Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roofs....and gutters?

Mooners

Hi All,

am fairly new to it all, though getting a fair few enquiries and pleased with progress so far.

When it comes to being asked to do conny roofs as well as conny windows on a clean, how do you tackle the subject of gutters as well. Obviously doesn't show off your work too well if you're leaving conny gutters full of rubbish and dirty as well.

Not really wanting to have to do these for free and part of the roof clean, what's the best way others tackle this issue with the customer?

thanks

Whack extra on the quote and tell them it includes cleaning out the gutters is one way to do it and bump up your pay

If customers don’t mention it always ask if they want me to clear out the conservatory guttering on the quote before giving a final price to deep clean the conservatory roof/sides. Reason being some conservatory gutters are really awkward to get at especially box conservatory gutters that are fixed to the walls of the building so needs to be priced accordingly. Not only that some you will have to gain access from next door garden and/or flat roof etc too so is all extra hassle.

Regarding cleaning the outside of the guttering on a conservatory for me that's also included in the cost of deep cleaning a roof.

Box gutters at the back of a conny can be a nightmare to price especially when it is a large one and has internal fixing brackets. This one was further complicated by the roof gutter above and a heavily mossed up valley in the far corner! Did this one using 4 carbon fibre suction poles with a 90 degree silicone elbow hose on the end which managed to get all the crud out. Silicone hoses can be good as it they are flexible and won't mark or scrape anything. I'm sure Smurf will have done much worse than this though. View attachment 4442

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an awkward one for sure and is a good example of what I was on about earlier. Nice one :thumbsup:

Box gutters at the back of a conny can be a nightmare to price especially when it is a large one and has internal fixing brackets. This one was further complicated by the roof gutter above and a heavily mossed up valley in the far corner! Did this one using 4 carbon fibre suction poles with a 90 degree silicone elbow hose on the end which managed to get all the crud out. Silicone hoses can be good as it they are flexible and won't mark or scrape anything. I'm sure Smurf will have done much worse than this though. View attachment 6704

Thanks for the help chaps, also, any recommendations for a decent brush to clean the plastic frame parts in-between the glass on the conny roof? My current brush isn't really getting in the grooves as it's a fairly soft brush

I'm considering getting a constructor brush so I can configure what bristles I want in it myself. Mind you they are not cheap and early days yet as ideally a sill/radial type brush head would be better but that has not come out yet.

In the meantime I tend to use a Gardiner stiff radial brush on a long swivel so can use it long ways on the frames if need be. However I've found on some conservatory roof cleans to be honest is not that great on cleaning out groves in plastics as can take a lot of effort to do so.

Thanks Smurf, yes that's what i've been struggling a bit with. Good idea about the swivelling of the brush so you've got more bristle coverage on the plastic. Did take a look at the video to, will be interesting to see how they take off.

Great stuff, thanks for that. While we're at it, i'm using a multi purpose ladder at the mo when needed, not great. Ok to set as a platform or small a ladder. Ideally need something that i can lean against conny with a stand off and something to reach gutters on a house if need be. Will one set do both, or better to get small set and bigger set????

I also been known to use white none scratch washing up sponges to apply chems/cream cleaners for detaling/scrubbing either by hand or attched to a pole using a spare gardiner brush socket.

Also sometimes use a spare angle adapter and attach a wicks plastic painting scraper (come in packs of 3/4) with a none scatch pad on it cable tied on

Regarding ladders I have a choice of using an easi-deck consevatory ladder or a ladder used free standing fitted with an ankalad so can be set back from leaning on the guttering etc.

Whatever you do don't use a ladder with a microlite standoff on it resting on the panels of the roof as like frank found out a few weeks ago the plastic panel can break. Oops! /emoticons/biggrin.png

That claim is currently in the hands of my insurance company to sort out as apparently they don't make that type of roof panel any more.

Anyway got to go now to do a bit so catch you later. Lets just hope my mate frank is having a day off for a change. :rolleyes:

Same here, but I also sometimes use a multi ladder as its always in the van. As long as you don't need to get up to the finial and cresting with a small brush it can work fine. However, Easideck conservatory ladder is the best and looks professional but it ain't cheap! I've added car roof bar pads to mine so as not to mark the roof. I also use the Adsa brushes! Spooky!

Regarding ladders I have a choice of using an easi-deck consevatory ladder or a ladder used free standing fitted with an ankalad so can be set back from leaning on the guttering etc.

always best to get close up and personal if at all possible to get a good result especially with the gutter on a conserv View attachment 4545 . heres my lads doin a con roof and gutters 3 days ago

Back