Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gas water heater in the van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I don't think there are any.

I have enquired twice when renewing van insurance and Aegis Insurance don't have an issue with a gas heater. It doesn't make any difference to the insurance premium either. i don't have to inform them if I fit one.

If there were regulations they would know about them.

There are regulations that apply to catering trailers. Although I haven't seen anything exhaust related, I doubt a gas installer will put his signature to an installation that hasn't got proper venting. Catering trailers are all fitted with roof vents.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Catering-Trailers-How-to-Connect-Gas-Electricity-and-Water-/10000000178358656/g.html

Personally, I don't agree with heaters that are fitted internally and the rear doors left open to vent the van. I would fit a roof vent. That just makes sense to me.

I would also fit an under floor LPG tank as I have room for it. However, the same tank can be fitted inside the van without issue as it has an enclosed coupling box fitted to the tank which effectively seals off the gas supply from the van's cargo area and venting to outside through a hole/s drilled in the floor. It works the same way as an Internal gas tank in the car boot on an LPG gas conversion. So really the only place the gas could leak into the van is at the heater coupling.

I quite like Smurf's idea. The way I understand it is that he has a heater and gas bottle or a trolley which he pops outside the van and connects his water up to it when he decides he wants to use hot. That way the heater is outside. The down side is that it can be nicked when you are around the back of a house.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think there are any.
I have enquired twice when renewing van insurance and Aegis Insurance don't have an issue with a gas heater. It doesn't make any difference to the insurance premium either. i don't have to inform them if I fit one.

If there were regulations they would know about them.

There are regulations that apply to catering trailers. Although I haven't seen anything exhaust related, I doubt a gas installer will put his signature to an installation that hasn't got proper venting. Catering trailers are all fitted with roof vents.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Catering-Trailers-How-to-Connect-Gas-Electricity-and-Water-/10000000178358656/g.html

Personally, I don't agree with heaters that are fitted internally and the rear doors left open to vent the van. I would fit a roof vent. That just makes sense to me.

I would also fit an under roof LPG tank as I have room for it. However, the same tank can be fitted inside the van without issue as it has an enclosed coupling box fitted to the tank which effectively seals off the gas supply from the van's cargo area and venting to outside through a hole/s drilled in the floor. It works the same way as an Internal gas tank in the car boot on an LPG gas conversion. So really the only place the gas could leak into the van is at the heater coupling.

I quite like Smurf's idea. The way I understand it is that he has a heater and gas bottle or a trolley which he pops outside the van and connects his water up to it when he decides he wants to use hot. That way the heater is outside. The down side is that it can be nicked when you are around the back of a house.
Thanks spruce

I have a heater in van atm ,but I have to start it manually then switch water on ,I got a gas man to connect it up and sign it off (might help a bit ) I am also with age as so may check with them .i have no vent in the roof but I have a hole in the floor incase the gas leaks from tank (gas is heavier so will not rise ) I am told :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's correct about about gas flowing down not up.

LPG produces a lot of moisture when it's burnt and will cause a hell of alot of condensation in the van if you don't have adequate ventilation. If your worried about something getting pinched from te back of the van use the tow ring as a security point and a bike lock. At the end of the day if they want it that bad they will take it even if it has an armed guard!!

Back