Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best type of broom for brushing in kiln sand?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jake

Hi guys,

What's best? I see you can get these huge 36inch soft brooms, are they any good? My theory iis surely it's better to have a bigger brush for maximum coverage?

Also is it best to use soft brushes, or those hard coarse bristle ones?

Funny you should ask this Jake, as I spent a lot of time and money experimenting with brooms last year...

"Why"? you ask.

...well I have always used a small cheapo broom like this from tesco;

sabco-medium-duty-broom.jpg

...but it dawned on me after a big floor sanding job; The broom just about the only tool out of my van that I use every single day. Often 2 or 3 times a day. So I figured there was some big savings to be made by upgrading the humble broom setup that I have.

I bought two of these;

DSC_0359.JPG

They're called 'hygiene brooms'. They are colour coded handles and heads for use inside hospitals, swimming pools etc. They are totally plastic, so no hairs, wood, or anything else that can clog with germs and dirt. They wash well, and dry quickly. And they are lighter in use, and last a lot longer then the traditional wooden style brooms you find in most shops.

I bought two 24inch wide headed brooms, and one 12inch. My van has 3 doors so I've got it so that I can pull a broom out of whichever door I open. I also colour coded them so I have a green one for outdoor dirty work, and two yellow ones for inside peoples homes.

For kiln dryed sand the one I have is perfect as the front bristles are stiff, and the back ones are soft, so its the best of both worlds, but if you can find one like that then go for a stiff brush.

Since buying them, they have saved me a tonne of time on just about every job I have done since.

I would also look into getting one of these too;

BM26.jpg

Ignore the crappy brushes shown, the dustpan with the roof bit is great for every job because it stops a lot of the dust from getting in the air, but for the sand job you are doing its great for controlled pouring of sand like a scoop, or for just getting rid of the excess when the cracks are filled.

Its threads like this that make me realise why I don't get laid anymore. :sad:

Cheers mate, where do I get these brooms then?
If you've got an industrial cleaning outlet near you then you can get them from there. But there are some great deals to be had from ebay, thats where I got mine from. The heads and handles are usually sold seperately, so make sure you get the matching ones as the threads vary brand to brand. And don't buy a brush just based on the pic, check the measurements too as they often put a pic of a 24inch when its a 12in they are selling.

I broke my favourite broom like that when I fell down that bloody manhole /emoticons/biggrin.png

you can see the broom i use in my avatar the widest one i could buy similar to smurfs

Latest Posts

Back