Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employees!?!?

tried them all young ,older,friends , friends of family

at the moment got the best i,ve had, great grafter had him year

must say find it hard getting good grafters

Not speaking from experience, but more from what I've read in similar threads in here, it's a bit of a catch 22.

Great employees often inevitably decide to go it alone eventually, while the not so good ones continue being not so good under your pay!

iv 3 fulltimers , lads of 19. its taken me 4 years of employing to get a good grafting bunch,at first i had one parttimer,then 2 parttimers

prior to this iv employed utter wasters ,malingerers, half baked types, rogues, loudmouths , the whole gamut - this is part of the learning curve .

i pay mine hourly ,guarantee 6 hours per day and round up the hours thereafter. i.e. if its 10 past 4 we finish,theyre paid till 5

Sounds good it's so hard. I want a young lad...someone willing to listen and learn and I pay hourly and guarantee 6 hours also! What kind of money do you pay if you don't mind me asking? @boarcity

i pay 7 per hour plus an equal share of all tips. a free jumbo bacon roll from the bus cafe every 6 months and holiday pay ,xmas bonus ,footwear allowance, free pick up and drop off at their home god its sounds a real treat ...

and it is!

Holiday pay and Xmas bonus sounds sweet!! Got any jobs going? Lol @boarcity I pay £10 an hour minus the little extras...hopefully I'll find someone reliable soon!

when you are fresh out of school at 16 or drifting unemployed at 18 , 7 quid an hour is bloomin good money -and a job for life too, i forgot to add that in above

Holiday pay and Xmas bonus sounds sweet!! Got any jobs going? Lol @boarcity I pay £10 an hour minus the little extras...hopefully I'll find someone reliable soon!
10 is top dollar for a youngster. when i started employing i paid 8, this was a mistake , i got no respect .

10 is top dollar for a youngster. when i started employing i paid 8, this was a mistake , i got no respect .
I pay that as the guy I have at the moment is a mate and a fully grown fella with responsibilities but I know what you mean I had someone before (family) was paying £10 an hour and he ended up asking what I would be making that day and then asking if he would be getting more on certain days when he knew I was doing a big day of earning! Forgot to say I pay through the lunch break aswel! The next guy is definitely starting on £7 and getting the incentive of extra money for reliability and hard work!

the biggest firm in my area does it differently. each pair of lads have to take 250 in takings daily to make target . the only way to do it without bustin a gut is to cut corners , of course they do. turnover of staff is alarmingly high! , im not sure what the rate of pay is but theyre paid till 4pm but often hide up from 2pm if the targets met

the biggest firm in my area does it differently. each pair of lads have to take 250 in takings daily to make target . the only way to do it without bustin a gut is to cut corners , of course they do. turnover of staff is alarmingly high! , im not sure what the rate of pay is but theyre paid till 4pm but often hide up from 2pm if the targets met
This is what I mean. It's so hard to get someone that actually has an interest in working hard as the face of your business. I think it's good to have people out in teams with a target for the day. pay one guy (more experienced) a little more each day to make sure the jobs done right and keep the other focused. Then regularly do random checks on the both of them and if it's not done right the one on the most dosh gets it in the neck!

the good guys at that firm get to work alone if they get the chance [lower target] cos they dont want a dumfook newbie tagged with them ,slowing them.costing them dearly .

even so,iv got a lot of respect for this firm, theyre in a really nice uniform and its a proper organized system too ,

they turn up at the HQ [a lockup, nontheless its proper premises] at 8a.m. ,then from 8 till 9 is unpaid for the loading of the van and route planning . first two weeks is the trial period,unpaid,at end of it if ok theyre given the uniform and a full set of tools that they then own .

that must feel great to a newbie .

Last edited:
Makes sense. They lose more money than they make for the first two weeks then start to get the hang of it! I admit guys in their own make a lot more money even getting in and out of the van between jobs burns a lot of time with two guys compared to one!

i made money from the off from employee number 1 , less so employee number 2 , and number 3 actually cost me for 6 months before i made a cent . i kidded myself id got enough work for a 3rd worker but in truth i should have delayed at least another 6 months till we were swamped with work good n proper . but at the time i was fretting that becos we were working like dogs ,scared somebody would quit .

i have no intention of taking on any more for foreseeable future as we are working from just the 1 van [partner crewvan ] ./ and i really enjoy it at this controllable size and reckon i can keep a handle on it as all of em are in my sight so to speak

Yeah sounds great to be able to keep track of them all in one go and to have the work all close enough together to make it work! Do you use wfp? @boarcity
no, trad. iv never regretted employing. however my family thought it would be a bad idea,instead they advised "jus downsize a tad and then slog on FOR THE NEXT 20 YRS OR SO

that drove me not to delay employing

i used to employ 10 people at one point. total nightmare and i was making less than i am at the moment with 3 people.

had too many wages, vans, fuel, extra insurances, materials, holiday pay etc.

Now its me as director and 3 workers and it works well. we do internal cleans for builders but also window cleaning for them so they can do everything.

Took me a while to get folk worthwhile though, you'll go through 10 to get 1 semi decent one though, easily

i used to employ 10 people at one point. total nightmare and i was making less than i am at the moment with 3 people.
had too many wages, vans, fuel, extra insurances, materials, holiday pay etc.

Now its me as director and 3 workers and it works well. we do internal cleans for builders but also window cleaning for them so they can do everything.

Took me a while to get folk worthwhile though, you'll go through 10 to get 1 semi decent one though, easily
when you had 10 employees were you running the whole show single handed?

Latest Posts

Back