Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pro's & cons of flow controllers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

im thinking of getting a pump etc & i was talking to a lad who supplies pumps & he seems to think i'd be ok without a flow controller as the pump has a pressure switch.

at the moment i only use a backpack & i only ever use the 1 speed so i've no experience of it

what are peoples opinions please

Get one - will save you loads of water, and make the battery last much longer.

If thinking of using Aqua-dapter, then get one from their site, as some "test" every 3 seconds to see if they should cut in again - and it can be a pain waiting.

If looking for a cheap DIY solution - you could fit one of these in your backpack & will work well - but not if using a pump that pulls more than 5 amps:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/panel-mounted-speed-regulator-module-30310

go flow controller. can disconnect ,pressure switch on pump, and easily control flow and pressure. also should save water, and probably battery juice.

my view is you do save water but, its something else to break and replace and its a pain to set up properly the de detection part anyhow.

i would get one but go for a recommended one most guys i know buy them from purefreedom

i don't have one and barely use 200 litres per 6 hours. my pumps fitted with a by pass so if i have it on high pressure, when the water flow is cut, the pump does, hence saving the battery, but must admit mines usually set to low for it to cut in. so not essential i don't think, so would'nt go into debt for one

Dont understand that statement about the bypass chip?, surely the pump will cut out anyway when the water is turned off?.

When i 1st started, i didnt have a pump controller and used to go through as much as 800l in a day!. Now i've seen the light(!), and can get away with a 500l tank, and what's more, i'm still the original pump (in case anyone has any concerns about the life of the pump when using a controller), thats 3 years in june (just under a year without controller, 2 years with controller). The pump controller i have was from cleaning spot, and has a dial (not digital), and was a piece of cake to set up!.

Dont understand that statement about the bypass chip?, surely the pump will cut out anyway when the water is turned off?.

When i 1st started, i didnt have a pump controller and used to go through as much as 800l in a day!. Now i've seen the light(!), and can get away with a 500l tank, and what's more, i'm still the original pump (in case anyone has any concerns about the life of the pump when using a controller), thats 3 years in june (just under a year without controller, 2 years with controller). The pump controller i have was from cleaning spot, and has a dial (not digital), and was a piece of cake to set up!.

as above there is no cons with a controller

just had a thought !!!!!!!!!! if i just put a tap on my pole hose will that not do the same job?????????

i'm not knocking controlers, i've never had one for a start so have no right to, just saying you can live without them, but if funds allow and you want one go for it.

regarding by pass and relay wiring, as far as i know (subject to disagreement! ) is it's to prolong pump and it's switch, the relay does the cutting in and out rather than the switch, and if it does'nt cut out when the taps off the water circulates. bus driver, i think yours is from the same place as mine if i remember another post so will be rigged like that, no idea if all the companys and pumps are like it, but have heard of pumps burning out quick so maybe ought to

just had a thought !!!!!!!!!! if i just put a tap on my pole hose will that not do the same job?????????
I have a tap on pole hose too. but you still could do with controller, in the past people without controllers have had problems with pumps burning out, etc. or shortened life span of pump.

you can buy just pressure switch for pump. without renewing whole pump now, but I'd still have controller to increase its life, and have better control of pump speed etc.

Back