Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

sick of customers ripping me off

A

abs

Is there any solution to this that anyone has found ? A few owe me now and I'm getting very peed of and angry with getting the run around ,in the past I've just let it slip and forgot about it but now I don't won't to allow this to happen anymore .

Are they companies that buy small debts or any letters worded the right way to make folk pay ? Small claims court is useless and I don't want to go down that road .

A slither of bamboo in their key hole works well.

Know what you mean abs, I did 2 new ones last week, both said they would pay by BACS and neither has paid yet. I will have to pay them a visit and explain a few things.

EDITED 'NOT' to 'KNOW'

Last edited by a moderator:
A slither of bamboo in their key hole works well.
Not what you mean abs, I did 2 new ones last week, both said they would pay by BACS and neither has paid yet. I will have to pay them a visit and explain a few things.
What has really peed me off is I had a new customer ring me and I arranged with her to clean hers and her neighbours she agreed 4 weekly to both her and her neighbour and she payed for both ,4 months later they both ow £21.00 each the lady that rang won't answer the door the phone or any fb messages the neighbour rand me saying she never spoke never agreed so she won't be paying me , I'm a good bloke but dam in near pysical violence with some of these clowns

I used to get the, 'Oh got no cash on me, pop back next week, year, month, decade' excuse all the time.

Got the Paypal card reader, £69 direct from paypal, works through your mobile and bluetooth.

So now I just say. 'No problems bang it on your card' 99.9% of the time it works a treat. For the fookers that are still dicking you about you are better off to just let it go as the continual cost of fuel and time is more than the cash you will recoup once paid.

I'm sure a google search will find you a company that will buy small debts off you and try to collect but unless you have a signed agreement when the debt collector turns up here he will get told to f*&k off and see me in court.

No contract, no payment, no court in the land will make you pay without your signature.

I once spoke to a lawyer to pick his brains for 5 mins on the phone about contracts. He sent me a carbon copy of something he had downloaded off the internet, as well as an agreement to pay for his service at £300 for the hour.

I never signed or returned the document, he continually sent me a bill every months for about 8 months, I continually ignored him. I had not asked him to draft a contract or to represent me.

Finally I get the threatening one, PAY NOW OR IT'S COURT!

Show me my signature on a piece of paper stating that I have retained your service and I will pay you your money, otherwise take me to court, and I will counter with a claim of £300 for loss of earnings whilst messing about with you and also compensation at the judges discretion for traumatic stress caused by your continual harassment.

Funny, haven't heard from my lawyer in a few months.

One tactic I did use once, and this only works if they have a drive way.

I blocked their drive way first thing, popped my bonnet up and called a mate of mine who is a mechanic with recovery truck. (only called him for a gossip)

Customer couldn't get car off drive to take kids to school or go to work, I explained it was unfortunate, I had run out of fuel and I contacted the tow company but it would be about 3 hours whilst they dealt with a previous caller, However if I had remembered my wallet and had £20 I would just walk two streets over to the petrol station and get my van on the move.

She whipped out a £20, I closed the bonnet, apologized again for the inconvenience, and drove off, she looked mortified when she realized that I had not yet walked to the fuel station.

Two months later she called up to ask why her windows hadn't been cleaned. !! The Foooking nerve!

One tactic I did use once, and this only works if they have a drive way.
I blocked their drive way first thing, popped my bonnet up and called a mate of mine who is a mechanic with recovery truck. (only called him for a gossip)

Customer couldn't get car off drive to take kids to school or go to work, I explained it was unfortunate, I had run out of fuel and I contacted the tow company but it would be about 3 hours whilst they dealt with a previous caller, However if I had remembered my wallet and had £20 I would just walk two streets over to the petrol station and get my van on the move.

She whipped out a £20, I closed the bonnet, apologized again for the inconvenience, and drove off, she looked mortified when she realized that I had not yet walked to the fuel station.

Two months later she called up to ask why her windows hadn't been cleaned. !! The Foooking nerve!
The bloody nerve lol surprised she did t ask for her £20 note back

Do you put reminder notes in the letter box when you return to collect?

They work a treat for me, you can word it how you want but something along the lines of your windows have been cleaned pay up you can use the following options to pay etc mine are written on bright green a6 flyers from vista print and in large white lettering on the front "REMINDER"

Think it gets the point across.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a website mentioned on here before

Maybe someone else can remember it

This is actually the law:

If someone owes you money for services you have performed you are legally entitled to charge them interes set by you for every day they do not pay

The website was for a legal company who for £2 would write to them stating your interest is being added on and they should pay before it cost too much and they go to court

All totally legal and might get them to pay

if uve been a windie for a while you can sense a wrong un . best tip i can give is dont carry on cleaning if they are slow payers ,instead get doorknocking and forget them .

iv done the bamboo slither several times too,with good results. feels great when u next pass by and see a boarded up window .

I only clean once & that's it. Been taken for a fool a few time over 3 or 4 cleans owing. No more tho. I clean don't pay that's it.

What's the bamboo trick. I'm intreaged

Get caught sticking bamboo in their locks and don't look surprised when you get a bill for hundreds lock smith call outs.

As boars, if you been at this more than 5 minutes, you know whom the wan£ers are going to be. Now days i turn out on a job for a first call and take five minutes to chat to the customer and just based on feeling you know when it's going to be smooth and when not. It would not be the first time I have said 'Sorry, not the job for me but good luck' and walked off.

Rather do that than deal with the agro.

Get caught sticking bamboo in their locks and don't look surprised when you get a bill for hundreds lock smith call outs.
how would you get caught, cctv? iv found the best way to do it is have a few preprepared slivers , riding in the van lodged in the fresh air vent grilles on the fascia. theyre about the size of a match. actually a match would likely do exactly the same job. i spose its possible that once the sliver has been extracted from the lock it could be tested for my DNA ,id think thats unlikely

if you dip the match in dog plop first DNA test proves an alsation of german descent had done it.

Last edited:
Back