Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting the hump with timewasters

Dave B

Staff member
So i got a lot of new customers last month

This evening i have texted to say leave gates unlocked and got 1 not this time

1 my husband is on nights for a few weeks I'll call you when he's on days (so obviously i couldn't do it in the afternoon or while he's sleepingas he must sleep all day and have ears like an owl)

And 1 in a flat who i got from facebook a few months ago messaged me last week to ask how much to do inside as well this time..i gave her a price and no reply

She has now blocked me on facebook

Never had this much grief before but sod em all

Well that what happens when you take a lot of new work on as you are bound to get some that are messers

I suppose at least i am freeing up space for reliable customers

I do feel like replying that it is ok for you to say not this time but who's gonna feed my wife and son lol

I used to timewasters Smurf but it is not often you get 3 together like this

None at all for a few weeks and then all at once

I had a shuffle about with my round

Was doing monthly but now have juggled work about to tighten the groupings up and done a proper 5 week cycle instead of trying to do the same time each month

The plus side is instead of mega busy days and really quiet days i havve a good balanced workload now and can fit new custys in where it suits me roundwise rather than whenever i have a gap

I only have 3 jobs to do tomorrow as i am all up to date before switching to new setup so will hammer the leaaflets early in the morning and then get some good canvassing done

I don't need to entertain timewasters

Unfortunately it's part and parcel of this job as customers call the shots so to speak and can stop you cleaning for whatever reason they want it may be.

this time of year is high season for messers. they want a cheap one off clean but wont admit it - and then next year same time theyre on the lookout again

on initial enquiry a few loaded questions about the history of their windows can suss them out- price high is the answer

So i got a lot of new customers last monthThis evening i have texted to say leave gates unlocked and got 1 not this time

1 my husband is on nights for a few weeks I'll call you when he's on days (so obviously i couldn't do it in the afternoon or while he's sleepingas he must sleep all day and have ears like an owl)

And 1 in a flat who i got from facebook a few months ago messaged me last week to ask how much to do inside as well this time..i gave her a price and no reply

She has now blocked me on facebook

Never had this much grief before but sod em all
Reads like you've lost 3 there Davey. It's never good for your morale, but as one door closes another one opens mate :thumbsup:

It sucks mate. You do get some right bellends in this job. You got the spring cleaners. Just charge high regardless and you'll soon sort the chaff out. I personally don't try and get them as regular customers unless they ask first now. Some people say yes but there heart is not in it, and they're the ones that tend to fk you about. The ones that come and ask you for a regular monthly clean are the best ones, but they should still be treated with caution until they have proved themselves for a few months.

I wasn't charging much more for a first clean as i was getting a lot of quality work

Just recently i have been toying with the idea

Now it is 100% policy after making the decision tonight

If they want a good regular cleaner they will be prepared to pay for the first clean

They get on my threepenny bits.

Had one last week. I clean her sister & daughter.

Do her windows as windie ain't been for 6 months. Clean all the green **** off the seals. Lovely job. Do her daughters 3 weeks later she tells me her mums windie turned up. Not happy that she's got another windie. Turn up last week. Clean em. Then she tells me her sons gonna do em in future as he lives in next village. I smell a rat. Found out her son lives in a town 20 miles away. She's got the old window cleaner back. Just makes you angry but as smurf says it life.

best way to get over it fast is to plough on with marketing efforts of your business ,in several different ways .

most people,me included, make a big springtime effort to market the business, but then it falls by the wayside once work really gets underway. the wise guys dont let marketing fall by the wayside, little and often is the best way

best way to get over it fast is to plough on with marketing efforts of your business ,in several different ways .most people,me included, make a big springtime effort to market the business, but then it falls by the wayside once work really gets underway. the wise guys dont let marketing fall by the wayside, little and often is the best way
Wise words mate. I'm doing a little card drop at the end of every day now, did a street today. I've got 5000 cards I want gone by the end of the year,but I don't want to spend days at a time doing it, and I only want it local to the areas/streets that I already do, so little and often is the way to go for me.

I send out reminder texts and this is a reply from one of my bi-monthly custys : 'Hey 'Alien Human'. Thanks for your text but not in tomorrow. I'll get in touch in June. Many thanks!'.......JUNE!.........So your not in on let's say Wednesday or Friday this week?......No......oh we better wait till June then.

My policy is that her clean just increased by £5 and will only go back down if it keeps within the agreed time frames. Custys house custys rules........my poles & squeegee my rules /emoticons/smile.png

I send out reminder texts and this is a reply from one of my bi-monthly custys : 'Hey 'Alien Human'. Thanks for your text but not in tomorrow. I'll get in touch in June. Many thanks!'.......JUNE!.........So your not in on let's say Wednesday or Friday this week?......No......oh we better wait till June then.
My policy is that her clean just increased by £5 and will only go back down if it keeps within the agreed time frames. Custys house custys rules........my poles & squeegee my rules /emoticons/smile.png
I would just ditch her full stop. Do you really need that extra fiver that much? Do you really need that £12or whatever her house is worth? Just replace her with someone that has some respect, or she may get to June and still thin kthey are clean enough.

I have, sorry... had, a customer that would make silly excuses for me not to come because they were still clean. I let it slide as there was still ways of making it work for me. Even when I have arranged to come (need to for access issues) I would group her in with people locally to try and make it viable for me, and she would say "sorry, not today, monday would be better".........WTF, like I'm going to drive all the way to her house just for that £12. Some people don't help themselves. Shes looking for a new window cleaner now.

So i got the hump last night

Lost a £12, £13 and a 7 quid (little flat) yesterday

Just picked up 2 new jobs (next door to each other) and the road next door to a very good road i do next week

A £15 and a £20

Karma maybe??

Now i feel better

Good job mate. With all this sunny weather you'll be snagging them all over the place.

I would just ditch her full stop. Do you really need that extra fiver that much? Do you really need that £12or whatever her house is worth? Just replace her with someone that has some respect, or she may get to June and still thin kthey are clean enough.
I have, sorry... had, a customer that would make silly excuses for me not to come because they were still clean. I let it slide as there was still ways of making it work for me. Even when I have arranged to come (need to for access issues) I would group her in with people locally to try and make it viable for me, and she would say "sorry, not today, monday would be better".........WTF, like I'm going to drive all the way to her house just for that £12. Some people don't help themselves. Shes looking for a new window cleaner now.
What is the chance of that....this^ one just text today asking for a clean. Strange how they quickly value your service when the sun comes out. :rolleyes:

Back