Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning licence???scotland

N

neil fearnley

Hi

Just after advice,was just reading about arrests made locally to me of window cleaners operating without a licence(had never heard of window cleaning licence)

I don't actually do windows just guttering and fascia boards

Do I need a licence for this?Im Going to start doing Connie roofs in the next couple of months but have no I intention of doing windows tbh

Anyone know the score?

Sounds a bit of a grey area to me as surely you wash down the windows afterwards or at least use trad/rag them down?

Same goes with conservatory cleaning as what are you going to say if you get asked to clean the windows or glass roof "sorry I can't as I've not got a lic to clean them"

If it was me I would contact your local Scottish council to confirm if you need a lic or not but as window cleaning is part of my job I would have to bite the bullet and get one.

I personally think it’s ridiculous as they only brought it in to cut down on house burglaries and scams so anyone walking about with a ladder they think is a scumbag up to no good.

U would be better off getting one as they normally work out about £40 a year saying that

Sum houses i do u need a licence and sum u don't its crazy

Thanks for the advice guys

Will phone them tomorrow and see what's what

Might end up doing windows afterall

Neil what council area are you, if you don't clean windows you will not need a window cleaning licence. I have 2 licences because I work in 2 different council areas about £140 for 3 years per licence. But you are not cleaning windows.

Neil what council area are you, if you don't clean windows you will not need a window cleaning licence. I have 2 licences because I work in 2 different council areas about £140 for 3 years per licence. But you are not cleaning windows.
Fife

Don't do windows but will have to rinse down now and then if using chems on guttering

Lots of trades involve cleaning a window after a job has been completed so really don't think you have to worry but good that you are conscientious enough to find out find out..

The best person to get hold of is Doug Atkinson of daqua wfp supplies in stirling he knows the licence system inside out.

I just found this that maybe of interest as if window cleaning is part of your service then best get a lic to cover yourself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30195839
That was article I was on about

Cheers for the advice fellas,I spoke to the council today and turns out I do need a licence,bit of a bummer as I don't do windows

Looks like I might have to learn /emoticons/wink.png

No probs /emoticons/wink.png

Always better to work within the law even how stupid it is and gives customers peace of mind knowing you have been vetted & can clean their windows too.

Just a thought that crossed my mind so that means that every trade that has to give a window quick clean after work has been completed needs a window cleaning licence, joiners, glaziers, gutter cleaners, facia fitters and cleaners, etc, that just doesn't seem right.

I honestly think fife council has got it wrong because if that's the case everyone and their granny would need a licence!

That the daft thing as if you work on the boarders of 2 councils or more you have to apply for a lic to work in each area. Then some councils you don't need a lic at all as they can't afford to administer it. :confused:

Back