Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

fixing rubber

norm

found some facelift rubber i had tucked away:rolleyes: and it is not the best shape

anyone know how i can get it back to its best?

or is it doomed :eek:

Not sure norm, is it all dented and crooked like smurfs walking stick?

Maybe putting it in boiling water to soften and then lay it out flat with something to hold down the dents like books?

Or once its soft hold a ruler down the edge of it for a few minutes
yeah like Smurfs stick:laugh: sounds like a good idea Pickingpaul :thumbsup:

dont know if there is any other way to do it so i will try and see

Put it in boiling water and then just lay it out on the table

It will bounce back to shape assuming it is like normal rubber

Apparently it keeps it in good nick & soft. When I buy a job lot I always store em in talk. Might be a olds wife tale but seems to work.

I think you'd need a pretty flawlessly planed flat surface (on 3 sides simultaneously) with quite a bit of pressure, immediately after the rubber was softened up, wouldn't you?

When you get a kink in your rubber in a channel where it has been resting against something else boiling water sorts it

It encourages the rubber to return to it's original state so no pressure or anything should be needed

Why talc??
I don't know if it makes a difference to something like a squeegee blade, but talc can help preserve thin rubber. When I did a lot if diving, we would talc dry suit seals (thin latex) to stop them degrading (dozing).

It also stops rubber from sticking to itself when it ages - the tubes in pneumatic tyres have talc inside them.

Actually, it needs to be plain talc / french chalk as the scent / added ingredients in the bathroom stuff can react with the rubber in some cases.

Though my spare squeegee blades are in a plastic bag without talc. I suppose I might add French chalk just in case, if I bought loads at once.

Back