Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any other income?

Hayden

Good evening, I've posted a few other topics in the past asking for opinions and advice, just was talking to my step dad about window cleaning and was having a little de-bate if it could provide a full income?

So my question is do you have any other income other than window cleaning?

I know there can be 100's of factors but who better to ask than you guys

With window cleaning there's always add ons that you can do.

Gutter cleaning

Facia cleaning

Conservatory cleaning including roofs.

I've put up dummy alarms

Replaced broken roof tiles.

Got rid of wasp/bees nest.

Replaced felt on a shed.

Customers assume coz you got a ladder you can do all these things.

well ive got plenty of credit cards...:rolleyes:

one thing that is good about window cleaning as daddy said....you always have money coming in and if you need more...you just work harder...

I do building work and memorial masonry. Going full time on the panels and windows in January. It's much easier on the body and less stressful generally.

well I suppose doing jobs like a new replacement radiator in the daughters bedroom would cost me £150 for a plumber to do but I did it and think that's money I have earnt....of course the wife doesn't see it like that...and the two pia minor tiny leaks I still have mean I should sack the bloody plumber...:rolleyes:

Good evening, I've posted a few other topics in the past asking for opinions and advice, just was talking to my step dad about window cleaning and was having a little de-bate if it could provide a full income?
So my question is do you have any other income other than window cleaning?

I know there can be 100's of factors but who better to ask than you guys

A good point to raise in the debate is to ask your dad to go on the government site for national statistics; the last time I looked, I think there were approximately 39,000 self employed window cleaners, plus another 9,000 employed, giving a total of around 49,000.

I’m assuming some must be full time, doing only window cleaning, thus providing all of there income.

Other points are, trade shows, federation of window cleaners and the Guild, manufactures of equipment, and suppliers, this window cleaning forum, etcetera.

If none of that gets you anywhere, ask him, what does he mean by a full income. The national average income is around £27,000 – do you base a full income on this? Or is it the minimum wage rate of about £12,000? Or in the top 10% of employed earners wages, which I think start around the £60,000 – Maybe it’s just based on your current standard of living, and he is concerned for you.

Either way it sounds like he is just looking out for your best interest, maybe you could do your homework and then prove to him you can make a go of working for yourself.

When I left the police my work colleagues thought I was crazy. I pointed out that so long as I earn £50 a day, five days a week, my bills are all paid. If I earn £100 a day five days a week etc etc, you can see how this is going.

So £50 a day is only 5 £10 jobs, or 4 £12.50 jobs. It soon adds up.

You must be mad then as they are on a good screw :laugh:

How many customers do you need to match a month what your were earning gross :rolleyes:

When I left the police my work colleagues thought I was crazy. I pointed out that so long as I earn £50 a day, five days a week, my bills are all paid. If I earn £100 a day five days a week etc etc, you can see how this is going.
So £50 a day is only 5 £10 jobs, or 4 £12.50 jobs. It soon adds up.

Lol, Why do you think I'm so expensive Smurf?

I have cornered a niche market and now match my old salary. It has taken a while.

You must be mad then as they are on a good screw :laugh:
How many customers do you need to match a month what your were earning gross :rolleyes:

I only work 3 days a week but easily do £150 a day and that's in winter

Been known to prowl the streets for gold teeth now and then !! Where's my knuckle duster gone./emoticons/wink.png

I first started off as a handyman doing most things- painting, plastering, minor plumbing, odd jobs etc.The window cleaning startedwhen I bought a ladder for a painting job. As I mentioned in another thread, I hate having a tool if its not paying for itself. So I started WCing and gutters as an add on service- never realised I would enjoy it so much. The handyman business is and probably always will be the bigger portion of my work, but I'm glad I started this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back