Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

REVERSE OSMOSIS OR DI VESSEL?

paddy

hi all, firstly a massive thanks to all you chaps on here for some brill advice and help, it's a brill forum man!

At the moment I've a DI VESSEL, no reverse osmosis .I bumped into a WFP window cleaner who's been cleaning 10 yr with wfp. I told him my tds reading was 72 ppm and he said I should have a REVERSE OSMOSIS set up! What do you chaps think?

The overall thoughts are that if your ppm is low (as yours is) then RO is the best way forward as you will essentially not have to do too much & spend too much getting that water fully purified.......

Personally, although i have a ppm of 254, i like DI as I find it easy to understand, set up and use to get water purified.......although I am not a tree hugger I am also not too keen on potentially wasting water.

But, admittedly I have never used RO so can't comment too much on that side of it all /emoticons/smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
now that is THE question really I have been thinking that myself lately. My ppm is hovering around 80-85 and have been on di only since the start in 2013 and at the beginning when I didnt have that many customers resin lasted ages but lately when I need about 1500l of pure a week it does go quite quickly (25l bag lasts maybe 4-5 weeks). If only somebody could tell me for sure BEFORE I buy an expensive RO how much will my water bill increase if I start with ro pure production as opposed to savings on resin then I might be able to make an informed choice. For the time being toying with an idea of buying second di vessel as this is cheap and having a look how that goes. Any advice appreciated guys

The overall thoughts are that if your ppm is low (as yours is) then RM is the best way forward as you will essentially not have to do too much & spend too much getting that water fully purified.......
Personally, although i have a ppm of 254, i like DI as I find it easy to understand, set up and use to get water purified.......although I am not a tree hugger I am also not too keen on potentially wasting water.

But, admittedly I have never used RO so can't comment too much on that side of it all /emoticons/smile.png
What is RM? I'm a complete newbie!

With your tds reading being so high, do you use a lot of resin? Do you use a lot of water too? Soz for all the questions, I'm just trying to find my feet in the WFP world

What is RM? I'm a complete newbie!With your tds reading being so high, do you use a lot of resin? Do you use a lot of water too? Soz for all the questions, I'm just trying to find my feet in the WFP world

Whoops......typo :RO

DI is expensive to buy although recently the price for it seem to have decreased compared to last year. 25k bag of Tulston down here costs £80 inc vat.

I don't use huge amounts of water bud. Got a big van but deliberately only have a 250l tank in as I like having lots of space, bit more easy on brakes e.g wear & tear on van and I still do quite a lot of trad on the bottoms. I have the pump on about 15-20 for most cleans and the tank easily lasts the whole day, sometimes 2.

Whoops......typo :RO
DI is expensive to buy although recently the price for it seem to have decreased compared to last year. 25k bag of Tulston down here costs £80 inc vat.

I don't use huge amounts of water bud. Got a big van but deliberately only have a 250l tank in as I like having lots of space, bit more easy on brakes e.g wear & tear on van and I still do quite a lot of trad on the bottoms. I have the pump on about 15-20 for most cleans and the tank easily lasts the whole day, sometimes 2.
Phew! I thought I had to look into RW as well , I'm confused enough lol

now that is THE question really I have been thinking that myself lately. My ppm is hovering around 80-85 and have been on di only since the start in 2013 and at the beginning when I didnt have that many customers resin lasted ages but lately when I need about 1500l of pure a week it does go quite quickly (25l bag lasts maybe 4-5 weeks). If only somebody could tell me for sure BEFORE I buy an expensive RO how much will my water bill increase if I start with ro pure production as opposed to savings on resin then I might be able to make an informed choice. For the time being toying with an idea of buying second di vessel as this is cheap and having a look how that goes. Any advice appreciated guys
Alright Rafa - at the risk of sounding daft I can't picture what windies mean about buying a 2nd di vessel?

If you mean having both vessels filling the tank at once how would that work? /emoticons/smile.png

Alright Rafa - at the risk of sounding daft I can't picture what windies mean about buying a 2nd di vessel?
If you mean having both vessels filling the tank at once how would that work? /emoticons/smile.png
I think you connect both vessels in a chain like scenario, so the water passes through both vessels then into your tank

I used to use use twin di.11 litre ones

to run a run a twin..........

use vessel one until needs to be changed (005) I change mine then, but that me or give a good shake lol

connect vessel two after. so vessel1 run into it n vessel 2,and no 2 into my tank

when vessel 2 reads 005,change the resin in vessel 1 and put after vessel 2,so ya crapper resin always first m goooood resin is after this

I got cheesed off so bought a 25 litre resin vessel n just use that,i use a bag every 4 weeks,pure freedom always deliver on time for me here /emoticons/smile.png

I use 1500 litre on a week n on silly season,soffit fascia gutters n conservatories,may to june around 2000 litre a week,not on a meter and all depends on your tap ppm.mine is around 250-275

