Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Avoiding slow RO production

Soap

First post, crackin forum with loads of info and lots of helpful windies here /emoticons/smile.png

Done quite a bit of research already, can't find any specific info on avoiding slow RO production though.

I can't have a static tank, and don't want to leave van hooked up to tap for 2-6 hrs or longer

due to RO bottleneck.

500 L per day should do, if not replace twin 250's with twin 350's.

The Idea I had (probably already been done) was to have a twin tank van mount setup (Transit / Vivaro):

Tank 1: 250 L - labeled "Pure Water" - mounted across loadspace + flush to bulkhead.

Tank 2: 250 L - labeled "Tap Water" - mounted across loadspace + flush to pure tank.

Tap tank feeds RO - RO feeds pure tank (booster pumps or normal shureflo to feed RO?)

Waste - a 3rd tank maybe or recycle back to tap tank?

End of day - fill tap water tank - next morning pure tank is full, then refill tap tank again.

So on a 250L at 12lpm thats roughly 20 mins refill at start and end of day.

The tap tank should keep pace with the pure tank if its a 2020 or maybe 4040 RO?

I live in a soft water area (not checked TDS yet) so I may get away with DI only,

but the twin tank RO idea would still cut down on resin costs in the long run or as a retro fit later on.

Any ideas on the above, would it work, or am I way off track?

Cheers for any help /emoticons/smile.png

Hi & welcome @soap:thumbsup:
First thing you should do is buy a tds meter and test your tap water

Second one down the page HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld Meter With Carrying Case http://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm
Cheers for the welcome /emoticons/smile.png

Agree, may not even need RO, thanks for the direct link, I'll order it

now.

I'll post back when it turns up.

really check tds coming from ro i recently done experiment of running water thru ro again and man it aint good slws priduction down and tds shoots up

i have a 650 tank and i have it hooked up for aound 4 hours a night why do u not want to hook up for such a period

If your tap water is low then you don't need to use an RO at all.

Let us know what it is when you've tested it :thumbsup:

Peter, what RO do you use please (Link if you'd be so kind) and is it expensive to buy and maintain ? Im using a small RO with 2 10" filters and a 10" resin housing. Takes absolutely hours and hours and hours to fill my 1000 litre tank in the garden lol. I need to upgrade cause if I get changed to a water meter my bills will go through the fookin roof !

ro ready to go 360 inluding vat

ad 2 filter 20nich boys 1 carbon 1 sediment and throw a di on after the tank water going into my tank is 002ppm coming from di its 000pm of course /emoticons/biggrin.png

really check tds coming from ro i recently done experiment of running water thru ro again and man it aint good slws priduction down and tds shoots upi have a 650 tank and i have it hooked up for aound 4 hours a night why do u not want to hook up for such a period
Cheers that rules out recycling through RO then.

As for 4 hr hook up - I live in a terraced house on a narrow road with door opening onto pavement (no rear access either).

I'd have to leave van flush to front door with hose through SLD - not good for 4 hours /emoticons/smile.png

If your tap water is low then you don't need to use an RO at all.Let us know what it is when you've tested it :thumbsup:
Again, agreed.

I'm jumping the gun without TDS, as you say that is the logical first step.

Meter on order, will post back with results, guessing it will show up thurs / fri /emoticons/smile.png

BTW - cheers for that daqua link, like the price of their DIY soft water kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, what RO do you use please (Link if you'd be so kind) and is it expensive to buy and maintain ? Im using a small RO with 2 10" filters and a 10" resin housing. Takes absolutely hours and hours and hours to fill my 1000 litre tank in the garden lol. I need to upgrade cause if I get changed to a water meter my bills will go through the fookin roof !
Nothing wrong with doing this. Sounds like my system. Takes about 2 days to fill my 1000 litre IBC tank in the garage. I'm on a water meter and my bill has only gone up by about £6 a week. Which is nothing considering how much more work I can do now I'm wfp instead of trad /emoticons/smile.png

If you can get away with di only all you would need is a hose to you van tank and fill it full bore with tap water. Then have a twin di vessels after the pump like @SPCleaning uses.

