Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Conny roof question

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shiny

Do polycarbonate roofs have a protective film on them to slow algae growth down...?

Reason for this question is about 3 months ago one of my regulars asked me about cleaning her conny roof, now to be fair it wasn't that bad just odd patches of green here and there, anyway priced agreed and booked in for following visit. Sent text following month to say I was going her reply ok but leave conny roof hubbies power washed it....ok by me it's their roof to do what they want with. Now I take a look at it while I am doing the windows and it looked ok not done a bad job....whether he done any unseen damage I don't know? We all no that if you don't know what your doing when power washing conny roofs you can cause problems with the seals ect.

Anyway I turns up yesterday and the lady asked me if I could do the conny roof....the reason been its gone green...! I take a look and sure enough green algae everywhere, I did't have time to do it there and then so told her it would have to be after Xmas. So why as it gone green so quick..? It actually looks worse now then it did before she first asked me to do it. I am a bit reluctant to do it at all now because if this as been caused by hubbies power washing and then I clean it the proper way and the samething happens, I don't want the blame turning to me....

Any thoughts on this anyone..!!

Algae spoors are found naturally in the air and will settle and grow rapidly under the right conditions. So to wash a conservatory roof in winter months I think is quite pointless really as that chap has already found out.

And no I'm not aware they are treated to slow down algae growth

Algae spoors are found naturally in the air and will settle and grow rapidly under the right conditions. So to wash a conservatory roof in winter months I think is quite pointless really as that chap has already found out.
And no I'm not aware they are treated to slow down algae growth
Cheers smurf it just made me think about a protective film because of the fast rate it as gone green, I know the ones I ve done in the past are good for much longer than a couple of months

I've done a few conny roofs and have noticed that they don't stay clean for as long as you'd expect. More work for me /emoticons/wink.png

I've done a few conny roofs and have noticed that they don't stay clean for as long as you'd expect. More work for me /emoticons/wink.png
That's very true Tuffers the more they need cleaning is better for us definitely... I just don't want any come back on me if the damage as already been done through hubies power washing ...!!!

That's very true Tuffers the more they need cleaning is better for us definitely... I just don't want any come back on me if the damage as already been done through hubies power washing ...!!!
I'd leave it till at least a load of rain has had chance to find its way in before you decide to tackle it. Like you say, they could blame you for any possible damage the old man has done.

Get the ubik or virosol out and get rid of that green [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the ubik or virosol out and get rid of that green [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a theory about using chemicals on conny roofs. I reckon the chemical attracts the green to come back pretty quick.

I always recommend to the customer, regular cleaning which reduces the need for maintenance as dirt and grime builds up (especially during the Autumn/Winter months) that can cause discolour and corrode, making the conservatory a shadow of it’s former self. Also If you leave dirt / grime build up, then you’re creating the perfect breeding ground for algae. And who wants a conservatory roof with a nice green coat, But jokes aside, if you allow algae to form, it will reduce the natural light coming in, and over time it could damage the actual structure itself.

I can tell you an easy way...blast the **** out of em with a pressure washer /emoticons/biggrin.png

How did you clean the spikey bits on the top mate? they look fiddley
As Tuffers says, spray with ubik or virosol. I did scrub whole job with sill brush, but I only had pencil jets. I think Tuffers is right about using fan jets as they were a bit fiddly, plus u can't put too much pressure on them as they felt like they might snap off./emoticons/smile.png

Well done, doesnt look like a big conservatory, what price did you charge? no probs if want to keep info to yourself, as Ive been asked to do a couple and the custys have been used to a cheap window cleaner, for that size I would say between £30-£40? 2 hours tops work?

Just did a connie roof today. Really green. Photo dosn't show how bad it really is. Used a ubik spray to lossen dirt. Customer did not want inside gutter cleaned. LOL hope it last more than 2 months.
before

View attachment 5372

after View attachment 5373
Just did a connie roof today. Really green. Photo dosn't show how bad it really is. Used a ubik spray to lossen dirt. Customer did not want inside gutter cleaned. LOL hope it last more than 2 months.
before

View attachment 5372

after View attachment 5373
Nice job pal, I have virosol and ubik. Not used either yet. What mix ratio? When you say spray on did you use a hand held sprayer or did you you a backpack and how long did you let the ubik dwell for? Sorry for all the questions

Nice job pal, I have virosol and ubik. Not used either yet. What mix ratio? When you say spray on did you use a hand held sprayer or did you you a backpack and how long did you let the ubik dwell for? Sorry for all the questions
I made a lance by using an old pole and fixed it to a pump up sprayer including an inline tap. That way I can get the spray nozzle right up close to the finials etc. Dilute it at 10:1 and see how you get on. Don't leave it on for more than 10 minutes; it can send white uPVC pink :confused:

Latest Posts

Back