Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

never seen before

MARTIN27

Hi guys was out doing a bit yesterday when another shinner started on the house next door I was on with only a ladder a microfibre and a spray bottle got talking to him and he uses this method all day and charging top money never seen before anyone come across it?

Never seen it myself, but window cleaning is bad enough on the joints with a squeegee let alone scrimming each and every window.

There is more than one way to clean a bit of glass you know.

That's just another take on the old school rag & buff method.

that is the problem sometimes...like that ball ache job on friday...you use the wrong method...

I do like to vary my ways of cleaning as it keeps your day from getting boring..

am even...wait for it...going back to scrim one day this week as have a rear conny with leaded windows and she er....didnt want that wfp thingy...I mean she is out but nosey neighbour is around../emoticons/biggrin.png

In truth I like to wfp everything if I can. I have one job that is still squeegee and mop, but I never take new work if it can't be wfp.

IM very tempted to just sneak my trolley up and wfp the leadeds and sneak it back in again...it may happen..so much faster.../emoticons/biggrin.png

I don't have to sneak about as they either want their windows cleaned or not.

Also I will not be dictated too how to clean them either. As long as they are left with clean windows it should not matter what method you chose surely?

I don't have to sneak about as they either want their windows cleaned or not.
Also I will not be dictated too how to clean them either. As long as they are left with clean windows it should not matter what method you chose surely?
Agreed Smurf. I always try to find out the reasons for wanting to dictate though as many of the ones I have come across are understandable and therefore relatively easy to overcome e.g they have had a naff experience with a previous windie using either method, they have just had new windows put in and the window company have advised against getting them cleaned with a certain method, just had the windows painted and think that the acid which we use in WFP or bucket will burn & disintegrate not only the frames but cause the entire fookin house to fall down.........ok, all actual conversations with my customers apart from the last one /emoticons/smile.png

Can't be doing with it when people want the windows mopping and scrimming because they think "the squeegee will scratch the windows"?

<< >>

Also, I know it's not on the subject, but some next door neighbor of a house I clean (only house on the row I don't clean, because she just hates everyone) says this wall with a 400 lb topstone is "going to come down" when I stand on it to do that bottom bay top panel...

http://i.imgur.com/NiP7cu0.jpg

I suppose the whole bay is going to fall down when I stand on the windowsil too. Some people just don't figure with reality

IM very tempted to just sneak my trolley up and wfp the leadeds and sneak it back in again...it may happen..so much faster.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Yeah that's when wfp comes into its own cheap, miles faster on the leaded windows!

Hi guys was out doing a bit yesterday when another shinner started on the house next door I was on with only a ladder a microfibre and a spray bottle got talking to him and he uses this method all day and charging top money never seen before anyone come across it?
There was one chap doing this in our town, we used to call him 'Scrimmy'. It is actually the old way of cleaning, when you had a chammy and scrim, you'd go round with just the scrim, damp. Not really very good, but that was proper 'Traditional'.

That's crazy as on a hot day be a nightmare and windows will be a mess

There was one chap doing this in our town, we used to call him 'Scrimmy'. It is actually the old way of cleaning, when you had a chammy and scrim, you'd go round with just the scrim, damp. Not really very good, but that was proper 'Traditional'.
Well you'd have a bucket of plain water, soak the chamois, then wring it out as best you could, then mop the window with the chamois, then dry scrim. It actually works pretty well, as long as you wash out the chamois and change water every so often, and change scrim every 2 hours, and as long as the windows are being done every 2 weeks. 2 up 2 down terraced house windows can actually be done quicker like this. Though it works best on wooden frames, single glaze, old style glass, dunno why?

But direct sunlight, a nightmare, obviously. Hard work though. There were some people still doing this round me not too long ago

Last edited by a moderator:
At least I can wfp even with hot/warm water now and have been know to trad with a squeege and also a shammy too. Therfore I'm what you call a proper window cleaner until a new method comes out. Oh I forgot I can steam clean them too and use a karcher window vac but draw the line at using paper and viniger as is very old hat /emoticons/biggrin.png

I know a couple of windies who clean all of their windows using just a wet cloth and dry cloth to buff.....been doing it since the early 1980s.

In warmer weather I just use two cloths on leaded windows.....one glass micro fibre cloth to mop up and one to buff...works a treat.

I have actually witnessed one of my customers using the newspaper technique on her inside windows. I was surprised to see how well they came up.

Back