Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How hard is your water? Mines 480ppm!

Jake

Wondered who's got the hardest water (water not the other thing)

At 480ppm I think I've got it very bad here in Essex!

You?

I don't window clean fulltime so I just have a basic 100gpd unit with a larger resin vessel.

081 here in sunny (or not) Wales
I love Wales, spent weeks/months cruising about on the motorbike, love Tintern awesome vineyard there does the most amazing mead (or did, dunno now?)

But it does seem to rain, a lot, which coming from someone from England is saying a lot /emoticons/tongue.png

After one trip the wife and me to this day have a saying, "a welsh mile" after spotting a sign once that said this old mine you could go round which I forget the name of was 1 1/2 miles down this little lane, about 8 miles later we got to it.

Perhaps they meant 1 mile 'as the crow flies' /emoticons/tongue.png

I'm only just over the border here, but on one of the main routes into Wales, so get a lot of holiday traffic & bikes coming through. Crazy how busy it gets here some bank holidays

Funny enough I checked the water before it went into the di vessel only yesterday and it was 067 when I got the 40/40 ro a year ago it it 025.I need to change the ro soon or Ill have to change the resin every other week.

Funny enough I checked the water before it went into the di vessel only yesterday and it was 067 when I got the 40/40 ro a year ago it it 025.I need to change the ro soon or Ill have to change the resin every other week.
Get a water softener mate, it'll help for sure

How much of a difference would a water softener make? Would it help bring down the TDS to prolong the life of the RO and resin.

Been looking into it but not sure of results, do you use a softener yourself?

Cheers

How much of a difference would a water softener make? Would it help bring down the TDS to prolong the life of the RO and resin.Been looking into it but not sure of results, do you use a softener yourself?

Cheers
The softener won't bring down tds, but it will exchange calcium etc into salt which the RO is way better at stripping the water of,

It'll make your RO work more efficiently and should make it last much longer, the RO will probably make the tds a bit lower as well, as it's now not having to deal with calcium and all the other minerals that clog it up!

Ok I see what you mean, I will check a few sites for water softeners. My end product TDS after filter & membrane is approx 026 where as with my old 300gpd RO it was 013 but I can produce pure water 5x faster now with the HF5 but I'd like to bring it down as low as possible as at 026 will go through my resin twice as fast.

I am low pressure but will be getting a pressure gauge sent out today so I can see exactly what psi I'm at and then I can play about with things a bit like, softener etc

Ok I see what you mean, I will check a few sites for water softeners. My end product TDS after filter & membrane is approx 026 where as with my old 300gpd RO it was 013 but I can produce pure water 5x faster now with the HF5 but I'd like to bring it down as low as possible as at 026 will go through my resin twice as fast.I am low pressure but will be getting a pressure gauge sent out today so I can see exactly what psi I'm at and then I can play about with things a bit like, softener etc

Sounds like a good idea, maybe a get a booster pump if your pressure is low, that's what I'm thinking of doing, my pressure is terrible here!

Let us know how you get on...

145 from the tap and 009 after 20" RO prior to resin. Still running it with the filter it came with (second hand) just over 2 months and about 16'000 liters ago.

Will be fitting up with all new filters and resin by the end of this month so will then be able to have a seriously accurate study of the longevity and actual running costs of the system.

Latest Posts

Back