Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out advice

Hayden

Good morning/afternoon

I posted here several months ago about starting window cleaning but it just wasn't the right time for me but now I'm ready and all my distractions are no longer distractions. lol

So I'm just after some advice on how too start window cleaning, I currently work 50/50 with my brother doing fencing but long story short its not for me and I want to create my own business and work for myself so I can feel that I've achieved something.. I'm very hard working and don't mind putting the hours in.

I don't want too be jobless so I plan on doing window cleaning on Sundays too start then Saturdays and if im luckily enough to be that busy I can make it my primary job and focus all my time on to it..

I already have a small vauxhall combo van with a set of youngman ladders lol

Hayden

youngmans is a good sign -the classic start. when are you starting? dont delay is my tip -maybe you are doorknocking this arvo... good on yer if this is so

you just wanted us to say welcome to the forum a second time:rofl:

hi and welcome to the forum...

you are going about it the right way...dont just jump in at the deep end start in the paddling pool and learn to swim..

it just builds itself most of the time windowcleaning as if you get that first job and because your not remotely in a rush do a great job...the word spreads..

too many focus on the money side and rush..

dont forget...make a mess and the word still spreads..

I have one on tuesday big bungalow in and out plus a block of flats plus ...the promise of maybe some offices..all because..

somebody passed on my name...

dont forget the forum moto...

KEEP US INFORMED...

me needs to hear how people are starting out to stop me being complacent and taking it all for granted....just because I am fully booked up next week and expecting more trying to get me on monday morning...

well okay...I have a cunning plan...

I WILL TRY AND CUT MY MORNING SLEEP OUT....try being the operative word..

wifey starts at six so I am awake but...before I can finish my cuppa tea...im gone for an hour...so I plan to dump the tea and go to my kick ass coffee...

but then again...maybe not..but a nine oclock start would be a nice change from er..11 ish...part timer that I am../emoticons/biggrin.png

Can only speak from my own experience but fear, uncertainty and a lack of belief & trust that all will be well......have most commonly been my barriers.

In reality there has never actually been anything preventing me from achieving any goals that I have ever had!

For me the trick is to replace those doubts and imaginary poop with a fierce determination to succeed and swap the 'ifs and buts' with 'must, will and cans'.

Good luck with whichever route you end up taking /emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
yes which is why I WILL be putting in a brand new squeegee for tuesdays new job...cant afford to swear at my squeegee..:whistle:

and as stated in a previous post...

IM always scared on a new job...always...but soon a new job becomes an old job..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've now available every Saturday and Sunday to get this kicking!

What is the best way to get customers? I'm going to design and order some business cards tonight, are leaflets worth doing?

I currently have a few bits that I ordered from a few months back (Minus the clothes)

What else would you recommend me having?

image-jpg.4831

knock them doors as our fellow brothers say believe in what your doing

we have long days at moment what a winner for graft

the work will come, dont sell yourself cheap

gd luck

Get another handle and a 14in channel and applicator, and load more scrims/cloths. Rumour has it that the liquid you have is rubbish so maybe pick up a bottle of fairy/ecover/magnum or any other commonly recommended dish soap to compare it to. Andget a bigger scraper (6in) as you will be using it a lot in the early days with all the first cleans you'll be doing, the little scrapers are a lot more likely to scratch glass. Get some more rubber too as you'll go through that quickly too with the dirty windows you'll be getting.

knock them doors as our fellow brothers say believe in what your doingwe have long days at moment what a winner for graft

the work will come, dont sell yourself cheap

gd luck
funny to see all new gear gd luck mate

Yep bigger applicator and channel lots of cloths as you will detail a lot when new to it

Get out and knock doors and when you get a new job leaflet the neighbours

Facebook is good for new work to get people aware of you

Most important is to know you will suceed and have no doubts as it affects the way you act and approach the job

Only thing that stops people succeeding is their own doubts and lack of self belief

Prepare for setbacks and keep moving regardless, you will do a bad job, you will have a shite day when everything goes wrong, you will break something, it will rain when you really dont need it to, you will lose customers for various reasons, you will get messed about for money, you will get undercut, you will get ****** off and want to give up.

But when you do that first full days graft in the sun and get paid on time (and for me personally get paid a lot more than i ever have in a day) you will be buzzin and remember why you are putting up with all this shite.

Im far form my goals but i keep going, keep plugging on facebook, if you can go canvassing thats been my stumbling block but if theres a will theres a way.

It can be a frustrating game but it can also be really rewarding, especially for your self esteem.

One other thing is to price what you want to earn and aim to be on the expensive side, dont aim to get every job you quote, i only get about 50% of my quotes which sometimes i wonder why i am doing this as i need the money but remember 300 monthly custies at £8 i the same as 200 at £12, try not to think about the right here and now if you can afford to, try to set your business up how you mean to go on in the long term, think how much you want to earn, how often you want to clean, what frequency etc suits you best

Some really good advice there thank you! I will get some more equipment ordered tonight.

The other question I have is about pure water? Is there a good guide on it? I plan on doing traditional window cleaning and if it all goes well I'll look at getting a WFP system.

So I can't just use water out of the tap can I?

You need to find out the tds of your tap water

Then if it is low enough you can just use a di tank and use straight from a tap

If it's too high then you need to speak to the wfp boys on here as they would steer you right but it would be more expensive

Went too my nans for a cup of tea this morning and noticed her dirty windows so thought It would be a perfect chance too practise.. I'm glad a I ordered the bigger applicator and channel, that will save me loads of time!

Hopefully leaflets will be here soon so I can start door knocking!

Also, I haven't got any spare rubbers, what do you recommend me buying?

cheers

Went too my nans for a cup of tea this morning and noticed her dirty windows so thought It would be a perfect chance too practise.. I'm glad a I ordered the bigger applicator and channel, that will save me loads of time!
Hopefully leaflets will be here soon so I can start door knocking!

Also, I haven't got any spare rubbers, what do you recommend me buying?

cheers
Reading through posts m8, good luck with starting up, regarding rubbers every one has own taste.

I like pulex personally.

Unger, Ettore and pulex seem to be Pretty good quality, don't go to cheap you want a good clean finish.

Reading through posts m8, good luck with starting up, regarding rubbers every one has own taste.I like pulex personally.

Unger, Ettore and pulex seem to be Pretty good quality, don't go to cheap you want a good clean finish.
Thank you! I've got a few unger ones, a couple of RazrBLADE RED Rubbers coming from WCW and a couple coming from Ionic that I ordered just now /emoticons/smile.png

Latest Posts

Back