You can get refurb 11 litre di vessels with new risers from a supplier on fleebay for about £40 each if you wanted to save a bit of cash instead of buying new.

Cheers that rules out recycling through RO then.As for 4 hr hook up - I live in a terraced house on a narrow road with door opening onto pavement (no rear access either).

I'd have to leave van flush to front door with hose through SLD - not good for 4 hours /emoticons/smile.png

Again, agreed.

I'm jumping the gun without TDS, as you say that is the logical first step.

Meter on order, will post back with results, guessing it will show up thurs / fri /emoticons/smile.png

BTW - cheers for that daqua link, like the price of their DIY soft water kits.

If you have a small r/o and you have a waste to pure ratio of 3 to 1 then you are going to use 4 liters to produce 1 liter of pure. If you have a large r/o with the same waste to pure ratio you will still use the same amount of water to produce 1 liter of pure. So your water bill will not be any different no matter what the size of the r/o is.

The difference will be the time it takes to produce that pure water.

If you can get away with di only all you would need is a hose to you van tank and fill it full bore with tap water. Then have a twin di vessels after the pump like @SPCleaning uses.
You can get refurb 11 litre di vessels with new risers from a supplier on fleebay for about £40 each if you wanted to save a bit of cash instead of buying new.
Fookin ell this place is like the windie version of MSE /emoticons/biggrin.png

Seriously though, cheers, had my eyes opened to whats really needed by

reading this forum.

Was only a week ago I was seriously considering concept 2o and even

fully wrapped van...:eek: luckily I soon realised no one but the buyer of that

gear cares - pure water is pure water.

Then thought pure freedom fitted system was best bet.

After checking that daqua link out you posted, its looking like

a full DIY system for £800 ish or even less by shopping around for individual parts like you say :cool:

Meter turned up today - my water = 69ppm, so 100ppm is max for DI,

so it looks like a DIY 400L upright soft kit from Daqua.

Quite likely to be a 2 man setup, so I would need extra shureflo, varistream,

hose reel and pole (maybe extra DI vessel as well?)

Daqua kits come with CLX 50% carbon pole, not much more for 100%

carbon SLX, so its probably worth spending the money there even if just one pole.

Nice one
Still best you to use twin di's though as will help reduce your resin bill.
Cheers, will def get 2 DI's then.

Time to start van hunting now - dithered a few days ago and missed

an 07 100k transit in good nick for 3500...

Then again at that price its also likely dual mass and/or injectors may have

been showing early signs of needing to be changed.

Still, I should have gone and looked at it all the same.

If your going to run as a 2 man setup then might be better to go for a bigger van tank say min 650. That way you don't have to worry about topping it up with tap water when out and about doing larger jobs or a full days worth of work for 2 operators hopefully.

If your going to run as a 2 man setup then might be better to go for a bigger van tank say min 650. That way you don't have to worry about topping it up with tap water when out and about doing larger jobs or a full days worth of work for 2 operators hopefully.
Makes sense and a 650 is only £70 more than a 400.

Wonder if Daqua would swap the 400 for

a 650 and add £70 to the kit price...

They might not as I basket checked the kit with individual parts, I think

the kit was already discounted by about 100-150 compared

to individual parts.

Don't ask you don't get, so I will def ask.

Cheers for pointing that out /emoticons/smile.png

Best make sure you then get a van with a good max payload and get the tank framed and bolted down properly

Best make sure you then get a van with a good max payload and get the tank framed and bolted down properly
Yeah with you 100% on that one, just been doing a forum search on securing tanks - got to be metal frame properly bolted.

Agree on payload too - looking for 1100kg+ payload so CDV is out for sure.

Transit / vivaro etc. I know a transit T260 payload is a bit close to the wire

once other gear is added as well, so T280 / 300 and above or equivalent

vauxhall / Renault etc.

Securing 650-900kg is not something to skimp on.

http://www.ionicsystems.co.uk/en/crash_testing_barrier_tests.php

Back