Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another first for me - can you better this price

Smurf

Recived this website quote request this morning

GUTTERING AND FASCIA AND WINDOWS. 4 BED DETACHED HOUSE. HAVE BEEN QUOTED £46 WONDERED IF YOU COULD BETTER THE QUOTE

My email reply was:

Hi *****

Thank you for your enquiry.

The answer would be no as I pride myself on a high standard of work therefore I would quote accordingly on visiting the property to see what needs doing. Also I do not need to price match nor better other quotes just so to win work as I don't have too as I work mainly from recommendations and repeat business.

£46 to check & clear the inside of the guttering & downspouts, clean the outside of the guttering, fascias & soffits including the apex at the front. Then clean the windows and doors on your 4 bed detached property quite frankly sounds silly cheap to me. Even without checking & clearing the guttering and downspouts is still very cheap.

May I ask which firm quoted you that amount and how long did they say it would take roughly?

The reply was: They didnt say how long could you visit and do a quotation for me.

I have not responded yet ...what do you think I should say ???/emoticons/biggrin.png

id have a look on google or a drive by look , then pitch in with £90 [if i was you]

personally if i had someone email price hunting id immediately reply with a terse "£120"" just to get rid

I've already taken a look on google maps and those style houses my price starts from £160

To be honest I can't be arsed to respond as the prospect was looking for a cheaper quote anyway than 46 squid so is a total time waster in my book :whistle:

Cold well be as I've not spoken to her on the phone yet:D

I replied for the craic as wanted to see if I would get a reply. Not only that you don't know if it's a setup by another cleaner in the area wanting to find out my prices in around about way as there are some sly fookers about :rolleyes:

Hi,

I would be prepared to price match on the job you have quoted. But I will also be prepared to demolish and dispose of your concrete driveway and replace with block paving (incl. materials). If there is time at the end of the job I will re tile your roof (materials at cost). Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you booked in asap, as I don't want to risk loosing the opportunity of this contract.

Regards

Thepurdtolisher

usually people phone up for a quote , they dont mention the other quotes, unless they have heard about your reputable reputation smurf and only want you to do the job.

if you go too cheap other neighbours or freinds of theres may expect it cheap.

id knock on door and quote. your price is there for them in person.

I know it has but I'm still not bothered to even give her a price.

That's the beauty of working for yourself as you can pick and choose what jobs you want to quote and/or take on or not in this case. As far as I'm concerned it is not going to happen and she can beg me all that she likes and it still is not going to happen /emoticons/biggrin.png

Your response might have got them to rethink @Smurf .......a much needed rethink to get the job done properly /emoticons/smile.png

I had a very similar thing happen to me today.

I finished clearing out the gutters on this house and the bloke next door with exactly the same house asked me for a quote, so I told him my usual price for this size of property, about £80. He said he normally gets it done for £25 and they do it in half an hour!

I told him that I'd soon be out of business if I charged so little and that if they only took half an hour they weren't clearing them properly!

Did I get the job? No, bless me!View attachment 4233

I find that I win about 2 out of 10 jobs where people email for an online quote saying it's 'a 3 bed detached' or '2 bed cottage'. They never leave a contact number so I get suspicious too.

Cold well be as I've not spoken to her on the phone yet:D
I replied for the craic as wanted to see if I would get a reply. Not only that you don't know if it's a setup by another cleaner in the area wanting to find out my prices in around about way as there are some sly fookers about :rolleyes:

A few people I quoted looked in horror, similar pricing to you gutterly. If it takes half an hour, it can't be safe, careful or thorough. If it's too cheap, they'll do one or two then have to get another income... But in the mean time have taken the job and reputation of other operators down.

I'd give a nice high price smuf, you never know, and might lead to others however unlikely.

However, I know you're not short of work, so a polite 'I'm busy, got the contract for 1000 McDonald's ...' Note would do

I usually attract the local village idiots too whilst I'm out working and most of the time they have no intention of getting any work done but just want to be nosey./emoticons/biggrin.png

I had a very similar thing happen to me today.I finished clearing out the gutters on this house and the bloke next door with exactly the same house asked me for a quote, so I told him my usual price for this size of property, about £80. He said he normally gets it done for £25 and they do it in half an hour!

I told him that I'd soon be out of business if I charged so little and that if they only took half an hour they weren't clearing them properly!

Did I get the job? No, bless me!View attachment 6443

People watch all these cowboy builders programmes that tell them "to get three quotes". But thats for when you are having large works done IMO, for window/gutter cleaning, its just wasting peoples time. So when they get a quote as cheap as that I'll be fked if I'm going to entertain it. In the past Ihave replyed with "I suggest you snap their hand off".

Could well be or the cleaner is just odd maybe - 6 squid windows 40 squid for the rest who knows :rolleyes:

Back