Utterly Gutterly

How far for work?

Utterly Gutterly

Not sure where I should have started this thread but as gutter cleaning is my main work I thought I'd start here!

I did a job today which was an 80 mile round trip for a 6 hour job. Tomorrow and Friday I'll be doing 65 miles per day.

Most weeks I do a 50+ mile round trip 3 or 4 times a week and I'm local only once or twice a week if I'm lucky.

Admittedly, I live in the country but is anyone else doing high miles to get work?

Alien Human

The commute from Pluto racks up the miles but I've got save 20p per mile on tesco club card which helps

peter rogers

u must be chargin right and i take it u wouldn do a 40 mile trip each way to do a 3 bed semi gutters ?

Jake

That's insane!

All my work is local (8 mile radius max)

But then I'm a window cleaner so that's the norm for us...

Can't imagine driving that far to clean some gutters? You must have to charge a fortune?

Utterly Gutterly

I live just over 20 miles from the outskirts of a small (poor) city and just under 20 miles from a couple of medium towns. I try to book jobs so that if they are small I can do 2 or 3 in a day so the travel cost is offset. Otherwise, a single job has to be over £100 to make it worthwhile.

Guest boarcity

i travel 25 miles one way for a lot of my work

Dave B

:DI travel 2.5 miles sometimes

Got one of the villages tomorrow so got to do 6 miles

peter rogers

15 miles here

if its a powerwash jb or any job over 200 il go 50

Smurf

I also do mainly exterior house cleaning including gutter clearance, pressure washing etc. I will travel anywhere if the price is right including travel time, fuel etc is covered. However I mainly work local within a 10 mile radius as there is plenty of work to be had locally so I don't need to travel miles.

Maybe you should focus on marketing in your own local area more instead of having to travel miles for work.

Rascal

I travel up to 30 miles one way for some jobs. For me it's more about how long it takes to get there. I can travel 10 miles in one direction and it can take over an hour in the mornings. Go the other way on a fast road and I can do 30 miles in 30 mins......

Utterly Gutterly

Hi Smurf. I live in the sticks so there is not enough work locally to earn a living. I'd probably be better off moving closer to the city!

I also do mainly exterior house cleaning including gutter clearance, pressure washing etc. I will travel anywhere if the price is right including travel time, fuel etc is covered. However I mainly work local within a 10 mile radius as there is plenty of work to be had locally so I don't need to travel miles.

Maybe you should focus on marketing in your own local area more instead of having to travel miles for work.

DMD

my vans cover around 60 miles a day, not full on window cleaning but builders cleans/show home cleans.

Really need to get some window cleaning rounds sorted to save me some bloody fuel!

fuel bill per month for the vans is approx £260. I also take over £400 a month in fuel expenses. costly!

Diwrnach

10 mile radius for windows, 15 radius for pressure washing, but will travel more if the price/job is right.

Smurf

I take it you use discount fuel cards then?

my vans cover around 60 miles a day, not full on window cleaning but builders cleans/show home cleans.

Really need to get some window cleaning rounds sorted to save me some bloody fuel!

fuel bill per month for the vans is approx £260. I also take over £400 a month in fuel expenses. costly!

DMD
I take it you use discount fuel cards then?

We have 3 fuel cards, the only problem with them can be that the companies decide when the fuel is a certain price. Thankfully i've got no minimum spend and if the fuel is more expensive than on the forecourt then i just get them to put it on the company credit card until the end of the month.