Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

So what's hypo good for?

It's been used in the cleaning game for a long time now as basicaly hypo kills algae and lichen stone dead.

It's been used in the cleaning game for a long time now as basicaly hypo kills algae and lichen stone dead.
So does that mean it needs to be left overnight etc?

I was at a job two days ago and next door wanted a quote. Really old and manky concreate path and patio pavers, garden retaining walls etc. I found out pressure washing is not always the best option for some jobs especially if the mortar joints and surfaces are dodgy. On that one I will just use hypo instead and rinsed it down with a garden hosepipe. I've done a few jobs now without the need to get my washer out of the van as hypo works very well on its own.

Hypo will also kill weeds & moss too but after cleaning I then say it's up to them to control weeds etc as they will grow back.

I have never offered to maintain people’s drives only clean them. The stuff you can get at diy stores is not very effective as the real powerful stuff that you will need a licence to use.

I would not use hypo to control weeds myself nor offer a weed killing service as everytime a weed pops up customers might start to winge. Hypo will kill most sprayers very quickly too so you can't really spray it on.

I use sprayers with viton seals for spraying the sealer on and these stand up to the harsher chemicals as opposed to your standard sprayer.

Still hypo eventualy will knacker that too as I know from experience :rolleyes:

I use sprayers with viton seals for spraying the sealer on and these stand up to the harsher chemicals as opposed to your standard sprayer.

im using a chemical resistant sprayer with viton seals and was told to rinse it out after every use and its 2 years old and still going strong /emoticons/wink.png

You on about sodium hypochlorite?

I would be hesitate before using it on any stone as it affects the surface leaving it more prone to becoming dirty again. Particularly noticeable on a polished surface.

Maybe not too much of an issue on block paving.........but be careful!

Also changes the colour of your jeans!!

Hypo is used throughout the industry - but you need to be careful.

It can kill grass - it discolours lead flashing etc

There are alternatives out there but most do not work as good

Latest Posts

Back