Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Insurance cancelled

hi just thought I'd let people know of a problem I've had with my insurance today. I went with a company called dial direct and advised that I was having a wfp system put into the vehicle they said this was fine and that it would be "goods in transit" having spoken to a few other window cleaners I decided to check with my insurance if they would cover the system in a accident. I was then told this is now classed as a modification and they would be cancelling my insurance immediately and charge me a cancellation fee!!! Not happy

I would take it further with them as they said yes at first

Cancel your direct debit before they can take a fee from you

drill holes in your van its a modification . as is van stickers or alloy wheels, even a sunstrip! . youve to declare everything else you might as well declare nothing and ride around with a policy worth diddleesquat

IF i was going to fit a tank in my van id lash it down AND lash it to the bulkhead using various eyelets already in the van. then its not a modification

Last edited:
A plan all the way, mention me if you go with them as we both get £25 in m and s vouchers. /emoticons/smile.png:)/emoticons/smile.png:)/emoticons/smile.png:)

Managed to sort insurance with Alexander Swann they couldn't have been more helpful and the cost was just as cheap as the cancelled policy, I wasn't happy the other company cleft me high and dry I literally had to stop working to sort insurance not good when I was already out working

A-plan are the best insurance company I've been with [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell them nothing. They are in it for money and nothing else. They don't care who they take down in the process. Hate all insurance

So why bother with insurance if your going to not tell the truth as it will be inavlid in the event of any claim :rolleyes:

Tell them nothing. They are in it for money and nothing else. They don't care who they take down in the process. Hate all insurance

So why bother with insurance if your going to not tell the truth as it will be inavlid in the event of any claim :rolleyes:
Your wrong. They only know whats on the system. Whats on the system, stays on the system.

My first insurance was on paper and sent in the post box. Remember them days lmao. No computers to back it up, No police check, No doctors check

It's called a loss adjusted that goes to inspect the vehicle that one of their jobs is to catch people telling porkies

It's called a loss adjusted that goes to inspect the vehicle that one of their jobs is to catch people telling porkies
I'd agree with smurf no point losing your livelihood just for the sake of not telling them everything. I was only checking to see if my system would be covered in case of any accident and the advisor said I'd modified the van when it was exactly as I'd told them when I took out the insurance? At least now I'm with a better insurance company and I know my system is fully covered

I'd agree with smurf no point losing your livelihood just for the sake of not telling them everything. I was only checking to see if my system would be covered in case of any accident and the advisor said I'd modified the van when it was exactly as I'd told them when I took out the insurance? At least now I'm with a better insurance company and I know my system is fully covered
I have my van insured, currently with A Plan. Over the years I have used several brokers but my van has always ended up being insured with Ageas Insurance.

They don't cover the tank or equipment as part of the insurance package. If I want the contents insured I have to take out a separate tools cover insurance policy.

There was a little bit in the small print that even with this policy tools left in an unlocked or unsecured van will not be covered. Whilst we lock the van at all times, the rear doors are usually unlocked (although closed) so we can get in and out without having to unlock and lock every time. With 2 of us working in different places, completely locking the van is totally impractical.

for some vans you can set the locks to dead lock- ie everytime you shut a door it locks. folk who have them set that way usually keep a spare key tucked up below a bumper in a small key box . in case they get locked out

a simple way to dead lock van rear doors is to attach a weak pull spring to the arm of the locking mechanism

for some vans you can set the locks to dead lock- ie everytime you shut a door it locks. folk who have them set that way usually keep a spare key tucked up below a bumper in a small key box . in case they get locked out
a simple way to dead lock van rear doors is to attach a weak pull spring to the arm of the locking mechanism

Made my laugh. Many years ago most tail light lenses were secured with screws from the outside. Anyway this chap decided that the best place for a spare key was taped up into the lense. When the brake lights came on there was a perfect outline of a key./emoticons/smile.png

@Smurf - that's been thought of but my son will loose it.Not quite as bad as Frank, but has zero interest at the moment. He's suffering from depression - which I don't understand.

I guess we could order another key that will unlock the door locks but not program the transponder to the ignition. That way if someone did find a key, they couldn't drive the van away.

Anyhow, the way we are working seems to be OK and we haven't had an issue at all in the 12 years we have been window cleaning. TBH we are very fortunate to be living in a really nice place. We would definitely lock the van completely if we were working 10 miles away in Middlesbrough.

I also suffer from depression as is a very common illness that I've struggled with for years.

Unfortunately unless you have the illness people just don't understand what it's like for sure.

1 of my workers has it too. sometimes hes down and takes to moaning about the ex,the weather ,the job , . i have to put a stop to it ,pull him out of it .

best way is to say "hey you,moody ,dyou want to do this fookin job ?" yes or no? " "right well shut the **** up and get on with it "

Bullying springs to mind :rolleyes:

You would not speak to me like that's for sure unless you like hospital food /emoticons/biggrin.png

Back