I aint got the patience for a ro to fill or justify wasting so much water

but then again....that just me

I used to use use twin di.11 litre onesto run a run a twin..........

use vessel one until needs to be changed (005) I change mine then, but that me or give a good shake lol

connect vessel two after. so vessel1 run into it n vessel 2,and no 2 into my tank

when vessel 2 reads 005,change the resin in vessel 1 and put after vessel 2,so ya crapper resin always first m goooood resin is after this

I got cheesed off so bought a 25 litre resin vessel n just use that,i use a bag every 4 weeks,pure freedom always deliver on time for me here /emoticons/smile.png

I use 1500 litre on a week n on silly season,soffit fascia gutters n conservatories,may to june around 2000 litre a week,not on a meter and all depends on your tap ppm.mine is around 250-275

I aint got the patience for a ro to fill or justify wasting so much water

but then again....that just me
Nice one mate. So it's more about utilising all of the resin therefore saving costs ......rather than a time saving thing.

I was trying to imagine one hose somehow becoming two and going into two di vessels at the same time lol :rofl:

Double DI.......use first vessel as normal and when TDS starts to rise, you then add the second DI vessel....the original vessel becomes your pre-filter for the newer vessel.

lmoa,,,,,,,,it a trick I learnt off here a few year back when went on wfp

I did buy a ro set up,fitted it all in me van n watched the water trickle out,me being me,not known for my patience,it was down the garden sharpish,lol,oh well,if it aint broke,dont fix it,so I stick to resin big resin set up

Ive been using twin D.I, my next step is to leave them on the van and purify on demand, using some sort of splitter to bypass them that way i can use the unpurified when required, first cleans, connys, etc.

Double DI.......use first vessel as normal and when TDS starts to rise, you then add the second DI vessel....the original vessel becomes your pre-filter for the newer vessel.
Cheers Bingo

Do you then fill the original vessel with new fresh resin once the 2nd vessels TDS starts to rise and just keep changing them round on this basis?

Yes ^^ mate :thumbsup:......

As long as the outflowing PPM of the 1st vessel is lower than the incoming supply PPM, the 1st vessel will continue to act as a pre-filter for the 2nd vessel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I can see that twin di has been explained already but can anyone shed some light on the ro vs di money spending situation based on ppm of about 85? is it cheaper to keep buying resin and stay with di or invest in ro and pay more for water but have resin last a lot longer ? Anyone with similar ppm been thru this and can elaborate? Cheers

Ok so I can see that twin di has been explained already but can anyone shed some light on the ro vs di money spending situation based on ppm of about 85? is it cheaper to keep buying resin and stay with di or invest in ro and pay more for water but have resin last a lot longer ? Anyone with similar ppm been thru this and can elaborate? Cheers
Don't make the mistake of thinking only about the financial side of this. First, you want 2 x 11 Ltr Di vessels in sequence on the van & to purify on-demand- this will give you the maximum economy realistically possible. Also this means you can fill your tank at full mains pressure with just tap water having zero effect on resin economy- and top it up from anywhere too.

You might end up saving a few quid per week in the long run with a RO based on your input TDS but do you really want to have to remotely purify your water, then pump/decant this into your van tank? Bear in mind the extra time & hassle this will bring on a daily basis. Add to that the storage space you will require & the nightmare that a harsh winter could bring to this set up. Plus if you run out that's it, day over. I would have to be saving a small fortune to be tempted into a RO set up personally. My work preparations consist of this- pull up, plug hose into tank & let it fill until the float valve cuts it off, unplug hose & close van door, that's it!! My time is worth much more to be than the few quid I might eventually save by using a RO system./emoticons/wink.png

Only you can decide which is worth more to you & the level of hassle you are prepared to incur to achieve it.

Don't make the mistake of thinking only about the financial side of this. First, you want 2 x 11 Ltr Di vessels in sequence on the van & to purify on-demand- this will give you the maximum economy realistically possible. Also this means you can fill your tank at full mains pressure with just tap water having zero effect on resin economy- and top it up from anywhere too.You might end up saving a few quid per week in the long run with a RO based on your input TDS but do you really want to have to remotely purify your water, then pump/decant this into your van tank? Bear in mind the extra time & hassle this will bring on a daily basis. Add to that the storage space you will require & the nightmare that a harsh winter could bring to this set up. Plus if you run out that's it, day over. I would have to be saving a small fortune to be tempted into a RO set up personally. My work preparations consist of this- pull up, plug hose into tank & let it fill until the float valve cuts it off, unplug hose & close van door, that's it!! My time is worth much more to be than the few quid I might eventually save by using a RO system./emoticons/wink.png

Only you can decide which is worth more to you & the level of hassle you are prepared to incur to achieve it.
May I ask what your TDS reading is? Also how much do you spend on resin?

Back