Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resdential vs commercial

I've do resdential for years with good prices. I've tryed to go in to commercial but every one think my price is high and alway get under cut . I set my boys £30 each of work iv been working it out the same for commercial but every ones cheaper

Commercial seems to be very cut throat as there are way too many that do it for next to nothing now.

I turn up to day at a big house had me +2 other window cleaners there to quote her I said £75 to her it will take 1 1/2 hours work 2 man and she said she liked talking to me the most. But said they quoted her half the price it's madness she had 4 floors. There no way they can do that in under an hour + in the middle of no where travel time and there doing it 4 £30-£40. I take 3-4 small houses 10-12 each over that be done in half the time

I turn up to day at a big house had me +2 other window cleaners there to quote her I said £75 to her it will take 1 1/2 hours work 2 man and she said she liked talking to me the most. But said they quoted her half the price it's madness she had 4 floors. There no way they can do that in under an hour + in the middle of no where travel time and there doing it 4 £30-£40. I take 3-4 small houses 10-12 each over that be done in half the time
I would have just walked away and left the other two to fight it out. I'm not in the business of competing for work, and I wouldnt like having my time wasted like that. :thumbsdown:

residential is higher standards , you have to be up to the mark . once you get your act together and have a polished act it feels good . doing commercial is a different ball game in my experience, i cant think of any advantage ,the prices have been pared to the bone over many years

Thankfully where I am the commercial prices are still very high,

Mainly because it's all private offices etc,

But the main downside of commercial Is the long wait for payment, it can be really frustrating!

Alright jack how long do u wait for money most of time. I would be ok with waiting I don't go collecting I wait for every one to pay me so I'm used to waiting.

Alright jack how long do u wait for money most of time. I would be ok with waiting I don't go collecting I wait for every one to pay me so I'm used to waiting.
We tried to get hit with a 90 day payment term, its a joke really. its the smallest invoice they will probably need to file yet the people on the job are requiring that money to run a lifestyle

Good timing for this question as its one I've been pondering on myself........whilst stroking my chinny chin chin.......not stroking anything else........Anyway, I mainly do residential and have 10 plus commercial which lets say bring in £400 pm (because I have no fookin idea how much they do actually bring in) ......these are becoming a bit of a pain in the bum as its getting busy with residential as the sun comes out more and more. Pros of commercial is that the windows need cleaning regardless of the weather so for me is a good bread and butter to fall back on in the winter.......but I am thinking of continuing to build up & then selling my commercial round in summer of 2016. As I have now developed a solid round I am coming to the conclusion that either I focus on one or the other. I have a friend who does his (large) commercial round every weekday morning 3-7am which makes him a cool 40k per year......but mix early starts with residential in the daytime and there's a risk of getting tired and worn out.....I speak from a bit of experience as I just grabbed any opportunity that came my way in the early days. Good luck with it all :thumbsup:

I've got a mixture. Most of my commercial is seriously overpriced as I know I wait for ages for the payment they never ask questions and in my experience the commercial usually isn't about price it's about the people with insurance, nice uniforms, shiney van and friendly presentable staff. Image is everything. On the other hand I find residential like to feel a little more personal speak to you about your family and kids and some people don't like the thought of a "company" cleaning the windows. They would rather help the poor window cleaner from down the road :rofl:

and do u aim for £30 hour on commercial or more ??

I just quote high and work out what I want for the time I'm there, usually works out a lot more than £30 an hour,

As for payment, I usually have to wait 30 days, but sometimes longer, so not too bad i suppose...

That's good Iv got sign written vans good web site and my staff wear uniform. And Iv pay for top spot on yell.com only signed up a few weeks ago and got lots of work. Anyone used Google ad. An I'm top for gutter cleaning with yell. I going to buy a gutter vacum tomorrow. Anyone got or used one

We only do commercial window cleaning - Schools, hotels & offices etc

We only wait 30 days max

We only do commercial window cleaning - Schools, hotels & offices etcWe only wait 30 days max
Didn't know you were on this forum as well rhino man,

It beats clean it up by a mile

Back