Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bottled it - demoralised

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
Well Today was going to be the day I did some canvassing. Its been eating at me since I started wc 2 months ago that I have to go door knocking.

So today was the day, weathers pretty good, dont start my part time job whilst 2pm, nothing else to do so no excuses.

I got up shaved, dressed smart, got my notebook, leaflets and headed to the area I had prechosen.

So firstly drive round the area. Stopped for 5mins shitting myself. Decides ll just pop to asda for a drink and a sandwhich then ill be ready.

Sat in asda car park for 15 mins checks my Facebook and a message from a new custie I had cleaned in the same area last week telling me they only wanted a one off not to come again.

Not a massive problem maybe but when youve only got a few custies and darent knock on doors it just made me feel worse.

Anyway I goes back to the area gets out of car and walks round street For 10mins.

Couldnt bring myseld to knock a door in my head I was looking at windows thinking they've got a cleaner or theres no one in etc.

So got back in my car and came home. Im so dissapointed in myself its driving me mad but I just cant get over this anxiety of knockingon doors ffs lol .

End of story

Keep trying as you will get there in the end as can be daunting to start with but is a great way to meet people even if they say "no thanks" Even better when they say "yes please" as you will be buzzing for hours. /emoticons/smile.png

I think you need an opening line in your head. Simple and straight forward.

"Good Morning, I wondered if you need a window cleaner?"

"No sorry"

"Ok you have a nice day"

Of course if its "Oh yes, I have been looking for a window cleaner" then you you go straight to pricing etc.

If you know what you are going to say it takes the fear away.

thanks..will have to dust myself off and try again as soon as poss, just seems like im taking one step forward two back in getting this business going sometimes, what with this and the recent weather and this bloody part time job that i need to pay bills. not easy this starting a business lark:(

Keep going mate, the customers are out there. I was the same and did exactly as you did today many times! Ended up back at home peed off with myself. And I had spent a fair amount of dough on the van setup. I asked a salesman friendto come out with me for a couple of days and never looked back. He said just ignore any rejection, be very polite, staright to the point as Sp said and move on if they are'nt interested. keep it very simple. Good luck and don't beat yourself up it is a hard thing to do when you are not used to it..

If you were near London i would have said come out with me canvassing or i would come with you

I don't know if any of us are near you

Thanks Smurf, high praise indeed. Like anything in life, if we can stick at it with belief, it will happen!

Too true matt

I have always just gone out and got what i want

It is 99% about believing you can do it

Got 3 more today while working just by chatting to neighbours and one of them was a good job i did for a new custy this morning who recommended me to someone

Just have to know you can do it and get out there

and if i can do it anyone can

if i was you id leaflet instead. this will be gruelling but it should bring long term results. itll be gruelling as you must deliver tens of 1000s of fliers to guarantee a result

Upside is ,no talking at the door. Second upside = a stonking big round

How committed are you to this venture? Will your family go hungry if you don't get out there and work? What did your Mrs say when you told her that you bottled it? Kick yourself up the backside and get out there tomorrow and canvass twice as hard! Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but if you really want to do this for a living YOU and only you have to make it work.

Get out there!

I am the biggest coward of em all and I have never knocked a door but....I have dropped leaflets...and am still doing it..even these days I hide....as I also deliver a magazine and sneak my card inside...getting work is very hard at times and at other times it comes in too fast..but most of all dont give up.

Me being lazy I got a leaflet drop with a local paper its always hit and miss as you get one here and one there and its not a lot of money at first but it will come...

I have only ever done windows for my job and all the work that comes with it so I know its out there...

If you want a real push try and buy a small round, usually around the three times the monthly value and that way at least you will have a start...

anyway good luck and keep us informed...and we all have bad days and good days..believe frank, I mean me.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I find people are very friendly. Only two out of hundreds have been a little offish. Really, you need to see it as walking around chatting to people all day. Some are very grateful for your visit! Remember, if they dont take you up on your offer, it's their loss. Some Will, Some Won't, So What.

Get back out there tomorrow morning, good luck!

Try approaching it with a more casual attitude, its often easier to get work the less nervous/desperate you are.

when your door knocking just remember if they are not interested you will never see them again in your puff.Now all of a sudden it becomes easy totally believe in what your doing as all the guys are saying the graft will come.

Get out tomorrow canvass all day until five go home knackered and see how much graft you have

to do

gd luck

I ran out of cards at some point but I must have put over 500 out at the weekend...we do a thousand mags....and not one phone call yet....still I live in hope:D

adamangler where in west yorkshire are you mate might be able to help you
Im in wakefield mate, i will pm you, very kind offer, thanks

if i was you id leaflet instead. this will be gruelling but it should bring long term results. itll be gruelling as you must deliver tens of 1000s of fliers to guarantee a resultUpside is ,no talking at the door. Second upside = a stonking big round
Posted about 5000 last year for various services and the response rate is very poor, tbh i find leafletting almost as daunting as knocking and tbh if i can make it to a door to post a leaflet may as well knock.

How committed are you to this venture? Will your family go hungry if you don't get out there and work? What did your Mrs say when you told her that you bottled it? Kick yourself up the backside and get out there tomorrow and canvass twice as hard! Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but if you really want to do this for a living YOU and only you have to make it work.
Not quite that bad, i work 30 hours part time, and try to juggle about 35 custies around it, it is a ball ache due to weather etc and i have no days off really for not a lot of money, my main motivation at this point is to get enough custies to go full time which will both free me time up to get more business whilst earning the same,

Get out there!
Thanks for the replys, unfortunately i only have an hour or two spare most days for canvassing as i work not far off full time hours and when not doing this i have a few windows to do and have my kids over and stuff. also logistically im living with my girlfriend in a flat so no access to water so im back and forth to my parents (20 min drive) to fill up. So a lot of ******* about.

Its not a cant be arsed thing as im very keen i seem to have developed an anxiety about it lol.

Whatever happens with canvassing i will succeed one way or another it just might take me longer i suppose

Thanks to those that offered help, very kind of you.

One idea i had was to try to pay someone to help me a few hours a week, maybe do a local ad. hopefully that would make it easier especially if i can find someone more confident.

Try approaching it with a more casual attitude, its often easier to get work the less nervous/desperate you are.
i have got work by knocking a door and saying hello sweetheart do you need a window cleaner

Your attitude is part of what sells you

If you are relaxed and friendly it sets that tone with the prospective custy most of the time

If you want to pay someone to canvass for you click whizzbizz link on this forum he will sort you out

Back