Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upstairs flats when you don't do the downstairs one below.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beccy

What do you do about the downstairs ones that get dripped on?

I have been just giving them a wee rinse so they aren't any worse than before I dripped on them, but someone said they could always tell I'd been as I left their windows dirty.

It wasn't too bad as far as complaints go, as I ended up getting hired by her! But it got me thinking.

What do you all do? I'd feel bad for the paying customers if I cleaned then properly for nothing.

My approach now is to keep my mouth shut, be courteous, apologise & move on......if the person still says 'But what about my windows'....then repeat the above.

If the windows below are dirty then I leave them. If they are clean I will put the brush over the glass only. Depending on the wind some glass will not get wet. I won't clean those.

If the windows below are dirty then I leave them. If they are clean I will put the brush over the glass only. Depending on the wind some glass will not get wet. I won't clean those.
I have an upstairs maisonette and I go over just the glass on the one below where it's dripped. Nice of the fella to give me a bottle of whisky at Xmas for going over his windows for free...not. It does peeve me that upstairs pays for hers to be cleaned and because I drip water onto his, he don't pay and has never offered. I think I might start leaving the below one and see what he says.

great post beccy not a clue as I dont have any like that but nice to hear your still going strong...no doubt with your little helper.../emoticons/biggrin.png

surely if you just rinsed it off before it drys the result would be the same as before...

as the guys have said if the windows are clean quickly jusy go over them its only minutes

one old dear kicked of with me when i left hers looking **** so to save hassle just gave them quick clean

I'd say so what happens when it rains, it's no difference

But the occupants of the downstairs flat will not see it that way. If you are cleaning the flat above then you are depositing the dirt on their windows.

By cleaning the downstairs windows I'm actually helping my customer as I'm keeping their neighbours happy. I also didn't mention that an upstairs flat will be a couple of pounds more expensive than what I would normally charge for that job. If I get the downstairs flat, then that little extra goes into the mental kitty for the flat that I clean for free.

I have about 12 upstairs flats on the round and I clean the bottoms of 2 of them for free. So the extra balances itself out in the end.

I don't clean any upstairs flats for this reason now.
Too many houses to clean without messing with upstairs flats.
Same,

Although when I did, I used to do it trad to solve the problem!

only ever had 1 downstairs that moaned so i used to nip round with a fishscale cloth & give them a quick rub over, then she ended up taking my customer to court for harrassment & said i'd trodden all over her plants cos my customer had asked me too !!! lmao it was all **** but my customer got found guilty n bound over so now i use twice as much water on her windows & try n make the downstairs ones as messy as poss lol

i just wear bucket on belt and when done run applicator over wet part of window and squeeze it off keeps them happy takes seconds to do

I just leave them. Why should the downstairs one get them free. Not had any complaints yet but if they don't have em cleaned there gonna be stinking anyway so a few drops of water ain't gonna do any harm.

same Posh its no different if it rains!!

Simon that's mental about your customer being taken to court I bet they don't talk to each other..

only ever had 1 downstairs that moaned so i used to nip round with a fishscale cloth & give them a quick rub over, then she ended up taking my customer to court for harrassment & said i'd trodden all over her plants cos my customer had asked me too !!! lmao it was all **** but my customer got found guilty n bound over so now i use twice as much water on her windows & try n make the downstairs ones as messy as poss lol
Nightmare!

That's exactly why I just keep my head down, do what I am being paid for and literally don't talk to either my customer or ground floor tenant as I don't want to get involved in 'neighbour politics '

if there dirty on ground flore i say well the fil;fy any way if there not in ill crack on an hope im long gone b 4 they come home lol some r ok some arnt its allways a gamble most say can u start cleaning mine as well so u end up with the flat below any way, i had a lass come out once an ave a go she said i clean my own an they have bin done yesterday so i went over them quick but if she ant in ill leave them what she dont no wont hurt thats my moto :hehehe: to top it off once when she wrnt in i knocked her cat statu an broke the ear off it was a concreat type i just stood it bk up an walked away:ninja::hiding:

You need to get yourself in there and price up the whole block its a win win situation [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Hi there, do you have a moment to have a chat about our lord and saviour Jesus Christ" usually gets rid of moaning people.

Ask the ground floor flat first explaining you have been asked to clean first-floor flat windows and would they like theirs

cleaned.

If yes bonus. If not explain you will be doing theirs too and if they complain or are going to be awkward don't do either.

If not a paying customer but are OK with you doing theirs then put 50% on the price of the flat you have been asked to clean and that will cover a bit of time for ground floor flat.

If they are not happy then do neither.

Back