james44

Easy build handy portable backpack for around £30

james44

Pump £16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-100PSI-4L-Min-High-Pressure-Diaphragm-Water-Pump-FOR-RV-CARAVAN-BOAT-/380673837935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58a1edcb6f

Battery £10

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-VOLT-7AH-BURGLAR-ALARM-BATTERY-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERY-12V-7AH-/221141097735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item337d095d07

water barrel £4

This would also be handy for those guys who want to apply chemical solutions! you can build two for £60 one for chemicals the other for wfp

5915ca38998b9_hotbarrel.jpg.9e9e7da1602452e8fe14f580335ed606.jpg

Tuffers

The inlet to the pump is half way up the barrel and where do you put the battery?

I guess there's a tube from the inlet to the bottom of the barrel?

james44
The inlet to the pump is half way up the barrel and where do you put the battery?

I guess there's a tube from the inlet to the bottom of the barrel?

Tuffers the inlet tube is weight to the bottom of the barrel, the battery is on the other side to balance the weight

Smurf

The pic that you have posted is a maufactured one so I'm sure it dont leak.

Have you tried to build one yourself and if so how did you get on?

james44
The pic that you have posted is a maufactured one so I'm sure it dont leak.

Have you tried to build one yourself and if so how did you get on?

Yes smurf that is a manufactured pic! just to show how easy and cheap it is to make! i have a small 10 ltr one for applying chemicals/weed killer/ fence spraying etc: no leaks works very well

DanielT

I think it looks like a great idea. I have a Gardiner's backpack which I use for chemicals, but would prefer this. Think I might dismantle the backpack for parts!

Smurf

That seems an odd thing to do unless the tank is split or something as that diy jobby you still need a battery so would be less hassle with a backpack you have surely?

I think it looks like a great idea. I have a Gardiner's backpack which I use for chemicals, but would prefer this. Think I might dismantle the backpack for parts!

DanielT
That seems an odd thing to do unless the tank is split or something as that diy jobby you still need a battery so would be less hassle with a backpack you have surely?

I just find it a bit bulky. Its 19 litres and the screw hose outlet has been known to leak. I prefer the push-fit option

jimmyboots

I wouldn't like to drill and screw into a container to fit the pump. I think in time the weight of the pump will cause a leak where it is screwed in.

Although I have since changed this because I rarely use it, this way you can just strap to a different barrel when empty.

http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/homemade-alternative-to-backpack.11995/

Smurf

That reminds me I have a few containers in the garden that need throwing out I got with my pf trolley yonks ago as the plastic goes brittle after a time too. Frank went to move them with pure still in them and the handles snapped off then shattered on the floor :D

Smurf

Here is a pic just to show you what Frank did.... Frank strikes again :D

tn-IMG_0366.JPG.9543cab39c27577bab0c18f3d877d0dc.JPG

So I don't think it's a very good idea having a pump bolted to a container do you? :laugh:

doug atkinson

Would only last 2 and a bit hours production. Pump says from London but in fact many many miles away , Hong Kong.

james44
I wouldn't like to drill and screw into a container to fit the pump. I think in time the weight of the pump will cause a leak where it is screwed in.

Although I have since changed this because I rarely use it, this way you can just strap to a different barrel when empty.

http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/homemade-alternative-to-backpack.11995/

jimmyboots you don`t screw into the container you use these rubber grommets and screw into them:)5915ca38bc1fb_rubbergormmet.jpg.f3b89df05226b25e9501b1b7fff49f4c.jpg

james44
Would only last 2 and a bit hours production. Pump says from London but in fact many many miles away , Hong Kong.

Doug i have a few of those pumps as spares and only use them now and again when applying chemicals etc: few guys are using them for backpacks as well with no problems!

jimmyboots
jimmyboots you don`t screw into the container you use these rubber grommets and screw into them:)[ATTACH=full]6388[/ATTACH]

Ahhh, I see @james44 .. Still think its better to have the pump in a box though with on/off switch so it won't get wet in our lovely British weather :D Do you not think?

james44
Here is a pic just to show you what Frank did.... Frank strikes again :D

[ATTACH=full]6384[/ATTACH]

So I don't think it's a very good idea having a pump bolted to a container do you? :laugh:

Smurf that`s what happens when you leave them outside in all weathers happened to me :laugh:

Smurf

I wonder if it's going to happen to me 1000 litre ibc's as they are left in the garden in all weathers too.:rolleyes:

Smurf that`s what happens when you leave them outside in all weathers happened to me :laugh:

Smurf

Same thing happened to my plastic filter spanner last week. I went to change a filter on the ro/di system and it snapped in half :D