Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why do folk expect freebies

Taxlossloz

If you walk into a tesco and buy some food for £50, you do not then feel entitled to grab a free Mars bar on way out

So why do customers expect you to just fit that light bulb or clean that facia - while your there - for nowt ! If they offered to pay I may even say no it's ok - but when they expect it for free - does my head in

Can you just....

Whilst your there....

You couldn't just.....

Any chance you could....

NOOOOOOO!........but for some reason I still seem to end up saying yes......stoopid people pleasing /emoticons/wink.png

This is the only line you'll ever need for canyoujusters; "Sorry I havent got time to do that today, but I can book it in soon... it shouldnt cost too much". Works a charm every time./emoticons/wink.png:thumbsup:

It's coz they think your doing it for beer money not actually trying to make a living. people see window cleaning as a lower class job and we'll do anything for some cash (that's what they think my way anyway)

Ben that's one reason why I turn up looking like a trades man, work trousers polo shirt with my number on it and day glow vest I try and look as professional as possible and I still get asked but I always say that will cost etc todo /emoticons/smile.png

the term canyoujusters from tolish is now part of the windowcleaning forums dictionary..

as is ...frank...:rofl:hes a legend..

oh and of course the term...

to smurf your price..:whistle:

oh not forgetting....

to do a runner..

I offer to do the little jobs before I'm asked. Number of Christmas trees I took away and disposed of! It's good for my reputation. And that's everything.

If someone's taking the **** they can removed from the schedule innit

asians are the best at that, quoted a full house for £10, i dont normally do it , done it once around 8 months ago, then i stopped.

phoned me up, ok £10. it pays for my diesel i thought.

while cleaning them she says can you clean my conny roof. i said yes but not too day.

she didnt look very happy. she must have thought id say OK while im here. but no, ive got wise

the term canyoujusters from tolish is now part of the windowcleaning forums dictionary..
as is ...frank...:rofl:hes a legend..

oh and of course the term...

to smurf your price..:whistle:

oh not forgetting....

to do a runner..
Yeah canujuster- love it

Another term I learned along with - custys, windys, detailing,barterers,ubik,virosol

"Ooh can you do the crest on my conservatory, it's easy to reach with your pole." Err, no it's not easy as it's a big bloody 'P' shape conny and the crest isn't reachable from the ground. I'll book it in as another job I said. She never did ask me to do it since then. Oh, and when I priced the job in the first place she said the other window cleaner used to charge her 2 extra for the conny. It's got about 20 panes of glass with small windows above the large window. I priced at quite a bit more than 2 measly quid I can tell you /emoticons/smile.png

"Ooh can you do the crest on my conservatory, it's easy to reach with your pole." Err, no it's not easy as it's a big bloody 'P' shape conny and the crest isn't reachable from the ground. I'll book it in as another job I said. She never did ask me to do it since then. Oh, and when I priced the job in the first place she said the other window cleaner used to charge her 2 extra for the conny. It's got about 20 panes of glass with small windows above the large window. I priced at quite a bit more than 2 measly quid I can tell you /emoticons/smile.png
Oh the 'he used to do'....

He used to do the washing up as well, did he? :mad:

I thought we all did it just for beer money. You make a living out of cleaning **** off windows? WOW. Just got my 6 crates of Carling.That's todays cash takings lol

Customers always want freebies. When I was a plasterer, it was worse. " cant you plaster that wall with the left over plaster"

Yes Asians are the worst. Always charge more in the first place

I was cleaning a shop front yesterday (coffee shop) old lady sitting outside having her coffee asks me:

-Do you make enough money with this to pay your bills?

My first thought was to say: '- let me tell you a secret...' and tell her how we don't work for beer money.

But instead I just replied:

-Just about.

I had 1 of the drivers have a pop at me when i was doing some driving for my mate

Busy day and i said i couldn't do this 6 days a week for 23k a year

He said well you're only a fookin window cleaner

So i said i earnt 160 quid yesterday and didn't bother getting out of bed till 9am so what's so bad about being a windy

His face was a picture

Back