Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I don't know how often yet??

Greener

Hi all, how do you handle customers who enquire via email about a quote and say"I don't know how often yet??" I normally offer every 4,6 or 8 weeks? But I have a feeling this one would want it as and when? In the past I have turned down a clean as they wanted it done every 12 weeks but when I explained the cost would be more they weren't willing to except.

Say to them "8 weeks is the longest i do so I'll start you on that and if they are getting dirty too quick let me know and I'll do it more often"

Then they either agree or you walk

I would charge them for a one-off clean first. That way you cover your added time and effort if it's totally minging. Not only that will soon sort out people that are messers as that one sounds like to me.

I had a small regret at walking away from the one that wanted a 12 week clean, but I soon got over it /emoticons/wink.png as I'm just starting out I know what I do today will set out my stall for the future If you know what I mean? I haven't yet decided to charge extra for first cleans, and maybe ive been lucky as all my current customers have not pi**Ed me about when it comes to second clean. @Smurf how do you progress pass the first clean charge? What I mean is I understand charging a higher cost for first cleans but then how do you discuss ongoing cleans once the first clean is completed?

greener i only have one 12 week one and only do it as he does his own and the frames always clean wen i come and all that he has me 4 times a year as he say he like the windows getting done right once in a while lol ive had him 2 years and it takes same amount of time as the otheres in estate

That's easy as if they decide a frequency longer than 2 months it's classed as a first clean in my book so I just tell them that and price it accordingly.

@Smurf how do you progress pass the first clean charge? What I mean is I understand charging a higher cost for first cleans but then how do you discuss ongoing cleans once the first clean is completed?

as you say, set out your stall and stand by it. i find if i keep them talking,if you can make them laugh [not always easy! in desperation iv been known to say why are you so damn unfriendly and that CAN break the ice,tho not always... ] they often will later fall into line.

i myself only have 2 options that i bandy about , 4 or 6 weekly , in reality theres only the 1 option,the 6 weekly- but when they see its either 4 or 6 ,they plump for 6 thinking thats the misers choice!

Cheers boys /emoticons/wink.png I'm going to stick to my guns and only offer a Max of 8 week cleans and any new enquiries I'm going to add and extra 50% more onto the first clean than any future cleans? And see how it goes, just a bit nervous about the extra charge on first cleans:confused:

It's your business so you can run it how you like. Ideally though you should not be selling on price alone as will end up grafting for very little reward.

I usually only charge more on a first clean if it's totally minging and I will point out the reason why. If you charge more on all first cleans I think you are asking for possible cancellations of future cleans. People want value for money and I find you have to tread egg shells with some for the first few cleans until they are fully on board. You can usually tell which ones you will have to cajole.

I started doing double first cleans but soon stopped again when the job was only taking a few minutes more

Would rather swallow it and have happy new custys

I only offer one frequency now, and thats 4-6 weeks. I call it monthly, but say "it can take me anywhere up to 6 weeks to get to you due to weather etc". Most are happy with this, and it gives me plenty of leeway. I've had more complaints on being too frequent then anything else, and if I'm honest -they still seem very clean, so I try and hit it on 5 weeks nowadays.

I charge double, or close to double for first cleans as there are so many messers around here, usually I can spot them when they say something like; "We'll just have the first clean and then see from there".... no one thats serious about having a window cleaner says that. One of the only times I don't charge extra is if they have recently had a window cleaner, and the windows are in a reasonable state... but if its a 'one off' then its double regardless.

Now i have the big harris pole it is easy for minging first cleans like the 1 i did this morning to get it out the way for a neighbour

Old porcupine on the pole

Spray with ubik

Go over frame sill and glass from ground

By the time i position ladder and get up there it has had a soak and i clean as normal but with sopping wet moerman sleeve

The cack just melts off and hasn't taken hardly any longer

Only downside is have to detail everything when it is that wet

I started doing double first cleans but soon stopped again when the job was only taking a few minutes moreWould rather swallow it and have happy new custys
I know what you mean @daveyboy1 thats the whole reason I haven't been charging any more for first cleans, Id just like to know the best way to identify and price those customers who although they agree to lets say a regular clean every 8 weeks but only really have the intention to have a one off clean and then make excuses when its time for there second ect maintenance clean. I don't mind carrying out first cleans even if they are filthy at the standard maintenance clean price if it means I get repeat business, Ill take the hit as I'm thinking long term.

I only offer one frequency now, and thats 4-6 weeks. I call it monthly, but say "it can take me anywhere up to 6 weeks to get to you due to weather etc". Most are happy with this, and it gives me plenty of leeway. I've had more complaints on being too frequent then anything else, and if I'm honest -they still seem very clean, so I try and hit it on 5 weeks nowadays.
I charge double, or close to double for first cleans as there are so many messers around here, usually I can spot them when they say something like; "We'll just have the first clean and then see from there".... no one thats serious about having a window cleaner says that. One of the only times I don't charge extra is if they have recently had a window cleaner, and the windows are in a reasonable state... but if its a 'one off' then its double regardless.
Hi @TolishAPurd so do you just tell them its say £30 first clean due to it being so dirty and then £15 thereafter every 6ish weeks?

I started with 4 or 8, but you end up working your **** off every 8 weeks as it clashes with the other 4 weekers, becomes a pain in the ****, I only offer 6 weeks now, take it or leave it lol.

I do monthly or 2 monthly based on the first 4 weeks of the month

the last few days are for any 1 0ff jobs or to play catchup

i tend to end up working all month

thing is if you let it drag into becoming an 8 weekly round you Really will regret it in the long run . theres a world of diffrence between 4 and 8,8 is Much dirtier= you will get very tired scrubbing really dirty glass .

i can remember when i first started i was 4 weekly my first year , then i let it go to 6 weekly and boy did i feel it on my body. i wish id stuck to my guns [4 weekly] and didnt listen to a few moaners who werent worth diddleesquat

these days even with 3 employees theres a noticeable extra effort needed by all if things slide from 6 weekly into 7 . i then make sure we catch up no matter what it takes ,if it takes overtime or no smoke breaks for a while then so be it

At this moment im 4 days behind , partly due to Easter break ,partly due to workers illness, to catch up means some very gruelling days ahead this week. normal workload + + some every day

Last edited:
I started with 4 or 8, but you end up working your **** off every 8 weeks as it clashes with the other 4 weekers, becomes a pain in the ****, I only offer 6 weeks now, take it or leave it lol.
I Struggle to get anyone to commit to 4 weeks? and have only got a handful 6 weekly the majority opt for 8 weeks, Ive only been up and running since the 5th Jan and now have 126 regular probably 85% are on every 8weeks,

my opinion, uve got to get it back to 6 week MAX , cos once your round is full itll be too late to change and youre gonna risk burn yourself out slogging thru 100s of houses with really filthy glass

because you are new , miser customers try it on , they know that monthly is normal but are trying it on . also in your first year you will get a lot of rubbish customers, rise above them and stand your ground

Last edited:
Back