Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What sort of area do you live / work in?

jamiesmack

I live in a fairly rural area with a two main towns of about 15,000 people relatively nearby, and a few small villages dotted around. Do you think you need to live in a more densely populated area to build up a decent round?

I'm probably just over thinking everything as usual but its just the way my brain works (or doesn't :whistle:) I just want to feel confident in what I'm doing before jacking the job in ! :eek:

it defo helps to be surrounded by loadsa houses for building rounds faster..I used to have to get rid of two rounds a year when I was younger..

but now out in the sticks, two local villages around 9000 and a lot of rural jobs...slower although...got enough to keep me going..and you never know whats around the corner../emoticons/biggrin.png

and of course the green hedges and trees all help.

You need to sit down and work out how much you need to earn.

Then work out you pricing structure.

From that you can work out roughly how many regular customers you need to give you a target to aim for.

Then get out there and knock doors

The average one man band would have about 3-4oo regular monthly customers on their books. Anymore than that you will struggle to offer a regular quality service.

if theres others seriously working your area you might need to offer something different . look into this and do it from the start

To be honest @boarcity , I've only ever seen one window cleaner working in my town, and that's because he cleans my work at the minute! I know that I am probably in work most of the day so don't tend to see them, but I haven't even seen any vans driving round or anything. I have never had anyone knock my door to offer window cleaning, and neither have any of the others on my estate that I have spoken to.

They must be there somewhere /emoticons/smile.png

Bud ,around my area there are a lot of estate cars with ladders on the roof ... In one local town there is a bmw with ladders on top ......

id do an online search,thatll tell you the basics and get the going rate prices after a ring round . to be honest even if the area is being canvassed theres always someone who doesnt like the current offering -which is where u step in , keen to do a good job ,not jaded

i live near a town of just under 30,000 but loads of villages around, mines about 3,000 & you wouldn't belive how many windies there are about & we're all doing well. in my mums village theres at least 8 including me n hers is about 1500 pop lmao so i reackon your in a great place to build a round

Try to get a sign written van , I've nearly doubled my round since I got one . Used to work out of an estate with ladders on top :thumbsup: ( not a bmw) .... I think people in rural areas trust something that is recognisable .

i have a sign written van its ok BUT run of the mill folk love an old beater of a car . the classic is a mondeo estate with a sign made of curling card wedged in the side window . while you are it wear trainers with curled up toes like youv been climbin up walls .

when i was jus starting up i followed behind into my town a mondeo exactly like above i bleve his name was john , he inspired me in many ways . i never got the mondeo ended up with a citroen but i got the cardboard sign - his sort are what this business is all about

thing is , you cant buy cool. oh yes you can buy a smart van but you try buying proper cool AND looking the part, harder than you think

orange trainers / working incredibly slowly AND doing a sh/tty job but immensely proud of it .

its er not pc to tell you what my wife calls my trainers just cause they are velcro fasteners..but easy on off so I dont care./emoticons/biggrin.png

All but one of mine are rural. I've one in the local town and I hate it.

Buzzing gently round the countryside is more for me. You can charge more too.

Quality over quantity .... I've learnt that the hard way . Don't undercharge yourself ..
Spot on!

Though it takes time to be fine tune your round to the best houses & prices, but once your there, things get a lot better!

I'm just getting to the stage where I can drop the naff priced stuff and concentrate on tuning my round to Maximun profit for minimal work - guess it's called working smart...

Latest Posts

Back