Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lead coming off windows, how do i repair?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Alex Smith

Hi, I have a few customers with leaded windows. My brush has pulled some of the lead off and I want to stick it back onto the glass for the them. I was thinking about using super glue, does anyone know if super glue will do the job or is there something else I should use?

Hi & welcome to the forum @Alex Smith :thumbsup:

I take it you are talking about fake leaded windows then with self adhesive lead stuck on the outside of them?

First of all what have your customers said about it comming off?

How many bits are you talking about also how many customer properties are afected?

Best contact this firm for advice directly https://www.decraled.co.uk/contact

[media]

[/media]

Hi, Yes fake leaded windows.

I have got about 5 customers with lead coming off. but just one that I want to fix. It is just one piece of lead running diagonally across the window.

Thanks for the video I will have a look and Thanks for your help.

No probs...Being self adhesive best to contact that firm directly to find out how to put it back on and for future reference let us all know what they said.:thumbsup:

if im trading it i was told by the chap i used to work with to just use a clean sill cloth and rub very lightly. When we did wfp we just rinsed and lightly brushed them.

He hated doing faux lead windows so only had a handful on his entire round

No matter what you do it will never be as strong as how it left the glass house originally so eventually it will start coming away again

hi alex,that was my first job when i was in the glass trade,that lady wouldn't have lasted long,its very easy to replace the lead either one long strip or a small section,just cut the lead to size plus a few inches more,stretch it a bit to make it straight and taught then press on to the CLEAN glass/bone down with the peg and it will be fine mate,better to buy aged lead as it will have the patina to match the other strips

Would be very awkward to do up a ladder I would have thought though :rolleyes:

hi alex,that was my first job when i was in the glass trade,that lady wouldn't have lasted long,its very easy to replace the lead either one long strip or a small section,just cut the lead to size plus a few inches more,stretch it a bit to make it straight and taught then press on to the CLEAN glass/bone down with the peg and it will be fine mate,better to buy aged lead as it will have the patina to match the other strips

Latest Posts

Back