Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

backflushing

You backflush your ro for 24 hours?! I thought it just needed to be done for an hour when changing filters :whistle:

The salt takes about 5 to 10 minutes on an Ionics system.I've always done it but then a lot of people have told me salt washing is unnecessary. So many differing opinions from the manufacturers!

Salt is for the water softener. Flush through after producing about 1000 ltrs of pure, takes about 10 mins for the salt to disappear.

Backwash is for the RO, 20 mins about once a week.

The salt takes about 5 to 10 minutes on an Ionics system.I've always done it but then a lot of people have told me salt washing is unnecessary. So many differing opinions from the manufacturers!
Their advise will always be in accord with their agenda. There was a recent post about a well know supplier who won't fit a carbon block prefilter to their filtration products. Chlorine destroys r/o membranes and a carbon block prefilter removes the chlorine. Add 2 and 2 together and it will equate to early membrane replacement, more sales and more profit.

If you live in a hard water area, then a water softener (not really the name name for it TBH) will remove the magnesium and calcium ions from the water and replace them with sodium ions. Sodium ions are then removed by the r/o membrane. Membranes handle sodium ions much easier that magnesium and calcium ions so will last longer. (If you put tap water with a tds of 450 through a water softener, the tds will be the same at the other end. It will just have a different composition of totally dissolved solids.)

If you want honest to goodness advice then suppliers such as Gardiners, Daqua and a few others are highly recommended.

Back