Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dirty Velux Windows HELP please

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Greener

Hi All, I carried out a clean yesterday and part of it was 3 very high velux windows, they seemed to scrub up ok but the customer sent me some photos today showing that the edges in 2 of them have not cleaned that well :( now these window are on the main roof and quite high so having a bit f a problem applying pressure, have you guys got any advise on what to do?

View attachment 3917

Many thanks Greener

View attachment 3916

Its easy mate, you might need a hopup/step ladder though. See the long handle at the top, just grab that and pull and the whole thing will flip. just flip it enough for you to get access, and I like the window leaning towards me just less then horizontal (easy to control the suds so you don't make a mess). use the applicator hard on it as there is usually a lot of build up on these things. Squeegee towards you and when you get to the end of the window wipe the suds off while its still on the glass, otherwise it'll get trapped in the plastic 'gutters' and might drip down once you're gone. You'll then need a bone dry scrim to get it off the top of the glass or it'll dry nasty.

yep me done loads like that..

usually the first clean of neglected velux is a pain...but once done regular they are okay../emoticons/biggrin.png

I thought I was being clever on one particular job they were only small velux and the ground level went up to the garden so I thought my banana can nicely stretch from the garden horizontal across to them....yeh...you dont put banana horizontal on full extension...:rolleyes:

anyway I then went up the ladder with banana closed and did em like that but I do remember the first clean they didnt come up easy at all with ingrained black stuff on em...now its simples as I do em most of the time...well in the summer anyway...in the winter..I aint going up my ladder working off damp yorkshire stone flags...and its dark in the winter...who looks up there..:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have avelux window i cleaned from inside too, the only problem is u have to walk up all the stairs and they being in

Still after looking at the pics looks like they are still dirty on the outside to me.

The first two things I would check are that this grime is not 1. on the inside & 2. between the two panes before doing anything.

Still after looking at the pics looks like they are still dirty on the outside to me.

I had a guy, long standing customer repeatedly accuse me of purposely missing his velux window (which I actually cleaned for him as a bonus, it was never included in the original quote- cheeky barsteward!). Anyhow, one day I told him straight & made him stand there to watch me RE-clean it in his presence. I then told him to take his backside upstairs & report back the status- "you've seen me clean it, now is this dirt still there?" As you can imagine his face was bright red & genuine apologies were forthcoming!! As i had already previously told him- all the **** was on the inside!!:rolleyes:

Always worth checking.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, I carried out a clean yesterday and part of it was 3 very high velux windows, they seemed to scrub up ok but the customer sent me some photos today showing that the edges in 2 of them have not cleaned that well /emoticons/sad.png now these window are on the main roof and quite high so having a bit f a problem applying pressure, have you guys got any advise on what to do?
View attachment 6050 View attachment 6051

Many thanks Greener
Scrub longer, the green stuff does come off. I find that the glass in Velux's is the best glass there is, it sheets like a water fall /emoticons/smile.png

Depending how high it is could always use them pressure pump squirter things filled with some TFR and land some of that on there? Then rinse off wfp?

I did a couple of velux on a posh gaff that could not be done from the inside as where too high up and you could not turn them around even if you wanted as where electric openers,

Lucky for me was on a single story property but still I had to use ladders. I also had to use chems to cut through the years of grime on them as just using pure with a wfp did not shift it.

The rest of the velux windows the owner could clean them himself as they could be turn around.

I did a couple of velux on a posh gaff that could not be done from the inside as where too high up and you could not turn them around even if you wanted as where electric openers,
Lucky for me was on a single story property but still I had to use ladders. I also had to use chems to cut through the years of grime on them as just using pure with a wfp did not shift it.

The rest of the velux windows the owner could clean them himself as they could be turn around.
What chems did you use @Smurf ?

little point if you clean them from inside

when you turn them around at bottom off window there is pin which locks the velux so it stays locked so you can clean them

makes the job easier

Up the ladder, pump sprayer with chems and then wfp. Only know this because I did my first ones last week like that and they turned out trumps. Expert I am :rofl:

up the step ladder,

make sure you have a TIGHT belt on, otherwise your bottoms will be getting pulled down.

keep out of those cougars bedrooms.

like a Penus Flytrap.

you may not be seen again

HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA:laugh:/emoticons/smile.png

Back