Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Harder than i thought it would be

Danfire

Had a neighbour ask me if I would clean all the moss off his roof (large 4 bed detached plus an extension).

Did a lot of research, bought a harness, fungicide and borrowed a rope. Been up there scraping for three days now and almost half way finished, I thought the job would only take two days.

Wasn't much fun when the hailstones came down Wednesday. Passer by asked if I would do his, I told him I'm not doing any more until winters over. Starting to get behind on my round now, I need to learn to say no.

I'm using a trowel and a hand brush, I estimated I would take about ten seconds on each tile, reality is I'm taking closer to thirty so my two day estimate is going to turn into six days. The research I did steered me away from jet washing. Think the job will be more enjoyable when it warms up a bit.

I'm using a trowel and a hand brush, I estimated I would take about ten seconds on each tile, reality is I'm taking closer to thirty so my two day estimate is going to turn into six days. The research I did steered me away from jet washing. Think the job will be more enjoyable when it warms up a bit.

Sounds to me like you are trying to get it too perfect. Remember that they will be looking from a distance whereas you are right up to it.

I have learned, when I researched what the going rate was I thought the prices were a piss take, I was wrong, the going rate is spot on and that's what I will be quoting the passer by.

Fortunately, my neighbour allowed me to more than double his original price so I will do ok but the price should have been treble what I quoted. You live and learn.

I had a customer ask me to clear their garage roof and over hang over the porch. I posted a few pics of it on here a couple of months back. They asked me if I'd had a chance to price it last time I did the windows. I said I didn't think I could do it, but said I would think that it would take a couple of days and they would be looking at about £500. I haven't got a clue how you would price a roof clean, but she was very shocked at what I thought they might have to pay.

I did one about two years ago. I quoted £150 and they agreed. I had it done in a day (albeit a very long day). The tiles were cement flat style. I used a flat piece of ply screwed to a batten, like a large flat shovel and sat on the ridge. I just kept working myself along the roof clearing as I went. I vowed never to do one again, but did quote a smaller job at £300 last week. I will wait and see if that comes back.

For me there are easier, safer & more profitable jobs to do than messing about on roofs trying to clean them.

Agreed. Unless I had my own cherry picker, used my pressure washer, and had a written agreement that anything that gets washed to the floor is there responsibility, along with any water that leaks through there roof... then I wouldnt do it again. Thats not to say I wouldnt quote the job, just next time I do it, it will be at a very high premium rate with a view to getting lucky.

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.