Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of adding a carpet cleaning service?

GGCleaningServices

Hello All,

So a short background about myself, i have been cleaning windows since 08 WFP methods and in that time have built a ok round that is good enough to pay the bills and pay one employee. The problem is I'm still not earning, I'm getting by. I added a GutterVac system and a Pressure Washing system to my arsenal but as you all know, i can only be in one place at one time and i only have one pair of hands. Unfortunately my employee is only 18 and has not passed he's test yet (hopefully will soon) but even then I'm going to want to keep him close by to have him help me with the windows apart from the easy days or weekends when he wants the extra cash.

So with that being said, do you think a carpet cleaning service would be a good idea to bring in some extra cash? Can it be done with one person operating it. Is a Host Dry Cleaner better than a Wet Cleaner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

And yes the Pressure Washer does help out and so does the GutterVac but they aren't much good to me in the winter..

Thanks

No idea about carpet cleaning, but winter is a big time for cleaning gutters. I think its great as I can do them in all weathers (apart from extreme rain or wind).

@WWC Yea i just finished doing one today great fun in all that wind and rain :hehehe: One thing that bothers me greatly with the GutterVac system are the fittings for the end of the pole - Some gutters are a nightmare trying to fit them in.

Hello All,
So a short background about myself, i have been cleaning windows since 08 WFP methods and in that time have built a ok round that is good enough to pay the bills and pay one employee. The problem is I'm still not earning, I'm getting by. I added a GutterVac system and a Pressure Washing system to my arsenal but as you all know, i can only be in one place at one time and i only have one pair of hands. Unfortunately my employee is only 18 and has not passed he's test yet (hopefully will soon) but even then I'm going to want to keep him close by to have him help me with the windows apart from the easy days or weekends when he wants the extra cash.

So with that being said, do you think a carpet cleaning service would be a good idea to bring in some extra cash? Can it be done with one person operating it. Is a Host Dry Cleaner better than a Wet Cleaner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

And yes the Pressure Washer does help out and so does the GutterVac but they aren't much good to me in the winter..

Thanks
Like any new service you are offering that require the purchasing of expensive equipment, you need to work out how much you'll make from it, and how long it will take you to pay it back. With machines like the rug doctor now being available to hire from tescos I must admit that its not something I would look into anymore.

i think, without sounding cheeky, you are focussing on too many areas without enough expertise.

Concentrate on canvassing window cleaning every day for a week/1 day a week for a month etc as you have a body who can help you.

adding gutter vacs/carpet shampooing is just too many different sectors to feed off of, especially when one area isn't fully booked and fit to burst.

Keep at one or 2 things, windows/gutters as they are sidelines of each other. Go out when its bad weather as other window cleaners won't be around much and someone might welcome a new reliable cleaner

Like any new service you are offering that require the purchasing of expensive equipment, you need to work out how much you'll make from it, and how long it will take you to pay it back. With machines like the rug doctor now being available to hire from tescos I must admit that its not something I would look into anymore.
Thank you for opinion and i had noticed those rentals!!

i think, without sounding cheeky, you are focussing on too many areas without enough expertise.
Concentrate on canvassing window cleaning every day for a week/1 day a week for a month etc as you have a body who can help you.

adding gutter vacs/carpet shampooing is just too many different sectors to feed off of, especially when one area isn't fully booked and fit to burst.

Keep at one or 2 things, windows/gutters as they are sidelines of each other. Go out when its bad weather as other window cleaners won't be around much and someone might welcome a new reliable cleaner
I do work and canvas when the weather is bad and yea i get new customers as much as the next window cleaner but tbh window cleaning is only great for me with contract work (two of mine just ended) they were great they pay in lump sums and that is what i want. Chasing the average domestic customer for money is tiring and tedious. I would say 70% of my customers pay online now and i have some very annoying customers that seem to think i have nothing else better to do than drive around to there house multiple times a week to chase a £20 all round.

Driveway cleaning is wonderful - i love to get there set up do the job and go home paid. I assumed carpet cleaning would be similar too. Just wanted to think about adding carpet cleaning to my many happy customers.

As for my expertise, I've aced Reach & Wash up to 70ft, Pressure Washing (chemicals and sealing fully trained ) using my 3000 PSI system to cut through anything i have come across so far. Thats without the 3 years doing GutterVac for commercial and domestic properties. Im Chas registered own my CSCS card, fully insured and a member of FWC - without sounding cheeky :thumbsup:

Whats that Chas thing all about? I always see it on builders + sparkys vans.
It's basically a way that companies can make sure you are capable enough to do the job as it should be done and safely. Things like, Health & Safety, Courses you have been on, Criminal Records that kind of thing. I had to jump through a lot of hoops and go on a few extra courses to pass it. Even had to do a asbestos course :gush:

It's basically a way that companies can make sure you are capable enough to do the job as it should be done and safely. Things like, Health & Safety, Courses you have been on, Criminal Records that kind of thing. I had to jump through a lot of hoops and go on a few extra courses to pass it. Even had to do a asbestos course :gush:
Just checked it out. Has it won you any contracts?

Just checked it out. Has it won you any contracts?

It has been ok, When i originally got it i was bent over a barrel and had cleaned a huge job (not mentioning no names) and then when it come to getting paid i was told i need to hold a Chas Certificate. Anyway long story short - i wouldn't bother unless you need it. It took me months and a lot of stress.

It has been ok, When i originally got it i was bent over a barrel and had cleaned a huge job (not mentioning no names) and then when it come to getting paid i was told i need to hold a Chas Certificate. Anyway long story short - i wouldn't bother unless you need it. It took me months and a lot of stress.
my company is safecontractor approved, CSCS carded etc and like you, had to do a lot of things that really werent that essential in order to get it. We are a sub-contract cleaning company so a couple of housebuilders up in scotland and we need it as its the first thing they ask for - an H&S accreditation as it takes almost all liability away from them (and paperwork)

GGC - good luck with the carpet shampooing i wasnt having a go at all /emoticons/smile.png

You said it yourself you only have one pair of hand meaning you can only physical work so many hours a week. Maybe you should be focusing on looking at maximising the gross profit on the work you take on before thinking of adding more services like carpet cleaning.

Hello All,

Thanks

I have a fair size round and I have someone working for me 3 days a week when I'm working on my own I can earn 200 a day and with someone else 300plus .I've just brought a carpet cleaning machine and before that I was cleaning carpets with another machine.thing is there's perks to cleaning carpets it's usually paid on the day and a nice amount if you put your jobs together so no waiting for that money to come in.

Plus when I do end of tenancy /carpet cleaning It gives me a break from cleaning bloody Windows!! Go for it mate there's some dosh to be made!!!

It really does depend on a few things if theres furniture to be moved if it's awkward to do and how soiled the carpets are but I'm still learning myself but I try and base all this 50 quid a hour I've under priced myself a few times but had some really good earners too.

I've just done a upholstery course and you can make some decent money in that too.

i reckon youre not funnelling in enough fresh window cleaning work. if you were youd not have time to even think of carpets .

cane the marketing buddy !

It's nice having a break from window cleaning sometimes,plus it opens up other areas such as end of letting cleaning,good to put other in and do the work for you,whilst your working eles where

Back