Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just out of interest...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

When you clean your own house windows, how do they look when you look out of them in full sun? Mine look absolutely shocking :eek:. I can trad them or WFP them and it is always the same result and that's including cleaning the insides too. So many what looks like dust particles that never shift, it's like hair lacquer has been sprayed on the glass and dried solid. They look great out of the sun :cool:. I wonder how many houses have glass as bad as mine?

Here's an example. Ignore the finger smudge, but look at the dusty effect.

8F57D5DA-646A-4D25-A084-81870806BC0B_zpsate4u7jg.jpg

I would sack your window cleaners if it was me as obviously he is **** at both trad & wfp /emoticons/biggrin.png

Have you ever used a scraper on them Tuffers? If its been a while then it might be worth doing it again because that looks bad. Even in the worst sun mine are perfect bar the odd smear along the top of some windows...usually when I'm too lazy to change out for a dry scrim.

My first thoughts it was either hard water staining, salt marks or tree sap if it can't be cleaned off by just using either trad or wfp.

might need an acid wash to take that off

i was given a gallon of hydrochloric acid recently

or is it hydrofluoric. its gonna bug me i cant remember

either way its strong

Then again you could have had a visitor kindly spraying stuff on your windows then trying to flog you some hydrochloric acid for all we know :rolleyes:

How are your door locks? /emoticons/biggrin.png

The units are about 12 years old. I reckon it's just :turd: glass. You can also see a kind of foggy, grey, smokey effect inside the unit. The units aren't blown at all and have never used a scraper on them as the marks aren't raised.

I have had similar probs on mine ,it's between the glazing unit ,I have seen it on custys also same thing I would have thought over time the weathering would do this anyhow?

When you clean your own house windows, how do they look when you look out of them in full sun? Mine look absolutely shocking :eek:. I can trad them or WFP them and it is always the same result and that's including cleaning the insides too. So many what looks like dust particles that never shift, it's like hair lacquer has been sprayed on the glass and dried solid. They look great out of the sun :cool:. I wonder how many houses have glass as bad as mine?
Here's an example. Ignore the finger smudge, but look at the dusty effect.

8F57D5DA-646A-4D25-A084-81870806BC0B_zpsate4u7jg.jpg
I've got the perfect solution Tuffers.....just call cnc....he'll sort it no problem...and of course he's cheap....only thing is just make sure no one is home when he calls...cause cnc don't do people....lol

Or and if he happens to send one of his partners....er....Dave or Frank then be prepared for a breakage....or....2....!!!! lol:devil:

I've got the perfect solution Tuffers.....just call cnc....he'll sort it no problem...and of course he's cheap....only thing is just make sure no one is home when he calls...cause cnc don't do people....lolOr and if he happens to send one of his partners....er....Dave or Frank then be prepared for a breakage....or....2....!!!! lol:devil:
I don't want that banana thingy washing my windows /emoticons/biggrin.png

yeh not a lot you can do about the dirt on the inside of double glazing units ...naughty glazing people,it is hard to keep dust out even in a factory...

as for my windows....the front ones have gone.....so a waste of time cleaning...they were guaranteed but....two years in the company went bust ...as they do...and just changed their name and set up again ..why the government allows this I dont know...

i cleaned em today....because i nipped over to check his lordships and they were filthy with this stupid weather and so i whipped over them and had just enough to do my fronts....me loves my banana..

the backs can wait...i dont look out of the back much and they will only get dirty again...I cant really see the point of cleaning windows../emoticons/tongue.png

well okay...in this weather..:cool:

@cheapncheerful, your windows should be guaranteed for 10 years. I had a lock go on mine after 9 years. The company that fitted them went bust long ago. I contacted the guarantee company and got it fixed. It might be worth looking into mate.

it was a few years ago now but two of the locks went on the doors and i replaced them and sent the bills to the creditors but they said tough your at the bottom of a long list...and so i never heard anything again...yep it was a ten year guarantee too..

the windows were not fitted very well either but it was the last owner who got them done not me...

dont believe a lot of guarantee s as they seem to wriggle out of em if they can....

it was a few years ago now but two of the locks went on the doors and i replaced them and sent the bills to the creditors but they said tough your at the bottom of a long list...and so i never heard anything again...yep it was a ten year guarantee too..
the windows were not fitted very well either but it was the last owner who got them done not me...

dont believe a lot of guarantee s as they seem to wriggle out of em if they can....
Worth a go Dave. My so called mate wanted to charge me £300 for a new window (bathroom window wouldn't open). I checked the guarantee, I think it was Fensa, not sure though. Called them and after a while they sent a bloke out who replaced the lock. I've had the bedroom window gearing snap the other month. I googled and googled until I found the exact gear mechanism. I got it for a fiver off eBay. Saved me a few quid :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh it was a pain to get the right bloomin locks they are all different ...and the handles too...in fact I dont think there was anything in this house that hasnt broke...i have replaced most of the taps ball cocks etc...i will have a look on the google.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I would swear there is something wrong with our glass as cold just seems to pass straight through and they get full of condensation but ....not the windows i have put in from b and q...

Back