Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

average price for a semi detached house

WCF

Help Support WCF:

squeegeeman

80% of my jobs are semi detached with bay windows almost all are £10 and i average 3 every two hours of ladders.

I bought this round last year and am thinking of a price rise

what id like to know is what you guys charge for a semi detached home

i think £12 of ladders with frames wiped is more appropriate

what do you think?

I know they can be awkward to do but not being funny it takes you on average to do 3 x 3 bed bay fronted semis every 2 hours you're going to struggle to make much as a trad cleaner for sure unless you do very long hours. No matter how much you put your prices up by a couple of quid or more. Spending an average of 40 mins on each one on a regular monthly clean seems way to long to me.

Even me using a wfp now I could bash them out 3 an hour quite easy and I'm sure the likes of @daveyboy1 can do them by trad in less than 20 mins each too without breaking into a sweet.

Price increases is always a dificult one as you may loose one or two customers in the proccess so best test the waters first to see what reaction you get. If they have not been put up in years then maybe all good. New customers however you can charge what you like and put them onto your new pricing structure from day one.

Best of luck & Keep safe :thumbsup:

For arguments sake if all your custys were 10 quid and you put prices up by 2 quid and lost 20% of them you would be making the same money for 4 5ths of the workload so i wouldn't worry about losing a few as that spare time can be used for new jobs on the new price structure

I think my maths may be slightly off but look at it like this

100 custys x £10= £1000

80 custys x £12= £960

- £40 for 20% less customers

84 customers gives you 8 quid more than your previous 100

Now times that by a 250 customers and it starts making a big difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices have been same for 6 years according to previous window cleaner its a reasonably affluent area and i know others who charge more was worried that a £2 rise was to much in one go i clean 6 weekly which often turn to 7 weeks so im not there all the time.

Might try a pound then same next year.

how long have u been doin it

yes average semi is between 10 - 14 pounds

i wud say if u goin to stick to trad then learn to speed up

or switch to wfp 3 in 2 hours isnt gd for business

3 in 2 hours means i have had a lunch hour and done 3 the hour before lol

What is the reason for being so slow??

Too thorough maybe?

Ive been doing the round for a year now, used to work for someone else doing wfp which is a lot quicker i know. What numbers should you be hitting trad? I do frames and sills and like to do a good job

View attachment 4261 Look at the quality of this job and i was under an hour trad to clean whole house including frames and sills which i always do and all the upvc and glass on the sides of the conservatory

Reckon it took about 45 minutes for the whole lot

That was including upvc doors and the fascia and gutter part of the conservatory

Normal clean with frames and sills would be around 20 minutes for a 3 bed like that

View attachment 6481 Look at the quality of this job and i was under an hour trad to clean whole house including frames and sills which i always do and all the upvc and glass on the sides of the conservatoryReckon it took about 45 minutes for the whole lot

That was including upvc doors and the fascia and gutter part of the conservatory

Normal clean with frames and sills would be around 20 minutes for a 3 bed like that
the back there would take me 10 mins the time is the bays at the front, three ladder pitches small openers at the tops then the bottom bays often to high to reach from ground so out with a-frame maybe im just lazy

You need to speed up, a 3 bed semi should only take 15mins really... Depends on how many windows but on average we try and do 4 semis an hour... Usually there £12 but bay windows are now being quoted as £15 recently...

As you get quicker the £10 your charging won't be that bad, £30 an hour is good to aim for...

The bays i do i tend to do the high bottom ones with a pole and the side top ones if i only want to put the ladder in 1 place for the middles

On maintenance cleans i can do that and do the sills and frames with my pole

I comfortably do 3 of those 3 beds in the picture in an hour

Sometimes i don't as i don't feel the need to rush as i am earning well already

Plus having to drive to the next road etc takes time off but if they were together i would smash em out

If the prices haven't gone up in 6 years & you are continuing to do a decent job (which I am sure you are) then I personally can't see many reasons not to increase the prices.

As we all know....some semi detached are fookin massive whilst others are very small so personally i increase my prices individually instead of literally going £2 increase for everyone.

I have done this recently and only lost 1 out of 250.....and although he was a nice guy he was a late payer so wasn't too fussed.

Like what @daveyboy1 said about earning same amount in less time / less effort and being able to take time to plan.......I need to do some of that! My rounds gone a bit all over the place recently with work picking up more and more.

Don't worry about how long it takes you.....as long as you are earning what you feel is a fair amount for your work and you are doing a good job then happy days!

Exactly alien

Charge what you expect to earn from a job not what it already is priced at

Obviously people wouldn't swallow an extra fiver per job but 2 quid in 6 years is more than reasonable

Anything else the regularly pay for would have gone up over those 6 years

Speed is not everything as long as you do the job safely as you can but could you not go back to wfp doing these awkward jobs as at the end of the day would be safer to do?

Guess I need to speed up as well...

But since I am a beginner. I rather spend a bit too much time and get happy custys. Speed will come in time. I hope...=)

I've found that for me the bottleneck is that here in Sweden. Many people still have "old style" windows with internal blinds, that you have to open up and clean in between (not the blinds though). That part slows me down considerably. Especially since it is done from the inside and you have to take care not to drip and such. Often in tight quarters.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said speed isn't everything. Doing a good job is. At the worst your still on £15 an hour which is still not a bad wage. If you work 7 hours a day it's £105 a day which is £525 a week which is pretty good. Yeah you could speed up. I don't rush & would be happy to do 2 an hour but 3 every 2 hours wouldn't bother me. Doing a good job does. This is what leads to word of mouth jobs. It's up to you but do you put em up & then do em quicker because you will get quicker or do I keep them the same but speed up. My priority is doing a good job that may lead to others.

Also it's not all about speeding up. Think about where can I put the ladder (safely) where maybe I can reach more windows in one climb. Steps for the big windows instead of getting the a frame out. Mod yer squeegee to do less detailing. When its not so hot wet up more windows then squeegee. Little things like that help.

yeh I dont bother so much with speed as its just a case of doing a good job...

some jobs maybe not so good but you always have to have something at the bottom of your work load..

another factor is the weather....last week a lot slower in the heat but now faster in the cool...

and mood too....

and not just window cleaning...today fence painting....yeh...now you tell me ya cant do it fast..../emoticons/biggrin.png

Back