Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

FAO Alex. New SLX Clamps!

J D

Dont have my slx 18 very long and i dont use it that often, as my current slx is still in one piece. Already the end section has got the dreaded spin disease! Its got the new clamps fitted as well ! Im so annoyed about this, really thought this new Gardiners clamp system had solved this horrible problem!

Maybe ive just been unlucky? Anyone else having problems?

I thought the new gardiners clamps are self adjusting.??

Tighten them up enough to be able to extend each section without to much resistance.

You do need to tighten them up enough to stop the pole sections twisting though.

Mine seems to 'get loose' again. I tighten the little wing nut but very soon the pole will spin if I am using it sideways on. (If you know what I mean)

I know where your coming from fellas. However i cant physically tighten it any further or ill crack the section! Its as tight as it will go!

It might be worth checking to see if the threaded bar is screwed fully into the cylindrical retainer on the cam part of the clamp, as if not the clamp may not close as it is supposed to do giving the problem you describe. The nut might be fully threaded in but the bar not meaning the clamp can't close any tighter. You might want to remove the nut & try screwing the bar further in with some pliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might look at that tomorrow. I am never sure how much pressure should be applied to the lever to close it and lock the pole into place. I am afraid to tighten it too much in case I damage the thing.

Hi JD

How old is the pole?

Best thing to do is to contact us with the purchase date and some detailed photos of the affected part. It would be very surprising for one of our new poles to be spinning if fitted with Smart Clamps.

Hi Alex. It was purchased via surecleansystems on Sept 10th 2014. As for pictures, everything looks fine, no physical looking wear on the problem clamp. Its just not possible to tighten anymore and the section spins!

Hi Alex. It was purchased via surecleansystems on Sept 10th 2014. As for pictures, everything looks fine, no physical looking wear on the problem clamp. Its just not possible to tighten anymore and the section spins!
Hi JD

Could you email me several clear photos of the clamp when open, closed and the section clamping on to so that I can check it over?

[email protected]

Alex. I took the pliers to the problem clamp one more time today, before uploading any pics. I heard a little click and i was able to tighten the clamp just enough for it to take hold again on section. Im thinking a little bit of grit in the clamp mechanism was stopping me from tightening it ! All a learning curve i suppose & spinning disaster averted. Thanks for your help as always.....

Got to say thanks Alex. Top service from your company's rexieved poles today. Spot on don't know why I didn't make the decision to swap years ago. Thanks

I find that sometimes the thread needs lubricating to allow you to tighten the clamp more. Also, this is probably the wrong way to do it, but if the clamp is stiff, I sometimes tighten by turning the thumb lock rather than the nut part, it's easier to tighten that way.

my clamp nuts do wrk lose but i only need to readjust them like 2 or 3 times a week no biggy realy the nuts have a cheepy fiel to them but ide rather there adjustable then to stiff to adjust when needed

When I first got my slx-30. I had a bit of spin, but I've just tighened the nuts quite tight and I havn't had to adjust them for months. Great bit of kit.

Latest Posts

Back