Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS reading at room temperature?

utter rubbish in my eyes....its either 000 or not...its to do with electrical conductivity and dont know where temprature comes in on that..

.unless of course....you get near....absolute zero..

then it get s very strange..

wheres that sprucey hes the man who knows these things../emoticons/biggrin.png

utter rubbish in my eyes....its either 000 or not...its to do with electrical conductivity and dont know where temprature comes in on that..

Spruce will no doubt be on the 'clean it up' forum!

The tds reading of hot water will increase. The cleaners who use hot water have discovered that long time ago. But as the same water cools the tds will drop.

I have just done an experiment and I'm Gogsmacked TBH. Same water from the tap.

Current tap water temp = 15 degrees C tds = 97

Water temp raised to 30 degrees C - water tds 133

Water temp raised to 50 degrees C - water tds 186 to 197. (It wouldn't settle.)

Wow!

I will get some water off the van in a few minutes and try the same experiment.

Added later:

Temperature of water off the van = 10 degrees; water tds 0.

Same water raised to 30 degrees C = water tds 0.

Water temperature raised to 50 degrees C = water tds 1.

What does this mean? Does it mean that warmer water uses more resin to bring it to zero if you are di only? I don't know the answer to that one.

The warmest I have ever seen our tap water at is 20 degrees. The coldest has been 5 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh see I knew sprucey would know ...I stand corrected...its all to do with energy.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I suppose what is in there is ...moving about a lot more...

I will tell you about my experiment with making colloidal silver one day.../emoticons/biggrin.png well it is fun....

I was meaning a tds reading of 000 means nothing in the water so....temp cant effect it....but certainly tap water having stuff in it which would move a lot faster hot...

now your going to get me microwaving my pure to see what happens....:rolleyes:

ahh love late night science experiments...

so took some pure from my drinking supply...yep I love pure..but ..

its not pure as its my tedious creep water draw..ie the first couple of litres and it scared me as it came back at 003

and as in all scientific experiments....you have to factor in many variables...

as in ...how clean is my dishwasher clean pint pot...and also...how much dirt is entering from the atmosphere of this dump of a house all the time but..

one minute in the microwave....and....it moved from 003 to 004 ..but...then went back to 003 again....hmmm more research will have to be done....still I wanted a drink of water anyway../emoticons/biggrin.png

ahh see I knew sprucey would know ...I stand corrected...its all to do with energy.../emoticons/biggrin.png
I suppose what is in there is ...moving about a lot more...

I will tell you about my experiment with making colloidal silver one day.../emoticons/biggrin.png well it is fun....

I was meaning a tds reading of 000 means nothing in the water so....temp cant effect it....but certainly tap water having stuff in it which would move a lot faster hot...

now your going to get me microwaving my pure to see what happens....:rolleyes:
I think you are right - the particles are more agitated when they get hotter./emoticons/smile.png

You'd think that as water increased in temperature it would increase in volume, but the particles would remain the same. How would that affect electrical resistance? Does a Tds meter work like an ec truncheon?

I dunno.

dont know what an ec truncheon is wheres google...

a tds meter really just measures electrical conductivity which increases with the impurities in the water..

to my mind at 000 there is nothing in the water so it cant increase..what ever the temprature.

so my experiments will have to continue../emoticons/biggrin.png

I think I will get frank to put a positive and negative lead rated at 50volts in pure keeping them seperate and stick his finger in to see if he gets a shock.../emoticons/biggrin.png well hes shocked me a few times..

dont know what an ec truncheon is wheres google...
a tds meter really just measures electrical conductivity which increases with the impurities in the water..

to my mind at 000 there is nothing in the water so it cant increase..what ever the temprature.

so my experiments will have to continue../emoticons/biggrin.png

I think I will get frank to put a positive and negative lead rated at 50volts in pure keeping them seperate and stick his finger in to see if he gets a shock.../emoticons/biggrin.png well hes shocked me a few times..
Here's another question. Does chlorine add to the tds of water? If it does then as you are waiting for the water to reach room temperature (re Paddy's post), light is removing the chlorine.

We used to buy chlorine in granular form to treat our swimming pool ever evening in South Africa. We mixed it in a bucket of water to dissolve the granules before pouring it into the pool - that would have been a dissolved solid like salt.:confused:

As long as it cleans the glass ok to be honest I don't care :rolleyes:

I produce pure water 000ppm outside in my back garden in all temps and weather conditions apart from when it's below freezing. Then is pumped into the van tanks again reads 000 ppm. Then is pumped out to the water fed pole again at 000 ppm.

I'm rather anal regarding just using 000 ppm water so I check it a lot /emoticons/biggrin.png

As long as it cleans the glass ok to be honest I don't care :rolleyes:
I produce pure water 000ppm outside in my back garden in all temps and weather conditions apart from when it's below freezing. Then is pumped into the van tanks again reads 000 ppm. Then is pumped out to the water fed pole again at 000 ppm.

I'm rather anal regarding just using 000 ppm water so I check it a lot /emoticons/biggrin.png
May this has gone a bit far! :laugh:

I know a guy that purifys water for a living (on a commercial scale) and they have air conditioned rooms to purify the water, he has always said it needs to be very cool to get the best out of the RO membrane, which is contrary to what so many people think!

I just wish he'd sell me his pure water, but it's no where near cheap enough!

hmmmm my investigations come up with....most tds meters have built in temperature sensors and as such compensate for temperature and the base line is 25 degrees..but what isnt clear is...

do they compensate for room temperature or....the temperature of the water...

but I am with the blue man.....mines always.....000 or I panic..what ever the temp.

however...as recently learnt off mr spruce.....the room temprature constantly alters my 25 litre barrel filling times....grrrrrr

can vary from 1 hour 25 to 1 hour 50 in winter....but me likes a little flood of pure every now and then as its the only time the floor gets cleaned:rolleyes:

welll since buying the other half the new wonder steam mop ...I think its come out of the cupboard twice...

great post though for making my head hurt....

finding the end of the universe was so much easier.....

When producing water, the temperature of the room won't make any difference. The difference is the temperature of the water coming out of the tap that is going into the membranes.

In winter the tap water is colder so the r/o will work slower as the water is more dense - ice is a solid. As the water warms it becomes less dense so its easier for it to pass through the membranes. The viscosity of most fluids change with temperature.

If you warm to incoming water into your r/o in winter, the r/o will produce water faster.

So if that's true @spruce if I warm myself up I become less dense?...bit late for me now to be knowing that /emoticons/biggrin.png

Anyway the human body starts to shut down when hyperthermia sets in so it must be true after all? :rolleyes:

Back