Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Crack on

Smurf

When ppl say they just crack on in bad weather I don't really belive them as strong high winds & rain has put paid to me working outside today.

How about you?

I have rung customers before now and asked how is the weather, they say 'Not bad at all. It will be fine.'

You drive to the job and its raining sideways and wheelie bins are flying through the air. I always look at the forecast if I get a weather warning and make a judgment from that.

Second day at home due to high winds and rain.

Short day for me, 2 jobs and I'm done, wind was too strong and rain showers keep rolling in...

I'm not so bothered about working in drizzle or getting caught in a short down pour but it's prolong rain & high gusting winds that really throws the spanner in the works for me.

The type of jobs I do it starts getting dangerous to try working safely at roofline height by ladders or waving a wfp or gutter vac pole about.

It's also not so cleaver to try pressure washing drives etc in gusting winds as overspray can travel long distances blowing **** onto passersby, passing vehicles, parked cars and surrounding property. Drainage can also be a big issue if the ground is saturated too like grass, borders etc as the runoff water has nowhere to go.

Well call me a liar then Smurf! I always crack on regardless usually. Rain alone = no issue. Wind alone = no issue (i don't do any real high stuff, just typical semis so pole is quite controllable with a little practice) When you got rain and wind together and in an angry mood then you cant simply crack on as you will be miserable, nothing will go right for you and you will simply get complaints from customers. In silly weather I sit do sit home and study the diary and make a plan to reschedule due jobs.

Being behind on my workload for me is torture, I actually lose sleep over it so I would rather be on time and get them outa the way.

I think you have to take every job as it comes on the day. Meaning do a risk assessment if at the job if you start or continue with the job or not if you feel it's too risky to do. I've been caught out on a number of jobs and had a few near misses just trying to get the job done.

One for instance yesterday I could not complete as needed to put me ladder up to clear the left hand side downspout as the guttervac could not clear the blockedge. The winds were really getting too strong to use a guttervac safely let alone put a ladder up there.

View attachment 4346

Crack on my **** :D

If you need the money, you'll work regardless.

I guess if I had a healthier bank balance, I might not be so resolute.

Who wants to get wet and miserable???

Sounds like you put yourself under too much pressure @Green?

For me this work should be the antidote to stress, not the cause.

Rain's easing........

No one should put their life on the line and/or endanger the lives of other co-workers just so to earn a few bob surley as that's just crazy talk no matter how hard up they are?

The expression "Crack on" is just bravado bull if you ask me or down right stupidity when it comes to H&S matters. :rolleyes:

If you need the money, you'll work regardless.I guess if I had a healthier bank balance, I might not be so resolute.

Who wants to get wet and miserable???

Sounds like you put yourself under too much pressure @Green?

For me this work should be the antidote to stress, not the cause.

Rain's easing........

No one should put their life on the line and/or endanger the lives of other co-workers just so to earn a few bob surley as that's just crazy talk no matter how hard up they are?
The expression "Crack on" is just bravado bull if you ask me or down right stupidity when it comes to H&S matters. :rolleyes:
I didn't think it was worth mentioning not working if it was unsafe, as that is just completely stupid. I worry about getting a van system incase someone trips over a hose.

Use a brite yellow micro or minibore wfp hose on a reel, learn house managment and put signs out warning of a trip hazard so to cover yer **** should someone decide try making a claim. Then try not to trip over it yourself whilst working or do a frank by not looking around when moving yer feet then falling in a pond, down steps, over plant pots etc and you will be just fine. /emoticons/biggrin.png

Yep that's more or less what I did but with water instead as was pressure washing at the time:D

Got 17 done today. I had to wait an hour in the van to get the last one out the way. High winds, but it didn't start raining until 3pm here. Up to date so far this week and the next few days are forecast cloudy, so should get another week under me belt.

Done two days solid

No ones complained

Even sampled home made muffins at last job

Health and safety ? I actually just balanced on a rocking horse to clean a window today- that's a first in 20 years

Back