Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How would you approach cleaning these...

Trev81

So a local large landscape mangement firm have aired some interest in having me clean there large greenhouses (lots of them) I have been down and taken a few photos and are currently unsure of how I could safely accsess most parts of the roofs to clean them down, the last guy jet washed them I'm told and I think he must of walked on the metal gutters down each roof section to gain acsess to clean but I'm told they have clamped down on health and saftey somewhat and thats now no longer a option. Cost wise I'm not at that stage yet but plenty of days required to do it! They also have loads of stuffed fully gutters that need clearing but there straight forward enough I hope!

View attachment 4206

View attachment 4205

View attachment 4207

View attachment 4204

I always wondered myself how people clean those types of roofs and now I know…

Also can't imagine they would want to pay for a picker to do it as safely as possible (subject to access) but that is the only viable option really

That was strange, I replied on my phone and a old profile I had which I never used replied to the thread!

Anyway yes thats the approach I thought about using subject to them costing that in, will have to speak to them again and see what they want to do, all i know so far is the "jet wash" guy/s did them around 3 years ago and they payed around the £10k mark, no idea how long it took them! But seems there not shy in paying good money out to have them cleaned!

Day rate X number of day + cost of cherry picker + fortnight vacation for the family + new carbon pole of your choice = £££

£10k 3 years ago with a jet wash = £12 - £14K in todays money to have it done correctly as you will explain to them.

Just double check with your broker your properly covered for the site in question /emoticons/smile.png)

I forgot the consultation fee of £300 split 3 ways for Smurf, Tuffers and myself for advising you on here! :whistle:

What type of glass is it? I know some greenhouses have real thin glass in them, do you reckon you could clean it all without breaking any? How do you go about pricing something on that scale?

What type of glass is it? I know some greenhouses have real thin glass in them, do you reckon you could clean it all without breaking any? How do you go about pricing something on that scale?
It is single layer glass but looks a decent thickness, little better than standard greenhouse panels, the dirt/staining on the glass is pretty stuck on too, might go along and just try a few different methods on a few panels and see what works best subject to them giving the go ahead.

I think costing something like this would be a huge guess and could end up been a big ass loss if too cheap, I think the way I will do it is go day rate, and offer that rate for 1 full greenhouse clean which will give me a idea of duration, then contuine on that or offer the rest then at a set price (think theres about 8 like the once in the photos) How much to charge will depend on there payment terms etc!

If all goes to plan I'l sign them up for twice yearly maintenance cleans to help the plants grow faster /emoticons/biggrin.png

righty oh i know how as i have done one lol

you get a greenhouse algae remover for inside or outside

spray on wash off

then mini access tower and see the air vent s

they open up to near vertical allowing space to wash through them

but beware all commercial glass is still thin ask them who supplied it to get the spec of glass will be a holland glass company and from there u will find how much pressure can be put on glass from brushes or pressure hose /emoticons/biggrin.png

i saw some blokes doing greenhouses they were stood in a gantry box that was on wheels

I think costing something like this would be a huge guess and could end up been a big ass loss if too cheap, I think the way I will do it is go day rate, and offer that rate for 1 full greenhouse clean which will give me a idea of duration, then contuine on that or offer the rest then at a set price (think theres about 8 like the once in the photos) How much to charge will depend on there payment terms etc!
I think your going in the right direction here, tell them your day rate, tell them how long you guess just one will take and if they are happy to go ahead give or take a day you can get that done. Then if both of you are happy move forward with the rest of the green houses.

Hmm, not sure how a cherry picker would work, unless it was a big expensive telescopic job that could reach you right across the roof from the side of the house. They are expensive and you would need a licensed driver/operator.

If you can get elevated up through the open vents, that may be cheaper option. Assuming you can still clean the outside of the vent glass of course.

I hope the glass is held in better than household greenhouses. Otherwise pushing the glass pane out would be more of a problem than how thin the glass is.

Could you remove a pane here and there? From the inside? Then pop up through, stood on scaffold and get cleaning. What could possibly go wrong?

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing at all /emoticons/biggrin.png

prop_int_glass.jpg

visual inspection of steel beams they dont want you to use fix a temporary safety line along them attach yourself and away ya go :thumbsup:

hopefully:rolleyes:

Apparently he like playing with manhole covers too...As I found out today /emoticons/biggrin.png

As mentioned earlier by @Green best check with your insurance broker if you are covered if things go bad as fixing something like that green house is not going to be cheap for sure.

So a local large landscape mangement firm have aired some interest in having me clean there large greenhouses (lots of them) I have been down and taken a few photos and are currently unsure of how I could safely accsess most parts of the roofs to clean them down, the last guy jet washed them I'm told and I think he must of walked on the metal gutters down each roof section to gain acsess to clean but I'm told they have clamped down on health and saftey somewhat and thats now no longer a option. Cost wise I'm not at that stage yet but plenty of days required to do it! They also have loads of stuffed fully gutters that need clearing but there straight forward enough I hope!

View attachment 6410

View attachment 6408 View attachment 6409

View attachment 6411

Back