Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do solar panels need cleaning?

you are mistaken SPC they are self cleaning glass solar panels :laugh:
I bumped into the local solar installer today ( I was cleaning his parents windows) and quizzed him regarding solarpanelcleaning. He replied, 'oh they don't get that dirty, do they'.

?????

I bumped into the local solar installer today ( I was cleaning his parents windows) and quizzed him regarding solarpanelcleaning. He replied, 'oh they don't get that dirty, do they'.?????
You dopey *****! He's gonna now send you a bill for £240 for that! And the certificate will have to be returned if you don't drop his name! /emoticons/tongue.png

You dopey *****! He's gonna now send you a bill for £240 for that! And the certificate will have to be returned if you don't drop his name! /emoticons/tongue.png
I've decided to do solar Steve's training day. At worst I'll lose a couple hundred quid and a day's work. Or, I may put myself in a position where I can clean more panels and make more money. Also, I'd rather it was me that got into bed with solar Steve ( I bet he hogs the duvet) than any of my local window cleaning competition.

If I had an established round, providing me with the turnover I was happy with, then perhaps I'd be less interested in parting with £240.

My tuppence worth.

Your point is not without merit, and seriously we should let sleeping dogs lay, it was simply how the course was presented that was the issue with folks, but good luck with it, I wish you (and Steve) a long and happy life together! /emoticons/tongue.png

I too gave some serious consideration to attending Steve's course. The same thought process, as in, If I do it in my area than no one else will get the chance. I could be making some serious money out of this deal. I had a long telephone conversation with him and it looked like a pretty good move

I have decided not to accept Steve's kind offer.

To be honest, I don't think I could clean a solar farm day in day out. How boring is that. I like some variety in my work. I will clean residential customers solar panels, but not a solar farm. I'm sure the money can't be that great.

Anyway just wait till they stop the tax relief on solar panels. No one will want them then, too inefficient, just like wind turbines.

I can take a minimum of £40 per hour on windows with my rounds as they are now, so unless Steve could at least match or enev better, better that then I do not personally see the point.

BTW Barney, I have custies that swear by their solar, reckon it's eliminated their electric bills.

I can take a minimum of £40 per hour on windows with my rounds as they are now, so unless Steve could at least match or enev better, better that then I do not personally see the point.
BTW Barney, I have custies that swear by their solar, reckon it's eliminated their electric bills.
Yeh I agree that in residential it can help reduce bills but it will not eliminate their electric bills, but the only reason that solar farms go up is because of the tax benefits the farmers get, same with wind turbines.

If they did not get these tax reliefs then the costs would outway the benifits.

Edit, but I suppose you could apply this for lots of things, that as taxpayers we subsidise a whole lot of things.

To be honest, I don't think I could clean a solar farm day in day out. How boring is that. I like some variety in my work. I will clean residential customers solar panels, but not a solar farm. I'm sure the money can't be that great.
Anyway just wait till they stop the tax relief on solar panels. No one will want them then, too inefficient, just like wind turbines.
You're right. Cleaning panels all day on one site is dull. I'd rather be buzzing about doing windows and chatting to people. Panels pay more for me though. I guess a mix is good.

£40 per hour is a good rate. I'd be very happy with that as a maximum average lol.

Yeh I agree that in residential it can help reduce bills but it will not eliminate their electric bills, but the only reason that solar farms go up is because of the tax benefits the farmers get, same with wind turbines.
If they did not get these tax reliefs then the costs would outway the benifits.

Edit, but I suppose you could apply this for lots of things, that as taxpayers we subsidise a whole lot of things.

It could eliminate your electric bill and more if you were smart. It's as much about reducing consumption as producing usable power.

As super capacitors become more efficient, people will be storing their electrical charge at home and using it when needed.

I lived off grid with panels and a wind turbine. Ran a fridge and stuff quite happily.

Back