Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using ladders correctly?

id be more worried about those rubber feet. cant recall which forum member it was but he had a set o those feet came on a new ladder and they slid out on him. false security

I usually have a couple rounds of the ladder above the handrail when going over a balcony. By the looks of it the ladder will be left unattended when you clean on the balcony, I'd be inclined to tie the head of the ladder in case a gust of wind brings it down onto the customers car or worse still the customer. Can't tell the angle of pitch in pics 2 & 3, I would never climb a shallow pitch unless it was well footed.

Personally I go for picture one, I would add ladder mitts as they will grip the railing better than just bare metal.
I agree with pic 1 but the ankalad would be out to guarantee i don't slip

Fair comment daveyboy but it needs to be remembered that not all newbies have £150 spare for ladder accessories.

I think sometimes us more established and seasoned chaps forget that some are starting out with a budget that barely covers lunch.

I perhaps would have gone on the garden in No.1, and fasten the top if you have to go over a rail. I carry a short piece of thin bungie cord with hooks at either end, and keep it clipped onto the top two rungs, very handy.

Good idea rugbywolf

I know we don't all have a big budget Green but i think ladder safety is the priority when buying stuff to start out

Even if you have 1 squeegee an applicator and a few cloths you can work but come off the ladder and you ain't working

Fleabay is a good place to look

If i take a fall I'm not paying my mortgage or feeding my family

Picture 3 I would move it left so I could clean at least 3 windows in one climb & I would go over the window as by the picture the ladder to me looks like it could slide.

Defiantly ladder mits.

View attachment 4192

I perhaps would have gone on the garden in No.1, and fasten the top if you have to go over a rail. I carry a short piece of thin bungie cord with hooks at either end, and keep it clipped onto the top two rungs, very handy.
i recollect Wagga had one of these in a video attached to his ladder top on a short length of bungee cord. this was so he can clip it to gutter and ladder wont blow away if he leaves it / also prevents sideslip

i also recollect a vid where he had a short length of broom handle pushed into one of the top rungs. this was there easily View attachment 4193 pulled out to use as a ready at hand mini pole for hard to reach windows

Climbing over railings at height is very dodgy as you don't know if it's going to give way or you could slip and fall. Also stepping off and onto a unsecured ladder is very dodgy too. Combine the two together and is a very high risk activity to do.

You have three choices

1. Leave those windows out

2. Take a chance and go over the railings

3. Arrange to do the windows when someone will be home so to gain access through the house

I know what I would prefer to do and would be 3

Actually as a newbie I am just starting out. I'm picking up an order later for basic stuff like BOAB etc but have yet to get a ladder. I need one that will fold up to put in my car. For safety what else should I get?

Cheers

Bit over the top for window cleaning I know but just thought I would like to share /emoticons/biggrin.png

id be more worried about those rubber feet. cant recall which forum member it was but he had a set o those feet came on a new ladder and they slid out on him. false security
They are plastic safety feet think think. I got the ladder from midlands ladders think.

I usually have a couple rounds of the ladder above the handrail when going over a balcony. By the looks of it the ladder will be left unattended when you clean on the balcony, I'd be inclined to tie the head of the ladder in case a gust of wind brings it down onto the customers car or worse still the customer. Can't tell the angle of pitch in pics 2 & 3, I would never climb a shallow pitch unless it was well footed.
So put a bungee around the ladder and top of balcony handrail? And push the ladder three rungs above top of rail?

Someone wrote that the rail might give way! I agree the bolts which attach it to the balcony are weak. The thing is if the ladder was leaning against the rail if it gave way it would do it as I was climbing up. Once I am onto the balcony I don't pull the hand rail in the direction of the ground I try to push down and towards balcony so if it goes it will go in that direction.

Back