Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Being a titt or not?

a1d4nj

Right, one of my customers (which I've been doing for a year) had move to a nicer and bigger house in the same location. I only have 3 customers in this location I like to add.

Anyways as I was driven through the village I seen the other local window cleaner, so naturally I would smile and put up my hand, only to get the dagger eyes at me lol some boy!

Anyway I parked at the customers house and had a good catchup which her and could see the window cleaner coming up the street.

His words was "I've paid a lot of money for this round, what are you doing here" i state the obvious.

Next his says this was my house how have u got this job? So I explain she has been a customer if mine. I went on to explain that I would not be walking the street undercutting him or anyone else, but if some rings me up that's diff. His reply is "you need to say no and redirect them to me" lol

To this point he replys again he paid for his round. I wish at the point I was a little faster in my feet and reply that I built my rounds from nothing.

Best thing is one of his customers herd this and ask me to give him a quote when I left, which I didn't because wasn't worth the hassle.

My question is am I in the wrong? Or is this bloke just a complete titt! Don't think next time I can hold my tongue

Nothing at all wrong with that what a *****

I had similar few week ago let's say it got heated to say the least

He told me it was his patch been cleaning it 5 year look on his face when I said try 19 pal since I was 15!!!!

Besides the point it's down to owns and lives in the house to decide who they won't clean there windows!!!!!

I honestly can't believe there are titts out there like this. I don't go undercutting people when I'm knocking on doors, I walk away if they currently have a windy. I advertise just like anyone else or let word of mouth do it's brilliant work.

I understand everyone has turn earn a £ but this titt has really got under my skin!

I would tell him to do one

Would be satisfying to take a few of his custys to show him he's a plank

You handled yourself well fella, but the only thing you did wrong was to not give the quote to the customer that asked for it. If that guy heard him he was probably unimpressed with his behaviour and his general demeanour. You're right not to undercut as it would be even better to be able to say to him that you are charging the custy even more then he was. If he was in any doubts how much of a ***** he was then that would be a strong conformation. /emoticons/biggrin.png

"GET OFF MY PATCH" twaddle as the customer decides who they want to employe not the other way around. Even when someone buys as so say round they are only buying good will from the person they bought the list from so it don't mean bugger all.

I would now go out of my way to get as many customers as I could on "his patch".

That's just how I roll......

I sometimes get the evil eye but k take no notice and they soon realise not to bother

I had one guy years ago try that and i just told him how it was..now he comes over and says hello when he sees me

Yeah my size does tend to put people off having a go lol, wasn't always the case though, when I was a youngster going out to pubs used to always get people starting....

I'm a big softy though, used to be called BFG by the girls at school /emoticons/biggrin.png

Out of interest guys do you think this sort of thing happens as much in other trades? I.e. turf wars/over-protective people of 'their patch'?
I was in vending before, and in that it was a big fat YES, it is why I gave up in the end, it was good for a few years, there was 3 of us in the area, we all got along etc, then a bunch of Indians from Coventry turned up and started going into places and telling them we had sold the round/gone out of business/weren't doing it anymore/whatever they could think of to get their machine in the place and put ours in a back room. Would turn up to collect after a month and half of our machines would have taken nothing as they were sat in a back room or store room somewhere.

Wasn't worth the bother in the end, and never managed to track them down, they didn't leave phone numbers on their machines or anything.

Reckon it will ever get that bad in the window cleaning game @daveyboy1? To be fair, the type of people that act like that, will act like it no matter what job they're in!

They can try round my way, the only reason they got away with it with the vending was because I couldn't track them down lol

I had my nose broken by a windie about 9 years ago when i was working in " his area"

I was subbing of a 25 year established company so i think it was the other way round

Anyway after the coward opened my car door and kicked me in the face then drove off my wife called the police

My brother in laws mate who was part of the dave king murder trial in Hoddesdon (look it up..automatic weapon and gunned down in the street) gave me a knock to see if i wanted it sorted

That guy is lucky i said no to be honest

Since then he has been "spoken to" and does not work in this town anymore and funnily enough has moved

I just don't get it as if when i went to the arndale centre in luton with the police to seebif i could pick him out in a crowd i had pointed him out he would have been in prison over an 8 quid job

I deliberately didn't pick him out as i prefer to sort these things myself

Latest Posts

Back