Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Been a While....

Ian Fisher

Hey Guys

I've been absent from the forum for a while ......i've been struggling with media meltdown trying to balance website design with Facebook presence "research time" and everything else has meant that I havnt been keeping up with whats going on. Here's a brief synopsis of my last few months of getting myself sorted.

I now have one of the longest window cleaning vehicles in the country having moved on from my former banking life by offloading my beloved Passat cc and sorting myself a van which has soon moved in on my
4245-815da4699c69a29fa60bbca1e2cc8153.jpg
affections as I have had a midlife crisis tricking it up. I've still got the trailer which can make the odd situation a little tricky though I've got used to it and know what i can and cant do, (one dented VwPolo and 4 sets of trailer lights later).

www.pristinepole.co.uk website is up and running and has moved to page three on Google for Poole Window Cleaner which isn't bad after only 4 months of organic existence - would welcome any new input on how i can drive this further i need/want to be page 1 but i don't want to spend any money ;-).....

Not been doing any active marketing aside from pushing Facebook Pagehttps://www.facebook.com/pristinepole?ref=hl which is definitely driving profile and business.

4246-7c9dc3df8c8371ca484ff8b5d2757b9c.jpg

Now i'm trying to design a spring specific flyer to do a massive drop - combined with some direct canvassing. Through nothing other than good fortune i've been able to pick up a great £5K per Annum contract which i start next month. So i've survived my first winter learnt much - continue to learn and want to learn more.

Feedback on everything welcome- promotional ideas welcome and more contracts welcome!

Ps i also had my 1st big ladder fall a few weeks ago :-( 18ft from a rooftop landing on my back with the ladder land on top......of a glass conservatory......which i have used up every bit of luck that ive earned because there was no real damage to me ...or to the conservatory - Lucky Very LuckyView attachment 3869

View attachment 3868

thankfully survived the fall...keep us informed its looking good /emoticons/biggrin.png

take us a pic of where you fell when you next visit...I need a good scare every now and then...

Hi @Ian Fisher love the branding, looks great! And that advert is brilliant! When you say pushing your facebook page, have you been dabbling in paid social? I.e. promoted posts and facebook ads?

Sounds like you got very lucky with that fall!

HeySimply Business Thanks Very much ! When i say pushing my Facebook page i mean that i've signed up to every local group i can find and share posts like my Mr Grey one on those. The response i had to the Mr Grey post was great and i wanted to pay for it to be promoted but of course FB Copywrite rules git in the way....seriously considering this though as its not too pricey and has got to be worth a go- all of it helps drive SEO on my website anyway which drives me towards the 1st page so all good!

Ah brilliant @Ian Fisher. Be careful with sharing posts in multiple groups. A good tip would be to try and engage in the groups as well, as people in the groups can see it as spamming if you just share your post and leave /emoticons/smile.png

Facebook actually allows you to target people in your area with your posts! Could be worth targeting to people in your area. Without paying for posts to be promoted, approximately only 10% of your total Facebook likes/fans will even see it, let alone read it or click!

Ah brilliant @Ian Fisher. Be careful with sharing posts in multiple groups. A good tip would be to try and engage in the groups as well, as people in the groups can see it as spamming if you just share your post and leave /emoticons/smile.png
Facebook actually allows you to target people in your area with your posts! Could be worth targeting to people in your area. Without paying for posts to be promoted, approximately only 10% of your total Facebook likes/fans will even see it, let alone read it or click!

Good advice Simply Business, Thanks most of the groups however are buy/sell services etc so i dont think i would be considered as a spammer, aside from that i'm careful around my frequency also as i can see people getting very tired of my quickly otherwise!

Good stuff @Ian Fisher /emoticons/smile.png Are you active on any other social media at all?
twitter and G+ frankly it becomes quite difficult to maintain consistently but i know that's whats required- I've dabbled in hootsuite ...but its still hard work- what are your thoughts ?

Awesome! What's your Twitter handle @Ian Fisher? Google Plus hasn't taken off as many expected, but the communities are what bring g+ to life - there are a few really good UK business communities!

Hootsuite can be a good way of keeping an eye and managing them all under one roof so to speak. Sprout social is also good for this sort of thing /emoticons/smile.png

Why are you still towing a trailer?
Hey Smurf because I've got one ! And the van is the family vehicle also... TBH its not a stress and does make me look "different"! I've got 4 25l cans and a trolley in the back so I can be conventional to. I just don't want to tie the vehicle into a full tank. When the business is fully profitable I'll switch but until then the trailer stays !

Sent from my Nexus 4

Awesome! What's your Twitter handle @Ian Fisher? Google Plus hasn't taken off as many expected, but the communities are what bring g+ to life - there are a few really good UK business communities!
Hootsuite can be a good way of keeping an eye and managing them all under one roof so to speak. Sprout social is also good for this sort of thing /emoticons/smile.png
Pristine Pole is my twitter handle, same on G+, Google have made g+ so complicated its unsurprising that its not the new Facebook... I'll have a look at social sprout too. Ta

Sent from my Nexus 4

Oh I see that is why you brought a crew cab van instead.

Still that would do my head in having to tow a trailer about with a van for work when I did not need to as my wife has a car to run about in.

Oh I see that is why you brought a crew cab van instead.
Still that would do my head in having to tow a trailer about with a van for work when I did not need to as my wife has a car to run about in.
Bang on Smurf- Its like everything a compromise until i can earn enough $£$£$£$£$ to justify being a 3 Vehicle family, and also i couldn't face the prospect of driving the wife's sewing machine - great for her but definitely not a family car.!

So in effect you are still driving around in a family vehicle not a practical works van. Sorry but I can’t see the logic in your thinking. Surely the price you paid for that crew cab van you could have got yourself a van & a family car instead and done away with the so saw sewing machine and trailer.

Bang on Smurf- Its like everything a compromise until i can earn enough $£$£$£$£$ to justify being a 3 Vehicle family, and also i couldn't face the prospect of driving the wife's sewing machine - great for her but definitely not a family car.!

So in effect you are still driving around in a family vehicle not a practical works van. Sorry but I can’t see the logic in your thinking. Surely the price you paid for that crew cab van you could have got yourself a van & a family car instead and done away with the so saw sewing machine and trailer.
Understood Smurf not everyones bag but theres a whole bunch of reasons why i've gone this route which i havnt detailed - it does work, and works well and i get a van which now has as many toys as my old car and drives sweetly trailer or not and i'm not permanently humping 700L around or tying the vehicle down when refilling so wierd maybe but i'm happy.:)

Each to their own I suppose...

Myself I much prefer to drive a works van that can carry all my gear about hassle free rather than having toys to play with and having to tow a trailer....What are you like.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I give it about 3 months and you will be sick to death of towing that trailer about especially if/when you start getting really busy. Mind you if you were doing trad only with workers like @boarcity then a crew cab van would be ideal to ferry about his trad guys. Not sure about carrying all the ladders about though. :whistle:

Understood Smurf not everyones bag but theres a whole bunch of reasons why i've gone this route which i havnt detailed - it does work, and works well and i get a van which now has as many toys as my old car and drives sweetly trailer or not and i'm not permanently humping 700L around or tying the vehicle down when refilling so wierd maybe but i'm happy./emoticons/smile.png

Back