in place stating he cant within a 4 mile radius of my area...
If he would pay me a decent wage I wouldn't even be thinking about starting for myself. But every window cleaner works towards having their own company. And if you want to start your own company, you need a job to save up for the equipment etc. I do get it might not be nice for my current boss. But when you've got the chance to earn money, no one on this world would think twice. /emoticons/smile.png

Well obviously u dont want any trouble, but u can canvass where u like, at least u know what are his customers and what are not? He doesnt own the road.
What i do is this. I pick some roads as i like the house style, easy with ladders etc, know the price u are charging for average, say £10 for example. What u want to do is walk up to each house looking at the windows, u should be looking for dirty windows which is evidence they dont have a window cleaner. Then knock the door and smile as they answer ( dont do this at 7am) /emoticons/tongue.png you want to ask them ne simple question, dont prepare some crazy script to reel off to them, just ask this "would you like a window cleaner" the answer will be either yes no of maybe and then all you need to sort out is the price, wheather there are windows you cant reach, how often you plan to come, and clean them right there and then, tell them your name, and tell them your number, tell them any arrangments if they are not in, say you will leave a note and call back for money,or u can text or ring the day before as a reminder and they can leave the money out for you.

I highly recommend u go dressed as a window cleaner and they will know what you are all about if they see u through the window.

If the windows on a house look very clean or as if they are done regular, walk n, dont bother them, u do t need to hear "ive already got a window cleaner" on repeat all day. Just knockon the doors of dirty houses is my advice. Any houses that are dirty and nobody answers write down the house number, and you will get a "dirty list" together, use this for prime time canvassing, between 4-6pm and during that time u should gather customers to clean the next day starting at 9! /emoticons/smile.png)

So get these dirty house lists and the odd customerin the daytime from say 11-4. You will get days where u get none, but then days where u get 6-7
I'm saving this up, thanks a lot. All makes perfectly sense aswell. Cheers mate! Where abouts are you based?

Latest Posts

Back