Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help with running black windows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

luc

I did a day on a council estate and all the rubbers on the windows just keep running black total nightmare, what do you wfp guys do to clean them I really struggled today and I'm glad the days over to be far.

These windows had been cleaned traditionally but not very well for about 15 years and the plastic frames are covered in black streak marks.

Any input i would really appreciate it.

Wash them as best you can. The windows will be clean but the white frames will look terrible at the bottom and the sill. We have several houses like this. Trying to clean the frames up doesn't help, they are just as bad next time we call.

Its not your problem. If they don't like it then they either replace the seals/windows or cancel your services. If you loose the job, another will be along shortly to replace it.

There are just some jobs I don't need to keep any longer. I have one that has sticky tape residue all over the front door. One day I invested my own time and cleaned it all off - took ages but I was proud of the result. 6 weeks later the door is full of it again, so I won't do it again.

If they want it done it will cost extra or they are welcome to find another window cleaner.

thats a totally different thing luc brnging them frames back to white is upvc restortation but thing is the we lines will slowly come back

ur best goin round doin the whole house then go back to start do just glass this works for me

dont stand for hours scrubbing at them lines as it aint comoing of without pvc cream or simliar

I had one first clean where I used diluted Virosol on the frames as they were that bad. I wasn't happy so the ladders came off and I did a hand job on the frames. Every time my cloth touched the seal, it got on my cloth and then on the white frame. So I had to use uPVC solvent on the frames. Total nightmare it was :eek:. Glass only from now on until I get the bullet!

thx guys tried my best they looked loads better and the customers seemed really happy with what I had achieved I was just not happy with the out come, spent about 30 min on each house and even had one customer pay me more than agreed because I had spent ages trying to clean them.

tip luc

when out canvassing again carry a small bottle of upvc cream cleaner in ur bag and offer to do a test patch on a window it takes about 2 mins but gets u in the door talking and they see the difference big time i just ary a hard sponge and a cloth to wipe of :) got a couple houses doing that but only do it if confident working up ladder /emoticons/tongue.png and of course charge accordinly

When I had running rubbers i sprayed the whole lot with ubik and gave a very good scrub with my porcupine

After a good rinse with clean water on the porky and a good wash after they sorted themselves out

Can't see why doing that wfp wouldn't be actually easier and then rubbers should behave after

I have being doing the following method for first cleans and it has speeded me up and gives peace of mind with runs.

Start at far side of house, take your pole, a spray bottle with APC or similar in and a couple of microfibres or what i use a microfibre towel that i use for car valeting, much bigger and absorbs more water.

Spray brush with apc and scrub and rinse top window frames

Drop pole down scrub and rinse bottom window frames

Stick microfibre (or preferably towel) on brush head go back up to top windows and wipe across top frames

flick the pole the microfibre will fall off allowing you to rinse glass on all top windows and sills.

Drop down to bottom and wipe top frames by hand, then scrub and rinse glass

then do this on all sides of house

it sounds long winded but its not, saves you doing all frames the going back and doing glass, it suits me anyhow, the main points being use an APC meaning less scrubbing and dry the top frames to stop runs

Is a totally different story though if they are left for years to bleed as is near enough imposible to get off white plastic.

i dont attempt to remove anything that wont come off with APC and a good scrub, if its stained it stays stained, that would be UPVC restoration and not something i offer currently

Cream cleaner and a magic sponge will sort most upvc

Just have to allow enough time in your quote

600 lol, i quoted a car valet the other day at my normal rate, old guy on phone says ok erm ill ring you back. 10 mins later gets a text saying "bit bloody expensive that lad", cheeky old git lol quite amusing

Back